Isle of Man Budget 2022-23

0bserver

48 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Doc Allinson has promised the 500,000 visitors strategy for June Tynwald

(He previously promised it for early in 2022)

I know. I call bollocks. Brought to you by the same folk who had a billion hits from the fairy homes. 

Interesting MDC seems to have more funding than the Housing Board and all they have to do is bribe developers to build in town. Hardly the toughest job given DBC will profit from any rates income, so will support any scheme.

Edited by english zloty
Autocorrect
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Joney Faragher sticking it to the man

She obviously does not understand  the Budget process and this is what happens when you get people elected  who have never had a local authority background  or some insight into finance , you would have thought her buddy in the Manx  Labour party  who just happens to be part of the treasury team would have briefed her, after all they have had over a week to prepare for the Budget debate ,perhaps labour are playing both sides against the middle ,which is something they have always done ,

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

They will tell you - I think - that the roadmap is on www.netzero.im

Members have today called for a definitive capital programme

Never wise given the small number of contractors who are here. A) the total value is great and companies like Lagan turn up on Irish plates with Irish staff shipping money home and/or B) the local companies start diffying up amongst themselves who will competitively bid for what, so value for money goes out the door. Or C) the best contractors are already busy meaning companies not really up to the job get them anyway. Or/and D) different bits of government effectively bid against themselves.

Better to leak projects a few at a time 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Interesting only £2m for the housing & community board but £42m for climate change, I would have reversed the figures as housing is much more important for island residents than the impact we can have on climate 

Put £42M into perspective. It would get you about 42MW of Wind power which is half the Islands demand. You can bet your bottom dollar it will be frittered away on nothing.

• Like 1

So Daphne is getting 42 million to promote climate change….words fail me.   It is far too much considering the current financial climate and not enough to actually do anything positive.    I expect there will be a load of green inspired jollies that she and her entourage will have to attend so the money will be well spent 🥵 and I am sure the people who use the food bank and sit in the cold will realise it is for the greater good.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

So Daphne is getting 42 million to promote climate change….words fail me.   It is far too much considering the current financial climate and not enough to actually do anything positive.    I expect there will be a load of green inspired jollies that she and her entourage will have to attend so the money will be well spent 🥵 and I am sure the people who use the food bank and sit in the cold will realise it is for the greater good.

Appealing to the green mob whilst more people are dragged into food and fuel poverty.

• Like 6

Rob Callister has mentioned that price rises by MUA are on the cards. I will imagine a lot of anger when these rises actually hit the pockets of all electricity users. Yes, the poor, elderly and vulnerable will be acutely hit, and whilst Ashies bullshit and spin seems wonderful, I can’t see the current payment winter bonus being sufficient. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Rob Callister has mentioned that price rises by MUA are on the cards. I will imagine a lot of anger when these rises actually hit the pockets of all electricity users. Yes, the poor, elderly and vulnerable will be acutely hit, and whilst Ashies bullshit and spin seems wonderful, I can’t see the current payment winter bonus being sufficient. 

What's the answer then. Is Callister supposed to produce money out of a hat. Where does the money come from.

Edited by Happier diner

6 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Expect electricity prices to double - unless there's been some hedging of prices.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

What's the answer then. Is Callister supposed to produce money out of a hat. Where does the money come from.

I don’t know, unless anyone does? However, I’m not paid handsomely to come up with the answers, but Rob Callister, wannabe Minister certainly is. If MUA went through a full audit to try and reduce inefficiencies, and a full plan (which included possible job losses and elimination of waste), I am sure that residents and consumers may be more understandable.  

• Like 2