Isle of Man Budget 2022-23

0bserver

4 hours ago, Lost Login said:

There are plenty who get an absolute load of abuse on here just for who they are. In resent times that includes the likes of  Josem, Quayle, Quirk, Glover, Ashord, Callister. Some of that is very vitriolic and barely a word is said. I therefore find it rather hypocritical to see cries of "lay off good old SP" when he receives criticism for what he posts etc but anything goes in respect of others. Apply the same standards across the board.  

You're not wrong there, the inconsistency in editorial standards on Manx Forums when it comes to the level of criticism allowed of certain local politicos is clear for anyone who cares to look to see.

I made a fairly innocuous post relative to the unwarranted vitriol levelled at Josem by another local political figure during the run-up to the general election in September. It resulted in an instant 3 month ban with no justifying correspondence beyond the declaration of 'abusive behaviour', and took me off the board for the election period. Most peculiar. I believe it also took another popular user off the board for a lengthy ban for commenting about it. Apparently all such bans are made on a consultative basis, so there's clearly some sort of agenda there. 

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

I do wonder how SP regards his outrages will go down with his electorate?

Many don't care and that is not just re SP. A substantial proportion of the electorate just appear to vote for a name or face they recognise and the person seems nice. Hence the long history of the likes postmen etc being elected, one terms MLC's being elected. vote numbers going up between a bi-election and a general election.

The chances that both SP and TG, or even just one of them, would have been elected if they had not been long time Manx Radio presenters are probably pretty remote.  

31 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

As I understand it, the current interconnector is good for 800MW. That's the current island demand. However if there was no oil or gas that would rise to some 1200MW. Not enough. So pully would still be needed. Does that make sense? 

I think your figures are a bit awry there it's only rated at 40 MW isn't it?

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:
1 hour ago, cissolt said:

Did anyone make it all the way through economics professor Ashford's speech? 

I always imagine he has a vast library of self help tapes and DVDs at home that he uses to programme himself with as he goes to sleep. Goes to bed as a lowly former project manager wakes up as Rishi Sunak. 

Ashford IS Joe-90!!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

Many don't care and that is not just re SP.

...but that does allow such as SP to have a platform for their outrageous views for five years and to hell with the next election?

Heading towards Trumpism and QAon???

Edited by Kopek

A lot of people share Stu Peters views or could not care less about climate change.   I am concerned about climate change and when the Government come up with a clear plan to make moves to help the environment I will be delighted until then however I think it is scandalous that millions of pounds are earmarked with no forward pathway and no firm ideas.   That money could be made better use of at this moment in time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

A lot of people share Stu Peters views or could not care less about climate change.   I am concerned about climate change and when the Government come up with a clear plan to make moves to help the environment I will be delighted until then however I think it is scandalous that millions of pounds are earmarked with no forward pathway and no firm ideas.   That money could be made better use of at this moment in time.

I totally agree although one difference between SP and many others who do not care about climate change is that they do not have a public pulpit to deny science nor are they paid to make long term decisions in the best interest of the Isle of Man based on available facts and information.

In terms of taking action in respect of climate change, which I would be in favour of even if it was a myth, the one thing I would like to see is buildings, if occupied as homes, offices, being better to much higher insulation standards and action taken to improve how existing buildings. Spending less and using less resources to heat a building, office seems a no brainer to me whatever your view on climate change.

• Like 1

Have there been any figures quoted to claim ongoing burgeoning economic growth? It's ten years now since Eddie Teare's remarkable contributions to fiscal and economic science. Has Ashford picked up the ball and run any further with it?

4 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Mmmm Stu Peters or Greta ...despite the age gap no contest . I'd pay to listen to her but no way to Stu Peters 

You would pay to listen to Greta Thurnberg?

Seriously?

I’m sure I can find a few podcasts in which this earnest but deluded teenager presents or participates. I’ll send them to you for a few quid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I guess you haven’t seen the latest scientific studies 

showing that what extinction rebellion the Green Party etc are claiming , are wrong 

It shows their evidence Is based on outdated data 

but it probably fits the greenies agenda 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Markduc said:

I guess you haven’t seen the latest scientific studies 

showing that what extinction rebellion the Green Party etc are claiming , are wrong 

It shows their evidence Is based on outdated data 

but it probably fits the greenies agenda 

Care to share these scientific studies which have been peer reviewed?