Isle of Man Budget 2022-23

0bserver

6 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

That seems a slightly unfair comparison in my view as one party is working and the other is not. If the non pensioner was not working then I think the pensioner would receive a lot more than the non pensioner.

The employee would also be paying about £1,500 in tax & NI if I have my calculations correct. Depending where they live they could easy be paying £500 a year for public transport to work. If you live in Ballasalla and work in Douglas you are looking I think at about £5 a day. Still a gap but not as stark as you suggest.

Plus £8k+ a year in rent/mortgage...

6 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Living on the Isle of Man is not a good place to be for finances full stop. 

Unless you're massively wealthy or a tax dodging tax capper. 

Not having that.

although some things are less expensive in the UK, the tax system in the IOM is extremely generous and it balances out. Rates are significantly lower, the ability to transfer allowances between spouses and there being no 40% band are massive benefits for the residents. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Not having that.

although some things are less expensive in the UK, the tax system in the IOM is extremely generous and it balances out. Rates are significantly lower, the ability to transfer allowances between spouses and there being no 40% band are massive benefits for the residents. 

That would seem to indicate that you are on a very good pension as the IoM tax system only really starts to become extremely generous if you have earnings in excess of £50,000. At £50k the tax saving is about £1,000 which is not to be sniffed at but could well be eaten up in costs of living in the IoM. I am ignoring other allowances 

I would not put it in the same words as Observer but I doubt you see a massive benefit unless your income is such that you would be a higher rate tax payer in the UK. I would like to see tax rates changed in the IoM to give greater benefit to lower earners so that those earning under say £30k see a bigger benefit with it being paid for by a 25% rate for those with income over £50K i.e. where the UK 40% rate kicks in.

• Like 1

"Living standards could fall"? He's either blind or taking the piss, they've been dropping like a stone for a good couple of years or more for a lot of people I'd suggest. Much of it fuelled by rising charges and cuts in services by Govt and LAs. Though obviously the Island isn't exempt from global fluctuations either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

They should've worked harder and eaten less avocado toast so they could buy a house. 

If those pensioners had done without the latest iphone when they were in their twenties they'd easily have made it onto the property ladder.

Edited by A fool and his money.....
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Not having that.

I usually agree with you Derek but I can't on this one. 

It might be fine if you're earning £50k+ and married. But there's many people who don't and aren't. 

It's not good for many and there is a sizeable underclass developing and growing. 

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

I usually agree with you Derek but I can't on this one. 

It might be fine if you're earning £50k+ and married. But there's many people who don't and aren't. 

It's not good for many and there is a sizeable underclass developing and growing. 

48 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I did my sums a few years ago. Then I reckoned that  with an income of 50k you were better off on the iom. I suspect its nearer 60k now.

Obviously , the real attraction is the lack of capital taxes. Many benefit from that.

Let’s take a median of say, £30k. A married couple would now pay no tax on that. A single person would pay about 3 grand? In the UK they would pay an additional £400. Rates will be lower, fuel charges higher. Insurances lower, cost for broadband higher.

I honestly think it balances out. I’m gettIng absolutely spanked though. Once you hit that 40% band it is brutal.

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I honestly think it balances out. I’m gettIng absolutely spanked though. Once you hit that 40% band it is brutal.

But surely you just pay the 40% on your earnings over the 40% band (about £50K isn't it?). So you have £50k of income that is taxed in exactly the same way as someone earning £50k or less. How is that getting spanked or brutal?

Genuine question, I don't know much about tax so may have interpreted it wrongly.