Russia

Sentience

21 minutes ago, quilp said:

Should the world be worried about the lucidity of thinking in the Whitehouse? Old Joe, President Harris etc.?

In all seriousness...

Disturbing.  It wouldn't suprise me if one leading factor for the Ukraine situation is that Putin has realised how senile and impotent Biden is and thought this is his chance. 

I had high hopes for Harris.  I assumed Joe would either have keeled over or been diagnosed with dementia by now and tada, the US has a Black Female President by the back door.  However it seems she has been completely sidelined and tasked with solving Latam immigration problems and other similarly nebulous issues. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, quilp said:

In all seriousness ... 

... you think there is any meaningful content in this at all???

Vacuousness rules ok. 

Why not instead try this. Start at 12 minutes and listen to Andrey Kortunov discussing a path to mediation in this conflict. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0014x0y

4 hours ago, quilp said:

Should the world be worried about the lucidity of thinking in the Whitehouse? Old Joe, President Harris etc.?

In all seriousness...

Biden’s admin has done a pretty decent job so far. One step ahead of Putin, announcing to the world all the steps Putin was likely to make (false flag attacks etc) to excuse the invasion, making it obvious to the sceptics. Most of the world is united in agreeing severe sanctions with Biden leading the way. But that won’t sway the “sleepy joe” idiots who think he’s senile because trump said so.

• Like 2

@quilp it is an interesting perspective and whilst I won't dismiss the arguments as being out of hand it does come across as a plea to let the Oligarch's retain their wealth rather than see it devalued with the collapse of the Russian economy or through the seizure of assets and money in Western Banks.

Maybe I am missing something but like most news outlets the ownership may hint towards a bias.

This German bear is hardly a formidable force and incomparable to the size and strength of available Russian forces. Since the end of the Cold War, unlike Russia, it has successively reduced its commitment to defence over the decades. Remember Trump complaining that various nations within NATO weren't keeping up with the (non-binding) NATO commitment to upkeep expenditure on defence? What could Germany wield as a defence to a 1000 tank onslaught? 1000? 500? More like 200 effective against any Russian onslaught, and even then, 10-15% of those 200 will be out of service at any one time. Same situation with the Luftwaffe too. Underfunded, with mostly outdated (though still moderately effective) fighters and again, not really enough in number. 

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/why-germanys-military-weak-175152