Russia

Sentience

27 minutes ago, P.K. said:

@woolley

So basically they're stuck where they are...

Yep. Which is what I said, and seemingly indefinitely. Even if there is at some point a ceasefire, and I can't see why there would be, the Russians are still going to be there and Ukraine will never sleep peacefully again. It's an awful situation.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Yep. Which is what I said, and seemingly indefinitely. Even if there is at some point a ceasefire, and I can't see why there would be, the Russians are still going to be there and Ukraine will never sleep peacefully again. It's an awful situation.

They will only sleep peacefully when they are a full NATO member, unfortunately from that point the rest of the world will not.

2 hours ago, VikingRaider said:

They will only sleep peacefully when they are a full NATO member, unfortunately from that point the rest of the world will not.

Don't see that happening because I think NATO's assessment of Ukraine's chances of expelling the invader is similar to mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Russians have been trying Bakhmut meat wave tactics in Avdiivka over the last couple of weeks and have suffered significant losses.  Look to be around 200 vehicles and 5000 dead. 

Just like Bakhmut, Avdiivka seems to hold no real strategic relevance, again just an attempt at some sort of symbolic victory over a pile of rubble. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-paying-for-assault-on-avdiivka-heavy-vehicle-losses-2023-11

Some suggestions that this is an attempt to lure Ukrainian forces away from the bridegheads they have taken on the east bank of the Dnipro.

Also saw last night that Ukrainian special forces have been operating in Sudan and have taken out a group of (ex) Wagnerites there. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2023 at 5:47 AM, GD4ELI said:

Superb.

Why? It's a symbolic act of extreme wishful thinking. Do they also advocate going in there and throwing the Russians out? The counteroffensive has made little headway, even with billions in US aid thrown into it, and Putin seems emboldened once more that he's going to be able to take the whole country rather than settling for the Donbas as looked possible before the summer.

12 hours ago, woolley said:

Why? It's a symbolic act of extreme wishful thinking. Do they also advocate going in there and throwing the Russians out? The counteroffensive has made little headway, even with billions in US aid thrown into it, and Putin seems emboldened once more that he's going to be able to take the whole country rather than settling for the Donbas as looked possible before the summer.

@woolley

Hungary is just demonstrating the country's sovereignty... 🙂

57 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Donald Tusk (not to be confused with the loud orange one) seems to be pushing even harder for support to Ukraine. 

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/ukrainealert/new-polish-pm-donald-tusk-vows-full-mobilization-of-west-to-help-ukraine/

Poland is certainly no fan of Russia and it will be interesting to see how the relationship between Hungary and Poland develops. 

8 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I'm sure NATO don't plan on direct involvement. That would be a disaster for everyone. This is about putting political pressure on Putin to pull his forces back. Military support to Ukraine hasn't worked so far and this seems like a smart move to me. 

You think Putin is impressed by EU political pressure? I don't think so. He wears it as a badge of honour.