Russia

Sentience

If they storm Mariupol now it will be forgotten by the 9th May. Just a thought.

I'm hoping that when it falls that will give Putin his "victory" - a land route to Crimea and hostilities will cease.

Until the next time....

'Fraid not PK. Never underestimate the dictator's greed and indifference to blood. Putin wants the whole south all the way to Moldova. And that means doing to Odessa what he's already done to Mariupol. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-says-it-plans-full-control-donbas-southern-ukraine-ifax-2022-04-22/

Bastard. 

1 hour ago, Chinahand said:

'Fraid not PK. Never underestimate the dictator's greed and indifference to blood. Putin wants the whole south all the way to Moldova. And that means doing to Odessa what he's already done to Mariupol. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-says-it-plans-full-control-donbas-southern-ukraine-ifax-2022-04-22/

Bastard. 

Just being hopeful.

According to the strategy map toady Lukashenko had on the wall behind him Putin's ambitions include Moldova.

History (written in English) will no doubt condemn Putin as a murderous dictator a la Hitler. But Putin doesn't care.

Appalling footage of totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar Bozo Johnson sucking up to the Putin apologists in India. But then he has to try and puff up his "statesman" image to avoid losing disillusioned partygate voters prior to the May elections. I wonder if he will be as desperate as Liz Truss who signed up to "negative benefit to the UK" trade deals in the antipodes...?

Probably. After all, it's always "Bozo first" and he will put everyone and anyone under a bus if it suits his ambitions...

1 hour ago, Chinahand said:

Bastard. 

Balls.  Never thought they would come out and say it!  Unfortunately this now means they have a defined objective that if they don't take, then will be seem to have lost.  Previously it was all a bit vague and they were just trying to 'protect the pro-Russians from neo-nazis'. 

Weirdly there doesn't seem to be much press coverage or information on how the Russian economy is fairing amid the sanctions imposed.  I would have thought it tanking would have been quite obvious, or is the gas money our fellow Europeans are sending them prop them up that much?

Anyone have any thoughts on the two mysterious Oligarch death/suicides this week?  Or the fires at their biggest chemical plant and an arms factory near Moscow yesterday?  Or am I being a bit too hopeful of some Bourne-like activities?

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Balls.  Never thought they would come out and say it!  Unfortunately this now means they have a defined objective that if they don't take, then will be seem to have lost.  Previously it was all a bit vague and they were just trying to 'protect the pro-Russians from neo-nazis'. 

I would take anything they comment on with weapons-grade salt.

No plan survives the first contact with the enemy as we saw in the North around Kyiv. So they would have come up with an alternative strategy that massages Putin's ego. But are they aware that it's only worth taking ground they can hold?

After all, as a strategist (whose name escapes me) once said "You take the ground with every means at your disposal but you can only hold it with men."

A bit sexist I suppose but you get the idea...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I would take anything they comment on with weapons-grade salt.

No plan survives the first contact with the enemy as we saw in the North around Kyiv. So they would have come up with an alternative strategy that massages Putin's ego. But are they aware that it's only worth taking ground they can hold?

After all, as a strategist (whose name escapes me) once said "You take the ground with every means at your disposal but you can only hold it with men."

A bit sexist I suppose but you get the idea...

Totally agree. I think its well within their (previously expected) capabilities to invade that entire area.

Holding onto though would be a completely different matter. They'd have to deal with what would probably be the most well funded, equipped and trained insurgency in history. 

On 4/22/2022 at 5:28 PM, P.K. said:

Which really makes me wonder what the British Army are playing at? They are now obsessed with cyber wars and intelligence whilst dismantling our fighting capability. They seem to have easily convinced their own top brass of this too! (not trying to derail the thread)

On 4/22/2022 at 8:49 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

I think the table was a bit short for his liking.

As I have seen in print somewhere... he is showing all the signs of having Parkinson's Disease. Keeping the hand from shaking, but unable to control the foot. 

The medications can do all sorts of things to the way the mind works, apparently.

22 hours ago, Max Power said:

Which really makes me wonder what the British Army are playing at? They are now obsessed with cyber wars and intelligence whilst dismantling our fighting capability. They seem to have easily convinced their own top brass of this too! (not trying to derail the thread)

Have been for years.  It was one of the reasons I left.  Late 90s early 00s the cutbacks on troops and equipment were ridiculous and probably at their worst.  To be honest it actually got a bit better with Iraq and Afghanistan and the UORs but I was out by that point. 

BAOR was extremely expensive. Some 25,000 personnel all of whom would have to be rotated at some point. All those twirling amber lights would have cost a bit as well.

With the fall of the communist bloc and the thawing of the cold war it no longer made sense to have all those armour heavy battlegroups in situ. So cuts became necessary and have unfortunately continued.

On a plus side the light assault elements of the British Army are probably the best in the business. Well, the Phantasians think so anyway.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, P.K. said:

BAOR was extremely expensive. Some 25,000 personnel all of whom would have to be rotated at some point. All those twirling amber lights would have cost a bit as well.

With the fall of the communist bloc and the thawing of the cold war it no longer made sense to have all those armour heavy battlegroups in situ. So cuts became necessary and have unfortunately continued.

On a plus side the light assault elements of the British Army are probably the best in the business. Well, the Phantasians think so anyway.

Coincidence that the BAOR was officially finished and the last base was handed back to Ze Germans in 2020?  

On 4/19/2022 at 10:19 PM, Bandits said:

The second oil executive to die in mysterious circumstances in 10 days. Putin really seems to be angry

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10754207/Russian-accused-killing-wife-daughter-hanging-Spain-MURDERED-son-says.html