Russia

Sentience

There are no rules in war. Only illusions of rules.

This has to end in partition of Ukraine. Putin will hang in for now to see how things develop in the US, but it is clear that the Russians will not leave the areas they have occupied in the East, and he isn't hurting from sanctions anywhere near as much as predicted. The West is even still buying his hydrocarbons via roundabout routes, and paying through the nose for the privilege. Not sure where all of the jingoistic posters have gone who were saying earlier in the thread that the invaders would be sent packing. They wanted the whole country, but they may have to settle for the 4 eastern provinces. For now. The bear is patient. Always has been.

On 7/8/2024 at 11:36 PM, woolley said:

There are no rules in war. Only illusions of rules.

This has to end in partition of Ukraine. Putin will hang in for now to see how things develop in the US, but it is clear that the Russians will not leave the areas they have occupied in the East, and he isn't hurting from sanctions anywhere near as much as predicted. The West is even still buying his hydrocarbons via roundabout routes, and paying through the nose for the privilege. Not sure where all of the jingoistic posters have gone who were saying earlier in the thread that the invaders would be sent packing. They wanted the whole country, but they may have to settle for the 4 eastern provinces. For now. The bear is patient. Always has been.

So much for sovereignty of nations... Only important in some cases I guess.

On 7/8/2024 at 8:10 PM, TheTeapot said:

Bombed a kids hospital eh? 

Fucking assholes.

Chris Garrett is still out in Kyiv with his EOD operation and ended up responding to another area during the same attack, which also destroyed a Kindergarten. 

Seeing those Cancer Kids lined up outside the bombed out hospital still attached to drips, was one of the most heartbreaking images of this whole sorry episode. 

On 7/8/2024 at 9:52 PM, Numbnuts said:

Putin and his henchmen have zero morals. Is anyone surprised . I just wish someone would be a bullet in him , fatally of course. 

Yesterday.  I'm sure that years ago Modhi seemed like an OK guy.  I actually know a guy who is quite close to him.  But the last few years he just seems to have been on a downward spiral. 

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Russia's President Vladimir Putin embrace each other at the Novo-Ogaryovo state residence, outside Moscow, on July 8, 2024.

4 hours ago, RecklessAbandon said:

Is the least surprising thing I have seen in quite a while.  An extremely admirable woman. 

9 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

So much for sovereignty of nations... Only important in some cases I guess.

Quite the contrary. The ripping away of the sovereignty of a nation by force of arms should illustrate to the hard of thinking how valuable it is, how jealously it should be guarded, and how utterly reckless it is to fritter it away without a shot being fired.

14 minutes ago, woolley said:

Quite the contrary. The ripping away of the sovereignty of a nation by force of arms should illustrate to the hard of thinking how valuable it is, how jealously it should be guarded, and how utterly reckless it is to fritter it away without a shot being fired.

Except for Article 50 of course...

Just now, P.K. said:

Except for Article 50 of course...

The nuclear (and only) option. Don't derail this thread.

Ukraine faces the loss of at least some of its territory. It might have to settle for its 1922 borders, or something like, as a least worst option. That's the reality on the ground.

52 minutes ago, woolley said:

The nuclear (and only) option. Don't derail this thread.

Ukraine faces the loss of at least some of its territory. It might have to settle for its 1922 borders, or something like, as a least worst option. That's the reality on the ground.

And yet you maintain that this was "must end with the partition of Ukraine"? 

You accuse others of being hard of thinking?

What happened when Russia annexed the Crimean Peninsula?

Do you seriously think that partitioning Ukraine is,

1.  Acceptable to the Ukrainians?

2.  Going to prevent further Russian aggression?

7 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

And yet you maintain that this was "must end with the partition of Ukraine"? 

You accuse others of being hard of thinking?

What happened when Russia annexed the Crimean Peninsula?

Do you seriously think that partitioning Ukraine is,

1.  Acceptable to the Ukrainians?

2.  Going to prevent further Russian aggression?

Not necessarily. Looks unlikely now, but there are many unknown factors. It appears that there are two possible outcomes. Partitioning or total Russian control. Clearly, none of it is acceptable to the Ukrainians today, but that isn't how the world works.

I'm all ears for your suggestions though.

2 hours ago, woolley said:

Not necessarily. Looks unlikely now, but there are many unknown factors. It appears that there are two possible outcomes. Partitioning or total Russian control. Clearly, none of it is acceptable to the Ukrainians today, but that isn't how the world works.

I'm all ears for your suggestions though.

Well done on avoiding the questions. 

Just as long as you and you investments are okay. That's right isn't it?  Sod the poor buggers in Ukraine. 

7 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Chris Garrett is still out in Kyiv with his EOD operation and ended up responding to another area during the same attack, which also destroyed a Kindergarten. 

I watched his latest intense video. I think, weirdly, he's in the right place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Well done on avoiding the questions. 

Just as long as you and you investments are okay. That's right isn't it?  Sod the poor buggers in Ukraine. 

I didn't, but you ducked the challenge.

It's not about me. If it was, I would be very much in favour of arming Ukraine to the teeth for ever, because it's positive for defence stocks. I'm thinking about what is the best action to take in a bad situation, and that's a tough one with no obvious answers.

Ukraine cannot overcome Russia. Unpalatable as the statement may be, it is factual. So what to do? Do we simply keep sending more weapons until Ukraine runs out of people to die? Do we then send people to fight?

I don't know, so tell me.

Edited by woolley

6 hours ago, woolley said:

I didn't, but you ducked the challenge.

It's not about me. If it was, I would be very much in favour of arming Ukraine to the teeth for ever, because it's positive for defence stocks. I'm thinking about what is the best action to take in a bad situation, and that's a tough one with no obvious answers.

Ukraine cannot overcome Russia. Unpalatable as the statement may be, it is factual. So what to do? Do we simply keep sending more weapons until Ukraine runs out of people to die? Do we then send people to fight?

I don't know, so tell me.

We keep supporting Ukraine for as long as the people there want us too.  If they want to fight for their country then we give them the means too.

If they decide to negotiate a peace then we assist where we can.

What we don't do is shrug our shoulders and tell Ukraine that they have to be partly or fully annexed.   That's what we did with the Crimean Peninsula and look where it ended. 

I also believe it is unethical to benefit from wars so I personally find the fact that you hold shares in businesses that produce weapons rather abhorrent.