Villa Marina walkway

Passing Time

Just now, Katman said:

Always thought the inside of the Villa Arcade should be just a food venue, with general seating in the central area and lots of different food establishments in the various retail outlets, some permanent, some run as pop-ups.

No problem if any food outlet wants to put seating there. The worry is that they start building walls and installing doors to stop free passage though the walkway

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Katman said:

Always thought the inside of the Villa Arcade should be just a food venue, with general seating in the central area and lots of different food establishments in the various retail outlets, some permanent, some run as pop-ups.

Most of it would appear to be now taken up with these types of venues. One or two other little ones, like the fancy dress shop, popping up. Not sure that's long term viable but good luck to them.

There's been mention of an 'Argentinian steakhouse' in the unit formerly occupied as The Italian Job (I think that was the name) too so would take up a fair percentage. It could be a great little place, if run correctly.

On 6/22/2022 at 9:44 PM, Passing Time said:

From what I am hearing, this is going ahead.

Of course it is.

Any business that can be granted a 3:30am boozing licence. (No need for euphemisms here, Jaks is a boozer. Big expensive screens and lots of chrome and bright lights, I agree, but a boozer - and all that goes with the epithet - nonetheless) can get just about whatever they want.

Edited by AOR

4 hours ago, AOR said:

Of course it has.

Any business that can be granted a 3:30am boozing licence. (No need for euphemisms here, Jaks is a boozer. Big expensive screens and lots of chrome and bright lights, I agree, but a boozer - and all that goes with the epithet - nonetheless) can get just about whatever they want.

That's nonsense. 

You're back to the former prejudice again. 

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

That's nonsense. 

You're back to the former prejudice again. 

I know of no pub goer who was crying out, or for that matter even whispering for a 3:30am license.

Alcoholics are alcoholics. Give them the facility and they will use it.

My point being, the business wanted the 3:30am license, not the customer. The business gets what the business want (£££s). 

4 hours ago, AOR said:

I know of no pub goer who was crying out, or for that matter even whispering for a 3:30am license.

Alcoholics are alcoholics. Give them the facility and they will use it.

My point being, the business wanted the 3:30am license, not the customer. The business gets what the business want (£££s). 

By going to a 3am licence, the trade spectacularly shot themselves in the foot. They must be regretting the choice now

I hope so.

I feel it is taking advantage of drinkers/alcoholics. (some would say all drinker are alcoholics, it's just to different extents).

No one was petitioning Tynwald and the blinkin' licence committee or whoever decides these things, for a 3:30am license. So I assume with the so-called, oh so  cosmopolitan "24 hour drinking" the pub owners get what the pub owners want.

Have they applied for a Pub or restaurant license??? Not sure they're at that stage yet?

Of course, a restaurant license can be expanded upon next summer to a full license ( because  customers have asked for it!!! ).But for now, isn't it just a food outlet???

Edited by Kopek

9 hours ago, AOR said:

I hope so.

I feel it is taking advantage of drinkers/alcoholics. (some would say all drinker are alcoholics, it's just to different extents).

No one was petitioning Tynwald and the blinkin' licence committee or whoever decides these things, for a 3:30am license. So I assume with the so-called, oh so  cosmopolitan "24 hour drinking" the pub owners get what the pub owners want.

longer hours was the worst thing ever,  people only have X amount of income to spend on booze no matter how long a pub is open . the downside for pubs is that they now have to staff the place and power the place for longer at greater cost to extract the same amount of money from punters. 

• Like 4

Again, I don't necessarily disagree that 3.30 or later is required.

However you just look like Abe Simpson shouting at clouds with statements like the one above. What complete nonsense. Do you have some kind of factual information to confirm this or is it just a wild theory?

Also, again, you seem to think it's easy to get a license to operate at that time. Can you prove this either?

10 hours ago, Kopek said:

Have they applied for a Pub or restaurant license??? Not sure they're at that stage yet?

Of course, a restaurant license can be expanded upon next summer to a full license ( because  customers have asked for it!!! ).But for now, isn't it just a food outlet???

They will likely be in court a month or two before they intend to open. Normally how it works. The courts are very busy at the moment and can be up to 3 months before you get in. Very doubtful they will open as just food. 

Edited by jackwhite

8 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Again, I don't necessarily disagree that 3.30 or later is required.

However you just look like Abe Simpson shouting at clouds with statements like the one above. What complete nonsense. Do you have some kind of factual information to confirm this or is it just a wild theory?

Also, again, you seem to think it's easy to get a license to operate at that time. Can you prove this either?

They will likely be in court a month or two before they intend to open. Normally how it works. The courts are very busy at the moment and can be up to 3 months before you get in. Very doubtful they will open as just food. 

I would suggest it is about time the trade took a long hard look at whether or not these late hours are really needed. They can't be profitable as a lot of the customers have been drinking prior to coming out and not buying that much when they are in your pub/club