Isle of Man Budget 2022-23

0bserver

3 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Or more realistically, another cable to the UK, and purchase all our electricity from them. Let the UK spend the money on windmills and nuclear. 

As a point, windmills need a good amount of wind to work. However, on days like today there is too much wind so they put the brakes on and stop to prevent damage. 

That’s true but wind is a great resource for the Island. It is not and never will be the total solution but it can be a part of it. I’m not sure that the UK is going to be in a position to export energy in the future but if it were, an additional cable would be a sound investment. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hissingsid said:

So Daphne is getting 42 million to promote climate change….words fail me.   It is far too much considering the current financial climate and not enough to actually do anything positive.    I expect there will be a load of green inspired jollies that she and her entourage will have to attend so the money will be well spent 🥵 and I am sure the people who use the food bank and sit in the cold will realise it is for the greater good.

Whatever they spend the money on, I have a bad feeling it will go the way of millions upon millions before it. Capital investment is not something we do well, however I do confess for a number of years we have been "learning lessons", so lets hope for a better usage of public money this time !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, asitis said:

Whatever they spend the money on, I have a bad feeling it will go the way of millions upon millions before it. Capital investment is not something we do well, however I do confess for a number of years we have been "learning lessons", so lets hope for a better usage of public money this time !

I predict legions of snake oil salesmen queuing up to fill their boots!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, forestboy said:

Bit fed up with the Stu bashing on here. 

I think Stu is only too well aware that what he said would be very unpopular with many and, although I completely disagree with him, I begrudgingly admire him for saying it anyway. He's no stranger to controversy and criticism and that shouldn't change just because he's an MHK.

My criticism of him was based on the fact he voted for the budget anyway ( I'm sure he'll explain that) and also apparent lack of any attempt to bring about any change to the things he thinks are more important and pressing than climate change. If he can be vocal about them when he's using them to back up his position on climate change and when he's trying to get himself elected, the very least he could do is try to encourage some change by being vocal about them when he's nothing to gain from it too. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, joebean said:

That’s true but wind is a great resource for the Island. It is not and never will be the total solution but it can be a part of it. I’m not sure that the UK is going to be in a position to export energy in the future but if it were, an additional cable would be a sound investment. 

Two additional cables. The one we have is not big enough and at end of life

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes it should if its not based upon any science and something he has absolute no knowledge or experience of.

Don't get me wrong, I think Stu's views on climate change are ridiculous. I also dispaired at the voters of Middle when they elected him.

But he certainly shouldn't hold back from expressing those views just because he's been elected. If the people of Middle don't like what he says they are free to democratically get rid of him, just like they democratically elected him. I wouldn't have it any other way despite the fact I invariably disagree with him and don't think he was the best candidate to be elected. 

5 minutes ago, finlo said:

Serious question, how/why is it end of life especially as it not exactly old?

New cables have a lifetime of up to 40 years depending on the seabed. Takes a lot of planning and surveying before a cable is laid.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

Serious question, how/why is it end of life especially as it not exactly old?

It's political speak for "we want a new one". The primary school I went to was built in the 60's with an intended 10 year life span ( a thrown up stop gap I guess). It is still in use today and as far as I know there are no plans to replace it.

Without rehashing the whole climate emergency debate, I'll just add that I voted for the budget because I agreed with 99% of it.

It's funny how people who phone the Mannin Line are idiots "A lot of callers, people in general are idiots" (R2D2GD4ELP) but not people on MF. Irony from the land of clotted cream.

My views and vote are extremely unlikely to have done me any favours, but I promised voters honesty and plan to stick with that rather than pandering to the mainstream (and much easier) options. Politicians don't need to be experts to have views, and mine probably cost me more votes than they gained. But I'm old, have an interest in history (particularly how entire populations were conned into beliefs) so think I understand how things work today, and my opinions come from that and life experiences which Greta Thunberg (also not an expert) can only hope to match. But she's an Oracle and I'm an idiot.

So my desire to be elected Benevolent Dictator For Life remains a dream. It's all just a dream (wavy crossfade...)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

and my opinions come from that and life experiences which Greta Thunberg (also not an expert) can only hope to match

I think it's quite likely that Greta has had more relevant experience in the last 2 years than any of us have had in 10-40x that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1