Villa Marina walkway

Passing Time

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Application was rejected however they're appealing and have lodged new plans.

Walkway won't be a seated area is about the only difference.

I'm ambivalent towards it tbh.

Yes me too and tbh was in Jaks last week for a birthday do and food wasnt good. Not just mine but a few eating on our table. Not many in either and staff were very young and poor also. Not a good experience all round . Maybe he's spread to much as supervision and quality seemed to be lacking. Also prices for food and drinks were expensive. But guess we will have to get used to that . 

Edited by Numbnuts

7 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Yes me too and tbh was in Jaks last week for a birthday do and food wasnt good. Not just mine but a few eating on our table. Not many in either and staff were very young and poor also. Not a good experience all round . Maybe he's spread to much as supervision and quality seemed to be lacking. Also prices for food and drinks were expensive. But guess we will have to get used to that . 

I think a few of these issues are understandable.

Surprised to hear the food isn't good. That's inexcusable.

I don't think their prices are expensive but I've done this to death. Just out of interest, can you think of an example?

As for staff, there's a shortage in hospitality UK wide but it is frustrating when you're relying on them getting the food and drinks for you. I do know they were struggling for chefs too but, regardless, you still expect good food.

Just think this will be Barbary Coast with a slightly different theme.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

I think a few of these issues are understandable.

Surprised to hear the food isn't good. That's inexcusable.

I don't think their prices are expensive but I've done this to death. Just out of interest, can you think of an example?

As for staff, there's a shortage in hospitality UK wide but it is frustrating when you're relying on them getting the food and drinks for you. I do know they were struggling for chefs too but, regardless, you still expect good food.

Just think this will be Barbary Coast with a slightly different theme.

£2.55 for J20 is expensive . £2.40 in 1886. My burger was poorly presented and tasteless and frys looked like they need to change oil. Actually had the same burger on Saturday again in 1886 and while price was similiar taste was as different as chalk and cheese . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

£2.55 for J20 is expensive . £2.40 in 1886. My burger was poorly presented and tasteless and frys looked like they need to change oil. Actually had the same burger on Saturday again in 1886 and while price was similiar taste was as different as chalk and cheese . 

Yeah agreed. Those bloody things are over priced everywhere.

That's not good. Disappointing.

No doubt there will be a recruitment drive before opening other place but think the market is dry.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Application was rejected however they're appealing and have lodged new plans.

Walkway won't be a seated area is about the only difference.

I'm ambivalent towards it tbh.

I'm not against them opening, what I am against is them claiming the walkway as part of their premises. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

I'm not against them opening, what I am against is them claiming the walkway as part of their premises. 

Agree.

It must be galling for Jaks to see Davidsons sprawled all over the walkway though. I take it Jaks will be allowed to have outside tables for their loudmouthed drunken clientele and bouncers to lear and swear as people walk by, blowing smoke and that disgusting vape stuff into the area. This is a worst case scenario, but seems to be the scenarion everytime we walk by Jaks. Maybe smoking should be allowed back indoors.

1 hour ago, AOR said:

Agree.

It must be galling for Jaks to see Davidsons sprawled all over the walkway though. I take it Jaks will be allowed to have outside tables for their loudmouthed drunken clientele and bouncers to lear and swear as people walk by, blowing smoke and that disgusting vape stuff into the area. This is a worst case scenario, but seems to be the scenarion everytime we walk by Jaks. Maybe smoking should be allowed back indoors.

Snippet here of what it would look like.

https://gef.im/2022/04/04/jaks-owner-submits-new-plans-for-villa/

Similar to what the cafe have (not Davisons anymore) but with patio heaters too. Not sure there's a lot of room to walk through there still and an odd set up, having  people eating on both sides of you.

Don't think I'd want to sit there eating whilst it was a pedestrian walkway.

15 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Snippet here of what it would look like.

https://gef.im/2022/04/04/jaks-owner-submits-new-plans-for-villa/

Similar to what the cafe have (not Davisons anymore) but with patio heaters too. Not sure there's a lot of room to walk through there still and an odd set up, having  people eating on both sides of you.

Don't think I'd want to sit there eating whilst it was a pedestrian walkway.

Thanks for that. I don't agree with giving the cafe that space either, but I have to concede it has  proven to be a success for the business, although not for the general pedestrian.

I suppose I have too many memories of the Colonnade when it was an actual colonnade, before they put the ridiculous kink in it when the Villa was refurbished in the early 2000s,

Generally old people lounging about eating their ice cream and chips is just about acceptable, at a push, but a Jak's style licensed premises sprawled over the walkway - well actually, partitioned off from the walkway - is not.

14 minutes ago, AOR said:

Thanks for that. I don't agree with giving the cafe that space either, but I have to concede it has  proven to be a success for the business, although not for the general pedestrian.

I suppose I have too many memories of the Colonnade when it was an actual colonnade, before they put the ridiculous kink in it when the Villa was refurbished in the early 2000s,

Generally old people lounging about eating their ice cream and chips is just about acceptable, at a push, but a Jak's style licensed premises sprawled over the walkway - well actually, partitioned off from the walkway - is not.

Think the public can lodge an objection to it.

53 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I honestly can say I've never had a bad meal in jaks. Hope this place does well

i've only ever had one bad meal, but generally i don't have any complaints about the place, maybe my standards are less discerning 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Not too unduly bothered about them opening up jaks II just don't want the walkway to become part of their licence

It is though as part of the new application. The only difference is the public will be able to walk through the middle, similar to the cafe.

Never mind sitting with people walking by - it’s the dog shit smeared all through that walkway that is the big problem. I walk through there several times a week on my way to work and it’s a rare day when there’s not any dog shit. 

Edited by Itsmeee