Manx Development Corporation

Amadeus

• 3 months later...

Chris Thomas MHK Chair of the Housing and Communities Board, has been on the NPM this morning, with his observations, that developers are building the wrong type of housing and speculators and investors are purchasing these new houses. Well, there are solutions, the planning laws have to be changed or the planning committee have to be more robust. Also restrictions as to who buys these new properties have to be put in place. Could it stifle investment, possibly, as developers and investors will conclude it’s too much hassle to build due to the bureaucracy. 

If the developers are building the wrong type of housing, and the type of estate that this comment is being aimed at, then maybe the solution is for bland, drab, uniformity social housing style states? You only have to look online on Facebook and see the developers and estate agents advertising, and there are loads of comments, and people interested etc, 

Edited by 2112

10 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Chris Thomas MHK Chair of the Housing and Communities Board, has been on the NPM this morning, with his observations, that developers are building the wrong type of housing and speculators and investors are purchasing these new houses.

No shit ?

There's been one or two on these boards that have vehemently denied that recently too.....

38 minutes ago, finlo said:

Mostly snapped up by investors before a single brick is laid.

I am completely naive about this subject. What are the investors investing in? Are they buying to gain a monopoly and then sell at a higher price? Are they buying to rent out to relatively well-off government managers?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I am completely naive about this subject. What are the investors investing in? Are they buying to gain a monopoly and then sell at a higher price? Are they buying to rent out to relatively well-off government managers?

Instead of indulging in pointless debates and verbal essays, Chris Thomas supposedly has the power to do something, so less waffle, bullshit and coming on the NPM, do something - make proposals to introduce legislation. Simple really. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

It's a Government backed boom market, with quick profits for the short term investor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

If the developers are building the wrong type of housing, and the type of estate that this comment is being aimed at, then maybe the solution is for bland, drab, uniformity social housing style states? 

I think you'll find that the commercial market is more than capable of providing "bland, drab, uniformity social housing style" without any help from the state [looks in direction of Ballasalla].

But yes there does need to be more social housing and we need to stop only building new to replace the old.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

From my experience it seems to be the latter, brand new builds being rented for £1500-2500.  Leases in place before they are finished, buyers never even setting foot on the property.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think you'll find that the commercial market is more than capable of providing "bland, drab, uniformity social housing style" without any help from the state [looks in direction of Ballasalla].

But yes there does need to be more social housing and we need to stop only building new to replace the old.

I agree with your comments. I originally thought of the first time buyers houses built in the late 1980’s early 1990’s Norwest Holst at Anagh Coar, where restrictions were put in place as part of the terms of ownership. As for the old properties, perhaps if there incentives devised, first time buyers won’t have the need to move out the main residential areas. 

6 hours ago, 2112 said:

Instead of indulging in pointless debates and verbal essays, Chris Thomas supposedly has the power to do something, so less waffle, bullshit and coming on the NPM, do something - make proposals to introduce legislation. Simple really. 

Initial plans for the Housing & Communities Board were approved by Tynwald on Tuesday the 17th of this month

https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/hansard/20002020/t220517.pdf

• Like 1