Isle of Man Budget 2022-23

0bserver

14 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Does anyone else think it's odd that we have 24 MHK's on £70K, 11 MLC's and scores of civil servants on £100K plus, yet we still have to employ KPMG on Christ knows how much to tell us how to take the Island forward financially?

We also had to employ accountants at great expense to do the access to cash report telling us we need some ATMs in the west & south , why couldn’t DOE not do it themselves!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Nothing will be mentioned about road tax.  By the end of the week the DoI will announce an increase - it always seems to work like that.

Their huge proposed increases via new assessment methods got knocked back last time, at least partly on the grounds that it hadn't been mentioned in the Budget.

One would doubt that they'll be forgotten about though - they'll be back.

• Like 1

It's funny how we had all the kerfuffle over Alf's Island Plan not being out long enough for public feedback... yet every year Treasury whip out the budget document and Tynwald vote it through. 

Granted Tynwald members get longer to look at it. But there's zero public engagement with the process. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

It's funny how we had all the kerfuffle over Alf's Island Plan not being out long enough for public feedback... yet every year Treasury whip out the budget document and Tynwald vote it through. 

Granted Tynwald members get longer to look at it. But there's zero public engagement with the process. 

And this budget will be no different. More than their life's worth to vote against it. 

I do think though that NI will go up in line with UK and be amazed if Car tax doesn't go up and equally surprised if allowances stay the same due to the public sector wage rise due. Fully expect them to increase a small amount to 'ease the burden' on the low income groups .  Sweeten the effect for us plebs . Be interesting to see if pensions go up for the same reason .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

The secret budget process is unjustified in the modern age of transparency. It dates back to when the Governor was in charge of the order strings. Yet other than Watterson no-one seems to want to change it. If I recall correctly we are one of the only jurisdictions in the Western World to have a completely secret budget process.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

The secret budget process is unjustified in the modern age of transparency. It dates back to when the Governor was in charge of the order strings. Yet other than Watterson no-one seems to want to change it. If I recall correctly we are one of the only jurisdictions in the Western World to have a completely secret budget process.

Lets be honest, getting anything out of our government is nigh impossible on a good day !. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

If I recall correctly we are one of the only jurisdictions in the Western World to have a completely secret budget process.

It's to avoid civil unrest....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Does anyone else think it's odd that we have 24 MHK's on £70K, 11 MLC's and scores of civil servants on £100K plus, yet we still have to employ KPMG on Christ knows how much to tell us how to take the Island forward financially?

One of the main purpose of the high salaries is to ramp up their pension, the big wonga at the end of the month is great of course but it's all about the government superann.

On another note - and this I have come across on a number of occasions since Howard had influence as Chief Minister, but it might be coincidence - people on very low salaries have been getting investigated by the taxman, who don't believe they could live off the low income declared, and so they have been getting thoroughly investigated. Of course, this takes pressure off the high salary earners who might be dodging a lorra tax.

I believe the taxman early on 'got lucky' and this added incentive but from what I have been shown huge hours have gone into looking for a few hundred pounds, if that, of undeclared income. I do wonder if the change of focus was a directive from the top?

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 3

Interesting chat with two IOM Government workers this morning who seem to believe the public sector is in line for some kind of mega-pay deal as part of the budget. 

It would be interesting to see if this is just baseless or if Ashy is planning 6%+ pay rises all round. 

That would mean yet more misery for the private sector and just heap more woe onto the inflation figures. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Interesting chat with two IOM Government workers this morning who seem to believe the public sector is in line for some kind of mega-pay deal as part of the budget. 

It would be interesting to see if this is just baseless or if Ashy is planning 6%+ pay rises all round. 

That would mean yet more misery for the private sector and just heap more woe onto the inflation figures. 

Considering how secret the budget process is treated, unless they are in the Treasury I doubt they know.

• Like 1