Russia

Sentience

35 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Ah yeah, they seem to have gone a bit more anti-Muslim.  Just did some extra digging. 

Previously they were the only Ukrainian volunteer battalion.  Accordingly you'll get quite a few unsavory types join up as well.

It looks like most of the volunteers are meeting up with the Georgian National Legion unit on the Polish border. 

This is a Georgian Foreign Legion so to speak that was set up as part of their battles against Russia.  They are en-route and picking up the foreign nationals on the way.  Currently 50+ Brits that I'm aware of. 

11 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

Amazon Prime EU just bought up all the MiGs & other aircraft in the EU that Ukrainian pilots know how to fly - donated them to the EU & they've been donated straight to Ukraine. Should be in the air now, or very soon. 

But Hermes have left them with Belarus.

• Haha 2

On 2/26/2022 at 3:54 PM, Andy Onchan said:

The interesting thing will be if a Russian military aircraft flies outside the territory of Ukraine, intentionally or otherwise. The US have many aircraft patrolling the Black Sea (with a Grumann drone watching their every move) and on the Polish & Romanian borders and there's more on the way.

And apologies for re-quoting this again but inow that there's a blanket EU-wide no fly for Russian aircraft/opeators it looks as though one pilot in particular has tried to chance his arm: https://twitter.com/hashtag/SU7236?src=hashtag_click

Putin has nowhere to go in the long (or even short) run. He has provoked the revulsion of most of the world, what will be the crippling of Russia's general economy, the political isolation and ostracisation of Russia and the objections and lack of support of his own people.

He cannot, in the 21st Century, hope to quash the will of a 40M strong nation with the forces he has deployed, particularly when that nation is now being supplied with materiel  by any number of other nations. The only question is how far he will go before he accepts or has the inevitable forced upon him. The last person in Europe in this position was Adolf Hitler.

I've heard a couple of intelligent, well intentioned but uninformed people over the last couple of days repeating the nonsense that people like Farage have been pushing (its all NATO or the EU's fault for 'poking the Russian bear').

So, I'm sharing the link below to Alexei Navalny's 'Putin's Palace'. It's a long watch - but important if you want to know about Putin. After it came out and people started protesting, Navalny was poisoned with novichok nerve agent.

He survived, after two months in a Berlin hospital. Incredibly, he returned to Russia, where he was arrested and sentenced to 30 months of 'corrective labour' in a notorious prison - a very slow and painful way of killing a recovering novichok victim. 

Putin is not our fault. 

https://palace.navalny.com/?fbclid=IwAR3m1QHI3KAnkiGrwPd_3-fNHRwDDgWaXD9SrKZKNQXhWNW3nm-NPChb9mo

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Putin has nowhere to go in the long (or even short) run. He has provoked the revulsion of most of the world, what will be the crippling of Russia's general economy, the political isolation and ostracisation of Russia and the objections and lack of support of his own people.

He cannot, in the 21st Century, hope to quash the will of a 40M strong nation with the forces he has deployed, particularly when that nation is now being supplied with materiel  by any number of other nations. The only question is how far he will go before he accepts or has the inevitable forced upon him. The last person in Europe in this position was Adolf Hitler.

Thankfully, Hitler did not have nuclear weapons - this despot does

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

Thankfully, Hitler did not have nuclear weapons - this despot does

I am hopeful that the Oligarch's will step in to prevent this use of Nuclear Weapons.  They will be suffering as a result of the sanctions and will know that the use of nuclear weapons would destroy their wealth completely.  A decision to start a nuclear war might be one Putin is willing to make given his age and apparent mental state but will the rest of the people ib power in Russia support it?

17 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I understand that today three more billionaires have spoken out against his actions. That’s five now. 

I don’t think the rest of the people in power in Russia will support it. I think they think he is mental. 

Plus all Russian boats and Private Jets now banned from pretty much all of Europe. 

I think the Oligharchs are the only way out of this.  Putin won't listen or care about the little people. 

Zelensky just received a standing ovation in the European Parliament.    Cometh the hour, cometh the man. 

Him and his Ukrainian brand are now everything that the EU wishes they had... hopefully they'll be something left.  Nothing has united the EU (or the world) like this before.  Incredible. 

• Like 1