Villa Marina walkway

Passing Time

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Same for sticks, skins and cymbals.

Terry Clough and Ray Norman ran the Island Music Centre in Duke Street with Ken Dove. Some Saturday afternoons it would be rammed and abuzz in there with youngsters trying out various instruments and looking starry-eyed at those who could actually play. And occasionally meet someone who was actually famous.

I think its gone the same way as motorcycles, its no longer "cool" to be in a band or ride a bike.

22 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Good news is that the plans were rejected. One small step for mankind etc etc

22 hours ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Man etc. 

19 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Go away, adults talking here...

At least one of whom is possibly senile. The phrase you mangled is "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind". It's a very famous quote of Neil Armstrong as he became the first human to set foot on the moon, the culmination of NASA's Apollo 11 mission. "One small step for mankind" would be a kinda dumb thing to say. And is.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

At least one of whom is possibly senile. The phrase you mangled is "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind". It's a very famous quote of Neil Armstrong as he became the first human to set foot on the moon, the culmination of NASA's Apollo 11 mission. "One small step for mankind" would be a kinda dumb thing to say. And is.  

Other than you, nobody else give a hoot.

9 hours ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Neil Armstrong actually said "One small step for a man" but unfortunately there was a sound glitch which removed the "a".

I reckon they'll be back with another application. All they need to do is remove one row of outside seating. By my reckoning the original seating plan had approx 112 covers. If ever they managed to fill them all the kitchen would never cope. 

Personally, I think the outside area should be for a limited period of say only 12:00 to 19:00 (max) for food (7 days a week), otherwise alcohol will ruin the atmos.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I reckon they'll be back with another application. All they need to do is remove one row of outside seating. By my reckoning the original seating plan had approx 112 covers. If ever they managed to fill them all the kitchen would never cope. 

Personally, I think the outside area should be for a limited period of say only 12:00 to 19:00 (max) for food (7 days a week), otherwise alcohol will ruin the atmos.

don't think the seating was the problem, more that they wanted to enclose the place in glass and make it an extension of the inside eatery/drinking

On 3/7/2022 at 3:24 PM, Numbnuts said:

Dont think there is. Even basics like guitar strings are not easy to source. Think somewhere in Pt Erin might do them. When I was a 'lad' there was Music Box and Rushworth and Drapers on Victoria Street . Didn't Ray Norman and Terry Clough have a outlet too ? . 

I think guitar strings are sold in Sound Records. Saw it mentioned in FB post. Not sure what else (never been in ) but might be worth a look.

9 hours ago, jackwhite said:

I think guitar strings are sold in Sound Records. Saw it mentioned in FB post. Not sure what else (never been in ) but might be worth a look.

Sounds has strings and a few bits and pieces. 

Bridge Book shop in Port Erin and Ramsey has strings and other accoutrements. 

• Like 1