Isle of Man Budget 2022-23

0bserver

7 minutes ago, Josem said:

Because the EU's provisions on VAT requires a minimum rate of 15% of VAT on most things (standard rate), and a minimum rate of 5% of VAT on some things (eg, home heating) which are specifically identified by the EU in their directive. I think that the bit you highlighted (seeking a lowered VAT rate to 8%) is referring to an item (petrol*) which is covered by the standard rate, and not normally eligible for a lower rate.

Fine, but that still leaves the Polish Government with the option to lower the VAT from 23% to 15% which would still be an 8% reduction.  

This is why I said be careful using the Polish Government as an example.  They have their own anti-EU agenda which they are pushing (much to the annoyance of many of the ordinary people in Poland).  I am sorry to say it but Polish Politics is still not corruption free and can still be influenced by Russia.

11 hours ago, Josem said:

Since you still don't understand, you should consider learning how to use Google. Google is free and widely available on the Internet online at Google.com. You can type that web address into your browser to access it.

17 minutes ago, Josem said:

*I'm very uncertain about the tax treatment of Polish petrol, but this is a pretty bizarre tangent generated by the so-called "ManxTaxPayer" who claims that he/she does not "understand". It is sad that we have people participating in bad-faith like the so-called "ManxTaxPayer" trying to confuse y'all.

You seem a little patronising and rather rude. I'm not sure I'd welcome any sort of alliance with you. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Banker said:

I would think taxes will need to go up to pay for everything that’s planned plus social care with Ashford already saying we need to discuss how the social care costs will be funded.

Ashie is in Mannin line today so presumably some questions around taxes will be answered 

Does 'discuss' mean adopting any plan the folks he admires in Downing Street decide upon?

1 hour ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

As rules go, the constrains of the EU rules regarding VAT on energy don't seem to be very, err, constraining. 

You are right that the EU appears to impose no constraint on increasing taxes in this area.

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

Does 'discuss' mean adopting any plan the folks he admires in Downing Street decide upon?

Probably! The ever increasing social care costs need addressing soon plus a suitable cap on total costs, at £1k a week it doesn’t take long to burn through the money 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/20/2022 at 11:14 AM, Non-Believer said:

On the subject of budgeting, can anybody confirm the following please?

A chap I know who does a plant contracting/hire told me yesterday that from April the use of the good old Red Diesel is to be finally outlawed in all plant other than purely agricultural. So any sector such as plant hire, construction etc currently running their plant on red will have to move to running on white DERV with its higher taxation rate. Said chap said this will be another cost that is going to have to be passed on to the customer and is pissed off because he sees it as another blow to the small operator.

Customs and Excise have apparently already started offering advice and doing checks, to include the agricultural sector to ensure that its exclusion is not being abused. Can anybody confirm?

Screenshot_20220224-073738_Chrome.jpg

if ever there was a time in the history of the Isle of man  for government to take time  out  to reflect whats happening in the world around us , record food and energy costs  local people in dire need , 2 years of covid  support ,  huge hospital and medical waiting lists   no doctors , dentists   ,crumbling infrastructure  raw sewage on the beaches ,    the prospect of a major war in  eastern Europe ,  and we can still  find £42 million to tick a few boxes so we can say were tackling global warming ,

I am afraid a dose of realism is urgently required in the corridors of government buildings  before the Isle of man looses the plot completely 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 9