Isle of Man Budget 2022-23

0bserver

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

Breakdown here of where money goes, a net £1000 for every resident goes towards government employees pensions!!

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/budget-14044-of-spending-per-person-on-island/?fbclid=IwAR2S5HEIjjbzFXIifZbXsVy4AQo8u4BPP-up0jWAuf0pRr2xLYIu7aAL-6k

Per head of population:

Education £1,455

Government pensions £1,384

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Banker said:

They get £400 back from contributions no net £1k but the benefits need capping,reducing to reduce contributions/liabilities.

Yet when you strip away the money sent over to the UK Universities then we are actually spending MORE on government pensions than we are on Education. Absolutely mental. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

It's a good thing to take low to earners out of the taxation system

State pensions facing huge living cost increases should have a more generous increase

It is a good thing to take low earners out of the tax system, However this increase in the threshold is a token gesture and wont go anywhere when you consider the current rate of inflation so low earners will be much worse off and not better off as a result of this budget.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

Interesting only £2m for the housing & community board but £42m for climate change, I would have reversed the figures as housing is much more important for island residents than the impact we can have on climate 

All 'green' spending should be suspended until there is a clear roadmap and adopting best international practise. 

No issue with doing things to improve the situation, but big issues with building up the massive green empire like they are. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

All 'green' spending should be suspended until there is a clear roadmap and adopting best international practise. 

No issue with doing things to improve the situation, but big issues with building up the massive green empire like they are. 

New and shiny.. 

Ignore the difficult stuff. I wonder if net zero site provides a direct link to the TT site, apparently coming home, having dropped TT zero 🤔 they'll need more than a million to cover the cost of the carnage on the roads as over excited bikers celebrate being back.

As for a strategy for 500,000 visitors. Come on, you're having a laugh. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, english zloty said:

New and shiny.. 

Ignore the difficult stuff. I wonder if net zero site provides a direct link to the TT site, apparently coming home, having dropped TT zero 🤔 they'll need more than a million to cover the cost of the carnage on the roads as over excited bikers celebrate being back.

As for a strategy for 500,000 visitors. Come on, you're having a laugh. 

Doc Allinson has promised the 500,000 visitors strategy for June Tynwald

(He previously promised it for early in 2022)

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

They will tell you - I think - that the roadmap is on www.netzero.im

Members have today called for a definitive capital programme

4 hours ago, HeliX said:

"Ashford says the outturn of the 2021/22 financial year should be a deficit of around £36 million. He says this is as a result of extra costs incurred during the pandemic - including purchase of PPE and business support."

(my emphasis)

I find this reference to PPE difficult to believe - there were huge sums spent (very reasonably!) in the 2020/21 financial year on PPE, with the vast majority of it remaining unused:

https://taxpayersalliance.im/iom-health-department-spent-7-9m-on-ppe-in-2020-63-remains-available/

It seems unlikely that they've somehow had a second successive year of extra PPE costs when they had so much left over from the 2020/21 financial year.

Edited by Josem
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

They will tell you - I think - that the roadmap is on www.netzero.im

Members have today called for a definitive capital programme

It's not a roadmap though - it's just a list of fuzzy aspirations. 

They should probably have come up with a definitive capital programme before throwing £40,000,000 at it. 

• Like 1