Russia

Sentience

10 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Putin really wanted that assassin back, he was serving life, wonder what Germany got out of it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjjwexqj11xo

Interesting mix.  Some obvious ones, including a couple of Russian-German nationals.  A few just seem to be full Russian, but were opposition. 

Ukraine has actually invaded Russia now.  

Ukrainian backed anti-Putin Russian battalions have done some light raiding in the past, but this time they've penetrated at least 10km into the Kursk region with over 1000 troops and look to be digging in. 

Bold move. 

11 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Ukraine has actually invaded Russia now.  

Ukrainian backed anti-Putin Russian battalions have done some light raiding in the past, but this time they've penetrated at least 10km into the Kursk region with over 1000 troops and look to be digging in. 

Bold move. 

Probably gaining a foothold in time for territory and peace negotiations.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Probably gaining a foothold in time for territory and peace negotiations.

Nope ... more likely distracting the Russians from the their offensive further south with the aim of it culminating early ... and it seems to be working.

11 minutes ago, VikingRaider said:

Nope ... more likely distracting the Russians from the their offensive further south with the aim of it culminating early ... and it seems to be working.

Hopefully they can beat you know who's record all the way to Moscow!

IMG-20230826-WA0003.jpg

1 hour ago, VikingRaider said:

Seems to be a lot more going on at the same time.  All yesterday/last night - big attacks on Sevastopol, Lipetsk airfield (home of warehouses with guided aerial bombs and a number of Su-34, Su-35 and MiG-31) massive secondary explosions. A strike on Russian anti-aircraft missile divisions in Donetsk.  A large Russian column (50 odd trucks) carrying troops 40km from the border appeats to have been also virtually wiped out by HIMARS.

Have to say I can't help wondering what must be on the minds of the young squaddies ordered to advance into Russia.

They are going to get hit hard. It might take some time, but Russia isn't going to leave them be.

If they leave, I can't imagine the Russians won't bring artillery to bear on them on the border, if they fortify and stay put it'll be even worse.

Many deaths and much destruction, this time likely via a Ukrainian advance, hold and possible retreat. All to give Putin some of his own medicine. But he'll stay eating his caviar in Moscow while Russian squaddies and civilians die.

War is a terrible thing.

“War is a place where young people who don’t know each other, and don’t hate each other, kill each other, by the decision of older rulers who know each other and hate each other, but don’t kill each other…”

― Brandt Legg, Cosega Shock

18 hours ago, Chinahand said:

Have to say I can't help wondering what must be on the minds of the young squaddies ordered to advance into Russia.

They are going to get hit hard. It might take some time, but Russia isn't going to leave them be.

If they leave, I can't imagine the Russians won't bring artillery to bear on them on the border, if they fortify and stay put it'll be even worse.

Many deaths and much destruction, this time likely via a Ukrainian advance, hold and possible retreat. All to give Putin some of his own medicine. But he'll stay eating his caviar in Moscow while Russian squaddies and civilians die.

War is a terrible thing.

“War is a place where young people who don’t know each other, and don’t hate each other, kill each other, by the decision of older rulers who know each other and hate each other, but don’t kill each other…”

― Brandt Legg, Cosega Shock

Where have you been for the last two and a half years...

The point is this is the first time Ukraine has really tried to seize (& hold) Russian territory. 

It is all well and good for Ukrainian troops to defensively fight off an assault on their territory but to offensively advance into Russia that's a different kettle of fish. 

Land for peace hasn't exactly been a successful way of swapping out conflicting claims. 

I'd hope that a grand peace conference is near, but suspect mass artillery and bombing raids are closer. 

It takes some balls to invade Russia. 

If I was a squaddie goodness knows how I'd feel. 

4 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

The point is this is the first time Ukraine has really tried to seize (& hold) Russian territory. 

It is all well and good for Ukrainian troops to defensively fight off an assault on their territory but to offensively advance into Russia that's a different kettle of fish. 

Land for peace hasn't exactly been a successful way of swapping out conflicting claims. 

I'd hope that a grand peace conference is near, but suspect mass artillery and bombing raids are closer. 

It takes some balls to invade Russia. 

If I was a squaddie goodness knows how I'd feel. 

Sadly there has to be a tipping point given the constant bombardment the Ukrainians have suffered. It was only a matter of time before Russia felt the same. As you say the people who start the wars very rarely fight them

Now then, Corporal. Remember most Ukrainian squaddies didn't join up ... They were conscripted. Puts a different perspective on the joke if you ask me. 

Edited by Chinahand

• 2 weeks later...

It's looking very interesting at the moment.   More dynamic than it has been in about a year.

The Ukrainians are taking out bridges in the Kursk region that would trap a couple of Russian Battalions (2000 men) and are ominously referring to their encirclement as a ‘cauldron’.  Their options are looking very limited. 

Inflation in Russia since the beginning of the war has exceeded 70%.  Doctors, Nurses and Paramedics are being offered huge sums (for Russians) to head to the border regions to treat the Orcs.  In reality they are being forced and causing a massive shortage of medics across the rest of Russia. 

In Proletarsk, a Russian oil depot has been burning for three days. Two fire trains, three Il-76 aircraft of the Russian Emergencies Ministry, 600 firefighters cannot cope with the fire and explosions (at least 120,000 tonnes of mostly military fuel burnt so far) a photo appeared of two priests at a temporary alter before the conflagration praying for rain, or something... 

Wednesday night there was the biggest drone attack on Moscow so far.  Around 10 were shot down, albeit with little damage on the ground.   30 odd drones elsewhere in the cuntry.

Germany issued arrest warrants for the alleged perpetrators of the Nord Stream sabotage. One of whom is a Ukrainian dive instructor who was living in Poland. Poland let him leave for Ukraine after the warrant was issued.  Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk addressed Germany and other beneficiaries of the gas pipeline on Twitter: "To all initiators and patrons of Nord Stream 1 and Nord Stream 2. The only thing you should do today is apologize and keep quiet."

• Like 1

The ability of a population to endure bombing, death and hardship during a war is sadly very very high. 

I may be just ignorant, but I can't think of many examples where a government was over-thrown during a war.

They can be defeated and over-thrown by the victors (Saddam Hussein) or defeated and over-thrown by the population angry at the defeat (the Argentinian junta), but uprisings/coups don't seem common during an active conflict. 

I think it is a simple truth that the Russian people have the ability to endure huge suffering and Putin is likely securer now than he was at the start of the war.

People's private opinion may be against him, but with the risk of charges of treason and the gulag for expressing those opinions, people won't act on their private opinions, and there isn't much they can do, even when the conscription letter arrives, and so they will wave Russian flags at rallies, march off to fight, and try to internalise the propaganda that this is all a western plot against mother Russia. Something which is easier to do when NATO supplied weapons are destroying villages in Kursk.

Ah ... how will this end?

• Like 1