DBC Megathread

Max Power

13 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I bet they don’t have a drinks cabinet now. They probably offer vegan sausage rolls and tap water. 

So it looks like the Loony left have finally taken over the Town Hall , God help the Poor rate payers is all I can say ,! housing rights  for Dogs and Cats , going to war on private landlords fully knowing the rules don't apply to the corporation properties  and only one bin collection a fortnight , and where in lower Douglas are the muppets going to leave the 4000 new bins that are coming ,answer , every back lane and pavement in central Douglas and all  we are told is to save £25K  watch this space ! but were putting festoon lights around the inner harbour !

• Like 1

I am on this committee and his resignation came as a surprise to me. I get on well with him but I know that the new and the old guard have different views on things. What sometimes surprises me are the things we end up arguing about in town hall, and I don't recall anything mega upsetting happening that would have caused me to do the same thing in his position. I do know there were some things he thought strongly about. How quitting the committee helps those causes I don't know. I think the new guard does have a very different approach and I can only speak for myself of course, but I do try and do and vote for what I think is right and responsible. That may not always be in line with set expectations and local relationships developed by others over many years, but new brooms and all that. I have every confidence in the new chairman, Councillor Bentley, and really enjoy being on the committee. 

• Like 1

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

The old guard have been largely on the fiddle. Cleaning contracts, contractor contracts. It will take about 10 years for the current incumbents to get as greedy and untouchable as the people they replace. 

Thank you for your trust. 

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I am on this committee and his resignation came as a surprise to me. I get on well with him but I know that the new and the old guard have different views on things. What sometimes surprises me are the things we end up arguing about in town hall, and I don't recall anything mega upsetting happening that would have caused me to do the same thing in his position. I do know there were some things he thought strongly about. How quitting the committee helps those causes I don't know. I think the new guard does have a very different approach and I can only speak for myself of course, but I do try and do and vote for what I think is right and responsible. That may not always be in line with set expectations and local relationships developed by others over many years, but new brooms and all that. I have every confidence in the new chairman, Councillor Bentley, and really enjoy being on the committee. 

Good on you fella. You have to admire people who give up their time freely to try to make where they live a better place. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Nothing to do with the ludicrous decision to stop motorhomes parking up behind the grandstand then? A golden opportunity to raise money instead of your usual waste money tactics. Shortsighted or what

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Nothing to do with the ludicrous decision to stop motorhomes parking up behind the grandstand then? A golden opportunity to raise money instead of your usual waste money tactics. Shortsighted or what

The proposal brought to us wasn't strong enough. A whole lot of effort and risk for very little financial reward. The subject might reappear in different form and with a stronger business case. 

30 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

The proposal brought to us wasn't strong enough. A whole lot of effort and risk for very little financial reward. The subject might reappear in different form and with a stronger business case. 

Who brought the proposal to you ?? Central government or ??