Isle of Man Budget 2022-23

0bserver

9 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Well spotted. Presumably 27 high rollers. What possible justification can there be for that?

Assuming senior personnel with relevant industry background then it is probably from benchmarking against similar roles in private industry and in the UK.   Whether you feel that is justified in the MUA or not is your personal opinion but I feel fairly confident in saying that this would be the justification they will provide.

• Like 1

It amazes me and worries me in equal measures that for an island that was so badly hit by the MEA 'unsecured/illegal' loans saga, Tynwald is showing such a gung ho attitude towards throwing cash at 'green/net zero' initiatives without a clear and carefully planned road map. 

Lessons clearly haven't been learned otherwise we wouldn't be spending a single penny without a fully costed belt and braces plan for reducing carbon emissions. All we have is a highly paid team of civil servants and a website with a list of fuzzy ambitions. 

image.png.ef6b8737bf9b1ffc5f2ecd2561a48cc4.png

Maybe I'm being pessimistic but then remember government's track record for delivering projects over the last 30 years is an absolute failure and national embarrassment.   No oversight, no project planning, no budget control and no accountability. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

16 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Assuming senior personnel with relevant industry background then it is probably from benchmarking against similar roles in private industry and in the UK.   Whether you feel that is justified in the MUA or not is your personal opinion but I feel fairly confident in saying that this would be the justification they will provide.

Ah the old " we need to follow the UK" defence, trotted out whenever suits. 

A lot of callers on MR today agreeing with Stu regarding the ridiculous amount put aside for climate change without any plan let alone a clear one. We all know what happens to money that is not marked out for an agreed project it gets swallowed up and diverted, squandered without explanation or justification.    How many people are actively employed to manage Climate change policies, do they even have a policy ?   or any plan for going forward at the moment it is all like Scotch mist and this awesome amount of money has been allotted to a blank sheet of paper.   No words can justify this.  Yes we must support Climate change but throwing money at a situation never works.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

A lot of callers on MR today agreeing with Stu regarding the ridiculous amount put aside for climate change without any plan let alone a clear one. We all know what happens to money that is not marked out for an agreed project it gets swallowed up and diverted, squandered without explanation or justification.    How many people are actively employed to manage Climate change policies, do they even have a policy ?   or any plan for going forward at the moment it is all like Scotch mist and this awesome amount of money has been allotted to a blank sheet of paper.   No words can justify this.  Yes we must support Climate change but throwing money at a situation never works.

They are all competing with each other with what the £42million can be spent. I’m sure the consultants and the developers will have it spent without anything tangible to show - consultants fees, architects fees, chartered surveyors and civil engineers etc. It will end up never ending begging bowl, but it will shut Daffy up and keep her out of the reach of the grown ups. There will conflict at some point between the developers, planners and green lobby - example Proposed estate off Ballafletcher Road - if this Daffy Board has any real teeth, then the development will never become reality. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

I think a lot of CoC member businesses are going to have genuine problems with the minimum wage change. They’ve just had two years of Covid and as Claire Christian pointed out in her speech refusing to approve the budget many have taken on debt to keep their businesses afloat. A lot probably can’t afford it. 

I agree, but it’s the CoC attitude, sucking up to Government, get something then moan whilst holding out the bowl. Having cake and eating it.