Isle of Man Budget 2022-23

0bserver

9 hours ago, 0bserver said:

It's funny how we had all the kerfuffle over Alf's Island Plan not being out long enough for public feedback... yet every year Treasury whip out the budget document and Tynwald vote it through. 

Granted Tynwald members get longer to look at it. But there's zero public engagement with the process. 

Perhaps the new lot, the more enamoured militant mob, may rebel against the budget. It worked to a degree with the island plan, if enough kick off, perhaps some elements of the budget which are deemed offensive may be toned down or tweaked and presented for approval in March’s Sitting. 

Edited by 2112

27 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

One of them has roots in Treasury. But let's wait and see.

So the Government borrow £400million, then give themselves a huge pay rise. About right. Why don't they next have a huge recruiting scheme for the civil service

Edited by Holte End
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Holte End said:

So the Government borrow £400million, then give themselves a huge pay rise. About right. Why don't they next have a huge recruiting scheme for the civil service

They already are having a huge recruiting scheme. Every register created requires an army of civil servants, every new initiative requires a office staffed by legions of CM devotees. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Interesting chat with two IOM Government workers this morning who seem to believe the public sector is in line for some kind of mega-pay deal as part of the budget. 

It would be interesting to see if this is just baseless or if Ashy is planning 6%+ pay rises all round. 

That would mean yet more misery for the private sector and just heap more woe onto the inflation figures. 

Is any Public sector pay rise part of the budget ? Genuine question . Cant remember and they seem to get them on a whim. 

Well , inflation is at a perceived 6% so that would follow in there thought process. Wonder if benefits and pensions will equally be rewarded !!??  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Is any Public sector pay rise part of the budget ? Genuine question . Cant remember and they seem to get them on a whim. 

Well , inflation is at a perceived 6% so that would follow in there thought process. Wonder if benefits and pensions will equally be rewarded !!??  

52 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

What huge pay rise? Can you see into the future?

1 minute ago, Holte End said:

Soothsaying is just a hobby, but I was just replying to an earlier post by Observer.

On occasions Departments are told to fund pay rises out of existing budgets, but 'if' they are proposing 6% pay rises that wouldn't be possible without slashing services. 

Ideally a public sector pay freeze for the next 3 years (excluding health) would be preferable and give public finances a chance to recover. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

On occasions Departments are told to fund pay rises out of existing budgets, but 'if' they are proposing 6% pay rises that wouldn't be possible without slashing services. 

Ideally a public sector pay freeze for the next 3 years (excluding health) would be preferable and give public finances a chance to recover. 

Who is proposing 6% pay rises? Departments obviously have to pay for pay rises out of their budgets.

All the Public sector get the same pay rise and its in June as far as I am aware. So how can people on here start criticising something that hasn't happened yet and indeed  is not due to happen for months.

I am as happy as the next man to criticise our CS's and public workers when it is due, but I am not so mean that I am going to preempt their actions.

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Well it would be pretty silly to not budget for pay rises wouldn't it. However they are not the same process (ie they are not directly linked). Pay rises are negotiated with the unions.  I imagine that when the budget is set, an estimate of the pay rise would have to be used as it hasn't happened yet.

44 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Who is proposing 6% pay rises? Departments obviously have to pay for pay rises out of their budgets.

All the Public sector get the same pay rise and its in June as far as I am aware. So how can people on here start criticising something that hasn't happened yet and indeed  is not due to happen for months.

I am as happy as the next man to criticise our CS's and public workers when it is due, but I am not so mean that I am going to preempt their actions.

Because anything less than 6% is apparently a slap in the face - according to the Unions and Alf is too scared to tackle them head on. 

• Like 1

The PS negotiators will more than likely go in with an initial demand of inflation plus 1% or 2% initially. Anything else represents a cut in real terms. What happens during the horse trading that follows is anybody's guess but it will more than likely be settled over adjustments to terms and @ 4%.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The PS negotiators will more than likely go in with an initial demand of inflation plus 1% or 2% initially. Anything else represents a cut in real terms. What happens during the horse trading that follows is anybody's guess but it will more than likely be settled over adjustments to terms and @ 4%.

Which will do nothing but help inflation to surge on the Isle of Man. 

There needs to be a separate negotiation for workers earning less than (say) £30,000. Giving a 4% rise to someone earning £100k is obscene. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Don't forget the road tax or however you wish to refer to it.

17 hours ago, x-in-man said:

Nothing will be mentioned about road tax.  By the end of the week the DoI will announce an increase - it always seems to work like that.

Lest we forget, up until quite recently the Isle of Man always had significantly lower road tax than UK, what with all their many miles of motorway and big bridges etc.

Good ol' Manxie Minister Phil Gawne was always seemed keen to slip in a road tax increase when he was the man. I believe he has the dubious accolade of being the minister when road tax on the Isle of Man overtook that of UK. Once that barrier was broken, then its carte blanche to keep it going.

Whichever way you dress that up, it's fucking shit.

• Like 4