Russia

Sentience

On 2/25/2022 at 8:07 AM, code99 said:

On 2/25/2022 at 8:07 AM, code99 said:

Philosophical pontifications are easy, but the bottom line is this - gutless/ spineless/ compromised Western leaders are prepared to sacrifice 40 million Ukrainians to the murderous thug. This tragedy is only possible because greedy/ stupid/ lazy and politically myopic Western leaders for many years turned the blind eye to the aggression and provocations of this international maniac.

What nobody knows how far is a KGB officer like Putin is prepared to go. But westerners should not kid ourselves that we can just sit this one out without being severely harmed. Putin has unleashed some very dark forces and after this unprovoked attack the 'life in the shires' for the hobbits will never be the same again - this is going to be much worse for the whole of Europe than the Balkans war was, IMHO. I have seen the TV footage from Ukraine and all I can see is frightening people including small children hugging their Teddy bears - one day this is could be any European city, even in Britain. 

Nothing philosophical about what I am saying.  I am only talking about the hypocrisy.

I can see why you think western countries should have done more if you truly think that Russia has designs on conquering all of Europe. But I don't know why you have that idea.  This conflict is not about conquering Europe and extending influence. What provocations are you referring to?

I don't know why you think Putin is a maniac.

I don't think any of this would have happened if Minsk II went ahead and if the Ukraine remained neutral.

This propaganda from the American government and western media where this conflict is seen only through the lens of the self determination of the Ukrainian people is just double standards.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

Nothing philosophical about what I am saying.  I am only talking about the hypocrisy.

I can see why you think western countries should have done more if you truly think that Russia has designs on conquering all of Europe. But I don't know why you have that idea.  This conflict is not about conquering Europe and extending influence. What provocations are you referring to?

I don't know why you think Putin is a maniac.

I don't think any of this would have happened if Minsk II went ahead and if the Ukraine remained neutral.

This propaganda from the American government and western media where this conflict is seen only through the lens of the self determination of the Ukrainian people is just double standards.

So what's the end-game here then? Putin doesn't want NATO up against his border, what will he have if he takes Ukraine exactly? NATO right at the border.

20 hours ago, quilp said:

Putin's a very religious man, apparently...

https://unherd.com/2022/02/putins-spiritual-destiny/

You all should read this....bone chilling!

Once you introduce Religion into this desperate situation, it really does add an immediate increase in the fear that this could escalate into a world wide third world war.

Very frightening prospect, courtesy of Religion.

11 minutes ago, HeliX said:

So what's the end-game here then? Putin doesn't want NATO up against his border, what will he have if he takes Ukraine exactly? NATO right at the border.

A border pushed back farther than he envisaged if Ukraine hosted Nato troops in the future.

7 minutes ago, quilp said:

Will NATO enforce a no-fly zone in Ukraine air-space? That's where real shit could kick off. 

Doubtful...Nato vs Russian jets risks drawing Nato into larger conflict...nuclear exchange risk unacceptable. Nato Sec-General Stoltenberg said this on PBS Newshour interview yesterday. "We wish to avoid being drawn into a conflict worse than what we already have" (paraphrased)

Edited by opusManx

12 minutes ago, quilp said:

Russian media reporting hostilities recommenced after Kremlin requests for dialogue went unanswered by Kyiv...

https://www.rt.com/russia/550703-ukraine-rejects-negotiations/

Unofficially, Erdoğan has instructed the Turkish navy to block Russian warships in the Black Sea. 

I read that. I cant imagine them willing to fire on Russian ships. Hope it doesnt come to that.

31 minutes ago, quilp said:

Will NATO enforce a no-fly zone in Ukraine air-space? That's where real shit could kick off. 

Not a chance. The question might be will western (charter) aircraft resupply Kyiv with weapons. 

Equally there's the issue of land supplies. There's pictures out of Poland of a convoy carrying weaponry to be delivered to Kyiv. 

Realistically it should be toast the second it crosses the border. 

Israel takes out any weapons shipments to Hezbollah the moment they arrive on Syrian soil. Russia will likely do the same. 

Bet you there are discussions on going about using Western drivers to deliver it. You can guess the real profession of the drivers volunteering to do such a mission. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, quilp said:

Russian media reporting hostilities recommenced after Kremlin requests for dialogue went unanswered by Kyiv...

https://www.rt.com/russia/550703-ukraine-rejects-negotiations/

Unofficially, Erdoğan has instructed the Turkish navy to block Russian warships in the Black Sea. 

Turkey has said it is yet to make a decision on closing its straits between the Mediterannean and the Black Sea to the Russian navy– despite an earlier claim by the Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy.

It is the first official clarification since Zelenskiy said on Saturday that Turkey had agreed to close the waterways to warships – which would have been a big defensive boon for Ukraine.

According to Reuters, a Turkish official said it “has not made a decision to close the straits to Russian ships”.

If it did happen, a closure would break a convention for Black Sea states that warships are allowed to return to port during wartime. (The Guardian, 0246H GMT, Harry Taylor)

43 minutes ago, quilp said:

40 minutes ago, opusManx said:

Doubtful...

5 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Not a chance...

H-mm. Let’s hope it doesn't happen.