DBC Megathread

Max Power

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

What I think is its about trying to balance the books as they would seem to be top heavy with management etc like all public funded outfits over here. 

But like all PS bodies here, their only recourse to balancing the books is to increase charges and cut services to those whom they purport to serve.

That they might countenance turning the knife upon themselves is unthinkable.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

But like all PS bodies here, their only recourse to balancing the books is to increase charges and cut services to those whom they purport to serve.

That they might countenance turning the knife upon themselves is unthinkable.

Sadly thats true. The old adage ,Turkeys don't vote for Xmas comes to mind ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, finlo said:

As we all know it's nothing to do with the environment it all about saving money (helps keep the free bar going!):ph34r:

Yes. But we should all be celebrating the massive saving that DBC will be making. £25,000. I mean that's about a whole £ per person per year. Not to be sniffed at! I mean its not possible that that saving will be offset by the cost of cleaning all the rubbish off the streets for the next 12months not to mention the longtails and seagull menace is it?.

If we want to encourage recycling we should encourage it. Trying to force it doesn't work. They tried this in many council areas in the UK 30 years ago. Never worked. Some councils now have 2 bins (proper wheelie bins not a crappy plastic tub that you have to keep inside). That has a chance. DBC's suggestion will fail miserably, piss everyone off and save nothing.

Expect people to be going round at 2 in the morning dumping their rubbish in other peoples bins

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

I wouldn’t mind when they first brought out recycling they burnt it in the incinerator to keep it going. 

This.

We/they have spent squillions on an incinerator AND recycling.

Put the whole fucking lot in the incinerator and stop pissing tax and rate payers money up the proverbial wall.

ETA: The Isle of Man Where You Can..... not see the wood for the trees!

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

This.

We/they have spent squillions on an incinerator AND recycling.

Put the whole fucking lot in the incinerator and stop pissing tax and rate payers money up the proverbial wall.

ETA: The Isle of Man Where You Can..... not see the wood for the trees!

Yes! The decision was taken by Big Government to go down the road of incineration. The local authorities should be required to fall into line and support this strategy until such a time the incinerator is up for renewal. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Yes. But we should all be celebrating the massive saving that DBC will be making. £25,000. I mean that's about a whole £ per person per year. Not to be sniffed at! I mean its not possible that that saving will be offset by the cost of cleaning all the rubbish off the streets for the next 12months not to mention the longtails and seagull menace is it?.

If we want to encourage recycling we should encourage it. Trying to force it doesn't work. They tried this in many council areas in the UK 30 years ago. Never worked. Some councils now have 2 bins (proper wheelie bins not a crappy plastic tub that you have to keep inside). That has a chance. DBC's suggestion will fail miserably, piss everyone off and save nothing.

Expect people to be going round at 2 in the morning dumping their rubbish in other peoples bins

It worked in the London Borough I used to live in over 20 years ago.  They had 2 wheelie bins - one for recycling, the other for everything else. 

DBC have said they are issuing new containers for recycling, I think.  As long as they are fit for purpose it should work. 

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It worked in the London Borough I used to live in over 20 years ago.  They had 2 wheelie bins - one for recycling, the other for everything else. 

DBC have said they are issuing new containers for recycling, I think.  As long as they are fit for purpose it should work. 

I might be mistaken but I thought I read that they were not issuing new recycling containers. 

I agree with the 2 bin strategy, although it takes a will to make it work. Some people just pile everything into either bin. I once watched a women scrape an old cake into tje recycling bin. 

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I might be mistaken but I thought I read that they were not issuing new recycling containers. 

I agree with the 2 bin strategy, although it takes a will to make it work. Some people just pile everything into either bin. I once watched a women scrape an old cake into tje recycling bin. 

You might be right.  They are issuing big woven bags at the moment.  If that is all, then it won't work, a lot of people don't have anywhere to store these things. 

If they issue wheelie bins for recycling, would they work with the lorries? 

23 minutes ago, immortalpuppet said:

Time is ticking on and no sign of a decent size bin for recycling if that’s the strategy DBC wants people to get on board with. If the cost of supplying a 2nd bin for recycling exceeds £25k someone needs binning off the panel 

Love the pun. 

37 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I hope your baking improves

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I once watched a women scrape an old cake into tje recycling bin. 

Perhaps she thought it would go the Foodbank?

Currently the recycling is manually sorted in the street, if a wheely bin were provided there would need to be separate collections for rubbish and recycling and somewhere for the glass paper etc to be sorted.

If rubbish is cut to fortnightly, then the other week could be for recycling collections using the same trucks as now but would still need somewhere to sort it.

There is a plan for a new re-cycling centre for Dlas , could it be that that is to provide for the above requirements for sorting? Is this an unnecessary expense to fit the new system?

What would happen to the old recycling trucks? Scrap? If both rubbish and recyling were to be collected at the same time, there would need to be two sides to the truck, the current ones could not do that, would they be scrapped and replaced with more expense? They would also only be able to collect half the rubbish they do currently!!!

I'm not against re-cycling and re-appraisal of the system, just want upfront honesty and costs.

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Perhaps she thought it would go the Foodbank?

Currently the recycling is manually sorted in the street, if a wheely bin were provided there would need to be separate collections for rubbish and recycling and somewhere for the glass paper etc to be sorted.

If rubbish is cut to fortnightly, then the other week could be for recycling collections using the same trucks as now but would still need somewhere to sort it.

There is a plan for a new re-cycling centre for Dlas , could it be that that is to provide for the above requirements for sorting? Is this an unnecessary expense to fit the new system?

What would happen to the old recycling trucks? Scrap? If both rubbish and recyling were to be collected at the same time, there would need to be two sides to the truck, the current ones could not do that, would they be scrapped and replaced with more expense? They would also only be able to collect half the rubbish they do currently!!!

I'm not against re-cycling and re-appraisal of the system, just want upfront honesty and costs.

A perfect opportunity to get some new LNG powered trucks!

• Like 1