Isle of Man Budget 2022-23

0bserver

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

The problem with that is that they’re desperate to spend it. The £400M green bond proceeds can only be spent on green things. So they’re going to have to think of a load of green applications to make up in order to be able to spend the money. 

Well they used part to refinance MUA debt & steam packet boat so I don’t think there’s an issue spending some on housing which is well insulated etc would be a problem 

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/climate-change-funding-impossible-to-justify-says-mhk/

I am bit puzzled as to why @Stu Peters thinks he is suitable qualified to challenge the views of world leaders and the Professional scientists that they are advised by with his climate change denial. Sure we are all entitled to a view but in some situations you should keep your gob tightly shut if your view is not based upon knowledge, qualification or experience. This is even more so when you have the power to influence or be representing others.

Well that's unless Stu has forgotten/omitted to cite his qualifications in the field on his linkedin page

One of the many lessons to take from the pandemic is that people with seemingly impeccable credentials can in fact talk lots of shit.

Edit - this is in no way an endorsement of the frankly bizarre views of Mr Peters.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

1. Don't question Stu on this as he will just tar you as being a troll/bottom feeder as he did to me in another thread when I dared ask a sitting MHK a question regarding his views on climate change relating to the below comment made on his facebook page (below)

2. Stu also voted in favour of the budget so he doesn't seem to have been that upset by the Climate Change funding and if he was then he has just fallen into line with everyone else rather than stand up for his beliefs. 

Capture.JPG

But as you can see from this SP has never been one to let facts get in the way of his prejudices.  Whilst engines and mechanisation may have fuelled the industrial revolution I don't think it was the combustion engine. It was the steam engine that was the engines that provided the power in mills, mines and factories. Stream engines opened up travel for the masses and the shipment of goods on the railways and across oceans.

There is much to tear apart in the SP's post but I cannot be bothered e.g. the simplistic argument that he would welcome a 2 degree rise in temperature in the IoM. Obviously SP does not realise that climate is more than just temperature. Would SP welcome a  lot less sunshine in the IoM, a large increase in rain and storms? 

It dispiriting when you read many of SP's posts e.g. on the "follow the Money" thread to think that is is the calibre of cognitive thinking that one of our 24hrs demonstrates in public. I don't expect to agree with the views of all politicians e.g they might believe option A is a better way to solve X and I might think policy B would be a better option but I would rather like the politicians to actually accept the facts and demonstrate a reasonable cognitive process when reaching a decision.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

If I remember correctly, weren't there quite a few companies set up with the sole aim of reducing carbon footprint. Again from memory, all that happened was they got rich quick. 

It was as bountiful as the Millennium bug-busting industry.

All in all, I found it a bit of a budget non-event. As said already here, there seems to be a rush to spend the £s they have for “green” purposes. There is a temptation from many to jump on this train of Coolness and fritter away a lot of money on anything that looks to be climate-worthy. I am sure a chunk of it will be expended in conference attendance and visits for MHKs and other nature-loving types, which will result in very little. Other chunks will be devoted to wishful thinking projects that only succeed and making some people wealthy. There needs to be proper governance and challenge to the £42m expenditure and a focus on things that actually deliver something tangible.
It’s blowing a hoolie at the moment. Any chance we might see a few more wind turbines around the island before the money is spent? A few more solar panels and a bit of assistance to promote home generation and energy efficiency might be practical uses for the money. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

But as you can see from this SP has never been one to let facts get in the way of his prejudices.  Whilst engines and mechanisation may have fuelled the industrial revolution I don't think it was the combustion engine. It was the steam engine that was the engines that provided the power in mills, mines and factories. Stream engines opened up travel for the masses and the shipment of goods on the railways and across oceans.

There is much to tear apart in the SP's post but I cannot be bothered e.g. the simplistic argument that he would welcome a 2 degree rise in temperature in the IoM. Obviously SP does not realise that climate is more than just temperature. Would SP welcome a  lot less sunshine in the IoM, a large increase in rain and storms? 

It dispiriting when you read many of SP's posts e.g. on the "follow the Money" thread to think that is is the calibre of cognitive thinking that one of our 24hrs demonstrates in public. I don't expect to agree with the views of all politicians e.g they might believe option A is a better way to solve X and I might think policy B would be a better option but I would rather like the politicians to actually accept the facts and demonstrate a reasonable cognitive process when reaching a decision.   

Not that being an MHK has gone to his head or anything. Whens the next general election again?

10 minutes ago, forestboy said:

Bit fed up with the Stu bashing on here. 

SP bashing? What SP has had on here is a bit of mild criticism generally in reaction to his posts. Posts that he appears either unwilling or unable to defend even when questioned in a polite manner. See Chinahand's posts in the "Follow the Money" thread that SP started.

There are plenty who get an absolute load of abuse on here just for who they are. In resent times that includes the likes of  Josem, Quayle, Quirk, Glover, Ashord, Callister. Some of that is very vitriolic and barely a word is said. I therefore find it rather hypocritical to see cries of "lay off good old SP" when he receives criticism for what he posts etc but anything goes in respect of others. Apply the same standards across the board.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

SP bashing? What SP has had on here is a bit of mild criticism generally in reaction to his posts. Posts that he appears either unwilling or unable to defend even when questioned in a polite manner. See Chinahand's posts in the "Follow the Money" thread that SP started.

There are plenty who get an absolute load of abuse on here just for who they are. In resent times that includes the likes of  Josem, Quayle, Quirk, Glover, Ashord, Callister. Some of that is very vitriolic and barely a word is said. I therefore find it rather hypocritical to see cries of "lay off good old SP" when he receives criticism for what he posts etc but anything goes in respect of others. Apply the same standards across the board.  

forestboy mostly posts to defend Stu these days, from any and all criticism. Not sure if he's hoping Stu will sleep with him or what.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, joebean said:

It’s blowing a hoolie at the moment. Any chance we might see a few more wind turbines around the island before the money is spent? A few more solar panels and a bit of assistance to promote home generation and energy efficiency might be practical uses for the money. 

Or more realistically, another cable to the UK, and purchase all our electricity from them. Let the UK spend the money on windmills and nuclear. 

As a point, windmills need a good amount of wind to work. However, on days like today there is too much wind so they put the brakes on and stop to prevent damage. 

• Like 4