Isle of Man Budget 2022-23

0bserver

4 hours ago, Mistercee said:

I gained the impression that the young lady thought that she was receiving £6,400 pa in benefits - the £6,400 is in fact a Single Patent tax allowance which, combined with the Single Person Allowance means that she will earn £20,900 before paying any tax. If the fact that the allowance has not been increased has an impact on her ability to live she must therefore be earning in excess of £21k pa which most people would not regard as the breadline.  

I do wish Manx Radio would do a simple fact check before giving these people airtime.  

I’m not sure she is earning anything . I don’t think there was any mention of her being employed in the piece. 
But I may be wrong.

8 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Daphne was on MR this morning saying how delighted she was to get the dosh she says things must be done to show things are being done, my words not hers and we must have eco houses and electric cars.    Now 42 million is a lot of money but how many eco houses could you build for that ? About 130 ish so that would be nice for 130 families but what about the rest of us ?   She was breathless with enthusiasm and I fear the worst.   Money accrued by the Government from the Tax payer should be used to benefit all the population because all the population have paid into the pot.

130 homes for sale? They will be well beyond the reach of normal people. Or eco social housing in Garff? Votes for Daffy me thinks. 

6 hours ago, Mistercee said:

Allowance means that she will earn £20,900 before paying any tax. If the fact that the allowance has not been increased has an impact on her ability to live she must therefore be earning in excess of £21k pa which most people would not regard as the breadline.  

Although it is below the government's own figure of what it costs to live here, based in a 40 hour week.

24 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

My pension is nowhere near that amount yet we are expected to live on it. Even  with my wife's pension we collectively only just get around that figure. Goodness knows what will happen when one of us dies.  

Without appearing too flippant one person will have less costs than 2😀

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

My pension is nowhere near that amount yet we are expected to live on it. Even  with my wife's pension we collectively only just get around that figure. Goodness knows what will happen when one of us dies.  

Insulting that the government are upping minimum wage which means anybody on a 37 hour week will be on over £18k a year yet those who have worked all their lives are expected to survive on £12k a year

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

Insulting that the government are upping minimum wage which means anybody on a 37 hour week will be on over £18k a year yet those who have worked all their lives are expected to survive on £12k a year

Those still working are much less likely to have a mortgage that has been paid off, of course.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Without appearing too flippant one person will have less costs than 2😀

This is true to a point but speaking as someone who lives alone and receiving my state pension its a big issue around rates time. Living in Douglas at that time is not good for finances . 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Those still working are much less likely to have a mortgage that has been paid off, of course.

Or actually reach retirement age as Government keep upping it and life expectancy is falling. 

They could always do what working people are being told to do and get a private pension.

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

This is true to a point but speaking as someone who lives alone and receiving my state pension its a big issue around rates time. Living in Douglas its not a good time for finances . 

Living on the Isle of Man is not a good place to be for finances full stop. 

Unless you're massively wealthy or a tax dodging tax capper. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

That seems a slightly unfair comparison in my view as one party is working and the other is not. If the non pensioner was not working then I think the pensioner would receive a lot more than the non pensioner.

The employee would also be paying about £1,500 in tax & NI if I have my calculations correct. Depending where they live they could easy be paying £500 a year for public transport to work. If you live in Ballasalla and work in Douglas you are looking I think at about £5 a day. Still a gap but not as stark as you suggest.

• Like 1

Just now, 0bserver said:

Living on the Isle of Man is not a good place to be for finances full stop. 

Unless you're massively wealthy or a tax dodging tax capper. 

I assure you I'm neither and I agree with you. Not a good time to be single and a pensioner.  Fortunately / unfortunately I struggled on incapacity for 7 years which was a nightmare but survived and meant I learnt to make a little last along way. Incapacity was £70 plus a week less than basic IOM pension