Russia

Sentience

43 minutes ago, P.K. said:

As they cannot bludgeon their way through from the East the Russians will probably make another attempt on Kyiv but this time from Belarus thus escalating the conflict. 

I'm seeing reports that Belerus are implementing mobilisation. Whether the Belerusian male population are up for that, I'm not so sure, but looks like Lukashenko is ready to join the fight.

The announcement at the Barysau bus station: “All male citizens from 18 to 60 years old must come to an enlistment office or village executive committee to clarify their data.”

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, slinkydevil said:

I'm seeing reports that Belerus are implementing mobilisation. Whether the Belerusian male population are up for that, I'm not so sure, but looks like Lukashenko is ready to join the fight.

The announcement at the Barysau bus station: “All male citizens from 18 to 60 years old must come to an enlistment office or village executive committee to clarify their data.”

Putin probably putting pressure on Belarus. More food for the slaughter.

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

Attacking in the South runs the risk of cutting off the Crimea which will not be well received in Moscow.

I think they will do exactly that.  They'll try and split the southern front and go for Mariupol or Berdiansk, thereby cutting the overland supply route to Crimea. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Slaughter is right. It's likely hundreds were killed in the strike on Makiivka. Just four Himars rockets were used but the Russians have a habit of storing munitions in stupid places.

4 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Selling gas to Belarus at a 5th of the going market rate buys a lot of influence too, no doubt.

7 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

Hopefully that will be the fall of the puppet Lukashenko...

• Like 2

On 1/6/2023 at 6:24 PM, La_Dolce_Vita said:

What i still wonder is which nation damaged the Nord Stream 1 pipeline.  It hit the news and nothing has been concluded. 

Nord Stream 2 do you mean? Ask yourself who has most to gain by selling alternative gas supplies to Europe and who was against the project from its inception.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, woolley said:

Nord Stream 2 do you mean? Ask yourself who has most to gain by selling alternative gas supplies to Europe and who was against the project from its inception.

Ukraine, Poland and the Baltic States were against it.

The country with the most to gain commercially would be Norway.

Strategically Ukraine gains as Moscow loses leverage over some NATO allies.

Moscow blames the Royal Navy. Which would mean Liz Truss gave the order. I think she would be too busy destroying the UK economy and causing the BoE to spaff away £60bn propping it up to bother with some silly old gas pipeline.

The damaged section is in Danish territorial waters.

I suspect the culprits have already been identified. So I guess we'll find out in due course...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

Moscow might be right.  But I don't think it likely we would find out who the culprit was. If it was the US or Britain, or other European nation then I think denial would be the likely response. 

I very much doubt that any NATO country would act alone on this.

It's possible that Putin was going to cut supplies off anyway. As a pariah nation the chances of any European customers coming back to the fold after the naked aggression in Ukraine is almost certainly zero.

So Moscow blew their own pipeline up so Gazprom wouldn't have to pay compensation for failing to supply.

However if that happened surely it would be in the public domain by now?

Curious...

• Like 2