Isle of Man Budget 2022-23

0bserver

33 minutes ago, 2112 said:

They are all competing with each other with what the £42million can be spent. I’m sure the consultants and the developers will have it spent without anything tangible to show - consultants fees, architects fees, chartered surveyors and civil engineers etc. It will end up never ending begging bowl, but it will shut Daffy up and keep her out of the reach of the grown ups. There will conflict at some point between the developers, planners and green lobby - example Proposed estate off Ballafletcher Road - if this Daffy Board has any real teeth, then the development will never become reality. 

I'm sure there will be plenty of excited pockets queuing up to be lined!

51 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

A lot of callers on MR today agreeing with Stu regarding the ridiculous amount put aside for climate change without any plan let alone a clear one. We all know what happens to money that is not marked out for an agreed project it gets swallowed up and diverted, squandered without explanation or justification.    How many people are actively employed to manage Climate change policies, do they even have a policy ?   or any plan for going forward at the moment it is all like Scotch mist and this awesome amount of money has been allotted to a blank sheet of paper.   No words can justify this.  Yes we must support Climate change but throwing money at a situation never works.

A lot of callers, people in general are idiots. It's good to see money put aside for climate change mitigation, I doubt Alf will hand it out willy-nilly. The island is a disgrace compared to other countries.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I thought I might bake a cake to represent income...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/climate-change-funding-impossible-to-justify-says-mhk/

I am bit puzzled as to why @Stu Peters thinks he is suitable qualified to challenge the views of world leaders and the Professional scientists that they are advised by with his climate change denial. Sure we are all entitled to a view but in some situations you should keep your gob tightly shut if your view is not based upon knowledge, qualification or experience. This is even more so when you have the power to influence or be representing others.

Well that's unless Stu has forgotten/omitted to cite his qualifications in the field on his linkedin page

image.png.9e254374364974dcf6c2471b5d90d077.png

Edited by Happier diner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't see why the IoM population should be disproportionately trying to save the planet. If IoM taxpayers are shelling out £43 million, English taxpayers should be doing their bit and contributing £30 billion. If the IoM has to be littered with wind turbines to support a mere 80,000, a set of wind turbines should be erected straight down the middle of The Mall - amongst many other places.

Neither of those things are going to happen.

But the £43 million will go the way of the power station, landing stage, prom., vaccination centres,, ad infinitum.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I am bit puzzled as to why @Stu Peters thinks he is suitable qualified to challenge the views of world leaders and the Professional scientists

You don't have to be a world leader or scientist to be able to see the next unaccountable fuck up approaching from Isle of Man Government. 

There needs to be a plan set out in black and white as to where this money is expected to go and what the expected benefits of spending it will be. Until then not a single penny should be spent on it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

A lot of callers on MR today agreeing with Stu regarding the ridiculous amount put aside for climate change without any plan let alone a clear one. We all know what happens to money that is not marked out for an agreed project it gets swallowed up and diverted, squandered without explanation or justification.    How many people are actively employed to manage Climate change policies, do they even have a policy ?   or any plan for going forward at the moment it is all like Scotch mist and this awesome amount of money has been allotted to a blank sheet of paper.   No words can justify this.  Yes we must support Climate change but throwing money at a situation never works.

I agree with Stu as well although I don’t share his view that climate is all scare stories.

The real emergency for Iom is housing ,mental health & poverty which seem to have got very little compared to climate change 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

A lot of callers on MR today agreeing with Stu regarding the ridiculous amount put aside for climate change without any plan let alone a clear one. We all know what happens to money that is not marked out for an agreed project it gets swallowed up and diverted, squandered without explanation or justification.  

The problem is they've put together a Climate Change Citizens' Forum comprised only of people who want to see drastic action to 'stop climate change'. In doing so they have created an echo chamber devoid of any other ideas or opinions.  This has resulted in them believing they have 100% backing from the GMP to spend freely as they see fit. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/climate-change-funding-impossible-to-justify-says-mhk/

I am bit puzzled as to why @Stu Peters thinks he is suitable qualified to challenge the views of world leaders and the Professional scientists that they are advised by with his climate change denial. Sure we are all entitled to a view but in some situations you should keep your gob tightly shut if your view is not based upon knowledge, qualification or experience. This is even more so when you have the power to influence or be representing others.

1. Don't question Stu on this as he will just tar you as being a troll/bottom feeder as he did to me in another thread when I dared ask a sitting MHK a question regarding his views on climate change relating to the below comment made on his facebook page (below)

2. Stu also voted in favour of the budget so he doesn't seem to have been that upset by the Climate Change funding and if he was then he has just fallen into line with everyone else rather than stand up for his beliefs. 

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Banker said:

I agree with Stu as well although I don’t share his view that climate is all scare stories.

The real emergency for Iom is housing ,mental health & poverty which seem to have got very little compared to climate change 

Yep agreed.  We have more pressing problems that need to be immediately addressed.  Perhaps a petition to find a better use for this climate fund might show the appetite for it

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Banker said:

Although Stu has been quiet on all those issues since his election. And let's not forget that he did vote for the budget.

I think it's fair to say that Stu is now well doctrinated into the IOM establishment. It's funny how £70k per year knocks the radicalism out of some people.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

You don't have to be a world leader or scientist to be able to see the next unaccountable fuck up approaching from Isle of Man Government. 

There needs to be a plan set out in black and white as to where this money is expected to go and what the expected benefits of spending it will be. Until then not a single penny should be spent on it. 

44 minutes ago, Banker said:

I'm not talking about his view on allocation of moneys. I am talking about his view on climate change.

I agree it's very disingenuous to vote for something then appear on the NPM saying how he disagrees with it.

Seems he is even less of a conviction politician than he his scientist.....if that's possible. 

Edited by Happier diner