Russia

Sentience

3 hours ago, quilp said:

Whilst watching the videos coming out of Ukraine, of tanks, vehicles and sqauddies being blown to the heavens, I began noticing that some of the tanks and vehicles were already 'dead' and couldn't see the point of blowing them up again. Furthermore, some of the videos are re-runs of older strikes, only this time the vids are being run as a reversed image. Even in the beginning, the wrecks we were seeing had me thinking that the rust had set in very quickly on the T-72's and AFV's. I then discovered that the whole area where they're fighting now is littered with wreckage of previous skirmishes, some dating back to 2014.

Also, Russian Telegram channels show some of the very same videos but claiming the wreckage is of Ukrainian hardware, obviously when any identifying markings have been obliterated from view.

The first casualty of war is the truth. 

The second casualty would be innocence.

Yeah a lot of fake news flying about on both sides. Inherent problem with social media and war nowadays. 

I was on some of the Signal message boards for some of the Foreign Legion Regiments right at the start of the invasion. Some legit info and reports then, but there were only limited posters and they were verified to some extent. I went on holiday in April, came back logged onto them and every tom dick and Harry was then on them, posting pointless, incorrect stuff or false propaganda. Some Russian hackers and the trolls were actually flagged quite early on and proper comsec had to be adopted by the serious users.

Edited by The Phantom
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, quilp said:

Whilst watching the videos coming out of Ukraine, of tanks, vehicles and sqauddies being blown to the heavens, I began noticing that some of the tanks and vehicles were already 'dead' and couldn't see the point of blowing them up again. Furthermore, some of the videos are re-runs of older strikes, only this time the vids are being run as a reversed image. Even in the beginning, the wrecks we were seeing had me thinking that the rust had set in very quickly on the T-72's and AFV's. I then discovered that the whole area where they're fighting now is littered with wreckage of previous skirmishes, some dating back to 2014.

Also, Russian Telegram channels show some of the very same videos but claiming the wreckage is of Ukrainian hardware, obviously when any identifying markings have been obliterated from view.

The first casualty of war is the truth. 

Boring...

The master of the obvious...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, quilp said:

The first casualty of war is the truth blah blah blah yeah yeah yeah [yawn] ...

Oryx use open source data to verify losses in Ukraine. Video, photos etc.

Russian Tank Losses in Ukraine Hit 1,000 – Open Source Analysis

Russian tank losses in Ukraine have passed 1,000, according to the Oryx intelligence blog that tracks equipment losses in the fighting, highlighting the attrition suffered by Russian forces in more than six months of war. 

Over half of Russia’s tank losses recorded by Oryx, which verifies destroyed, captured or abandoned tanks using open source information, occurred in the first 50 days of the war as Russian forces attempted to seize the Ukrainian capital. 

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/09/06/russian-tank-losses-in-ukraine-hit-1000-open-source-analysis-a78727

Oryx:

Attack On Europe: Documenting Russian Equipment Losses During The 2022 Russian Invasion Of Ukraine 

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

They estimate that 30% of Russian losses are unverified. Oh well, nobody's perfect...

• Like 1

Chechen rebellion anyone?

Kadyrov stepped down from fighting a couple of weeks ago and seems to be getting pretty pissed off with the current Russian shitshow.

There's quite a few Chechens fighting with the Ukrainians against the Russians already, some with 20 years experience of fighting them. Discontent sounds like it's growing back home and it would be an ideal time for them to rise up whilst Putin is distracted. 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1

This is great!  Sorry it's from the Mail, but it was the only one that had translations and notes that Mama has made some Borscht for him.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11211685/Ukrainian-mother-weeps-jumps-joy-reunited-son-town-liberated.html

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Zelensky’s looks just like an accident though. The news report said the guy in the car who hit him was taken to hospital (ie, not shot) 

I don't generally believe in coincidence (especially in this conflict) but this looks like it might actually be the case. 

I suspect Z will up his security detail somewhat now if the Russians have seen how easy it was for this accident to happen. 

The guy is a talisman for Ukraine and has balls like planets. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I don't generally believe in coincidence (especially in this conflict) but this looks like it might actually be the case. 

I suspect Z will up his security detail somewhat now if the Russians have seen how easy it was for this accident to happen. 

The guy is a talisman for Ukraine and has balls like planets. 

Looking at the video here it was a VW Beetle 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11214831/Video-reveals-aftermath-car-crash-injured-President-Zelensky.html

An unlikely choice for a suicide attack! 

13 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Looking at the video here it was a VW Beetle 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11214831/Video-reveals-aftermath-car-crash-injured-President-Zelensky.html

An unlikely choice for a suicide attack! 

The Libyan terrorists in Back to the Future had a VW camper! 😉

23 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I suspect Z will up his security detail ...

I don't think President Zelensky would be very happy about anyone referring to him as "Z", seeing as how that's what the Russians paint on the sides of their tanks, and it's also used to show support for the "special military operation" in Russia. 

I know you didn't mean any harm/disrespect, but it felt very jarring to read.

• Haha 1

BBC News reports on mass graves now being opened up in recaptured Ukranian territory around the town of Izyum. 500+ bodies of soldiers and civilians, including women and children, bound and hanged.