Manx Development Corporation

Amadeus

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It would be straight up easier and cheaper to knock down and replace. 

I have no idea what is going on at cronkbourne but they should be demolished too. They were not designed for the modern world, and no amount of retrofitting is going to change that.

Braddan commissioner sold to Arragon ie Allen Lloyd I think and they are being gutted, refurbished & rented out.

From what I see walking by they seem high standard inside, Arragon who have lots of high standards properties on Island wouldn’t be involved if not feasible 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Braddan commissioner sold to Arragon ie Allen Lloyd I think and they are being gutted, refurbished & rented out.

From what I see walking by they seem high standard inside, Arragon who have lots of high standards properties on Island wouldn’t be involved if not feasible 

There is so much wrong with your post. A lot of arragon stuff is not high standard at all. 

(Source - subcontracted to them at one point, I do not and will not any more)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Banker said:

They could be refurbished and made bigger & made available at reasonable rents for younger singles, couples who want to be in centre of Douglas and aren’t that bothered about outside aesthetics , if that’s not feasible then yes demolition 

Its not aesthetics. I can assure you. They are not fit for habitation really. Narrow corridors with no windows. The list is endless. Just the whole location and the way its built. 

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

Have the Lord Street flats been completely emptied now?

If so, what plans does DBC have for them?

Not emptied yet - I suspect most of the remaining tenants will be moving to the new flats at the Brown Bobby when they are completed.  I got the impression that it was a swap with Dandara and they would be redeveloping the old site, though the article doesn't say so. 

As with so much of the money spent on social housing over the last three decades it's mostly not providing extra accommodation (to cope with increased population and poverty) just replacing what they have in the way most profitable for the construction industry.  In this case it's 66 new flats replacing about 55 I think.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Banker said:

They have already been gutted and modernised at great expense to Braddan Comms/ IOM Gov

They are damp and due to the nature of their construction, no amount of paint or modernisation will make them fit for habitation.

You can't damp proof inject a manx stone rubble wall.

End of.

Should have been flattened.

• Like 1

I think it was an exchange, Dandara build the new flats up peel road then they get the Lord St site in exchange?

I think the idea, Bankers, of redevelopement for low rent use is possible if and a desired part of the market f

or those on low wages or yet to settle to a buying mode would be a good idea if feasable and building control OK'd but it should be only for private rental to such people, it should NOT be for Social Housing because people on the list are obliged to take what is offered or go down the list, if the re-gen were below current standards that would be unfair on SH list people but could be acceptable to the itinerant worker as a short term solution to housing.

Obviously Dandara would prefer to raise and build  new and that may be the best solution in the end but if refurbishment is considered and found feasable then that should not be discounted?

Both 2112 and I have proposed similar use of the Reart ny Bae site when it is emptied, this Lord St site could fill a need in housing that could be below normal standards simply to provide that temporary niche?

11 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

They have already been gutted and modernised at great expense to Braddan Comms/ IOM Gov

They are damp and due to the nature of their construction, no amount of paint or modernisation will make them fit for habitation.

End of.

I'm sure a bit of battened off foil backed plasterboard will suffice!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I think it was an exchange, Dandara build the new flats up peel road then they get the Lord St site in exchange?

I think the idea, Bankers, of redevelopement for low rent use is possible if and a desired part of the market f

or those on low wages or yet to settle to a buying mode would be a good idea if feasable and building control OK'd but it should be only for private rental to such people, it should NOT be for Social Housing because people on the list are obliged to take what is offered or go down the list, if the re-gen were below current standards that would be unfair on SH list people but could be acceptable to the itinerant worker as a short term solution to housing.

Obviously Dandara would prefer to raise and build  new and that may be the best solution in the end but if refurbishment is considered and found feasable then that should not be discounted?

Both 2112 and I have proposed similar use of the Reart ny Bae site when it is emptied, this Lord St site could fill a need in housing that could be below normal standards simply to provide that temporary niche?

download (33).jpeg

6 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Standards are there for a reason. If we're going to go 'below normal standards' then what's the point of having them?

.... and why not FFinlo? There is a part of our social mix that are not yet ready to settle into married life, a nice flat and saving for a mortgage who need somewhere to live that is not exorbitant in rent while they decide if Island Life is for them, these are the people who will lift our tax base to provide a future for all of us.

That the likes of Lord St, Walpole avenue "Police Station"/ bus canteen, the plot beside the Villiers building/ town square, summerland and countless smaller plots have lain undeveloped for 25 plus years shows that our economy is one of smoke and mirrors.

"Prime" sites like these should have been snapped up and developed years ago if there were the financial case to make it profitable.

We rely on the VAT handout  to keep functioning.

9 minutes ago, Kopek said:

.... and why not FFinlo? There is a part of our social mix that are not yet ready to settle into married life, a nice flat and saving for a mortgage who need somewhere to live that is not exorbitant in rent while they decide if Island Life is for them, these are the people who will lift our tax base to provide a future for all of us.

I know that's why I offered up a ready made cheaper? example.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

End of.

They weren’t very modern from what I saw & they’re listed properties I think so can’t be demolished 

• Like 1