DBC Megathread

Max Power

On 2/23/2022 at 9:21 PM, Manx17 said:

You sound like you know this persons private business. Are you in the corporation?

No I don't but you know him and you are making public his private business. It all sounds a bit horrific. I am willing to, even metaphorically, wave a placard around with you, but I think there must be more to this than what you have gleaned. Don't you? 

Hi Amadeus:-

I begin with a sincere thank you for taking the time to respond to the Forum. The long overdue transparency into the workings of Douglas Borough Council (DBC) is very much appreciated.

Councillor Pitts recently announced his resignation as Chairman of the Regeneration and Community Committee (R&CC) due, in part, to there being a ‘lack of camaraderie’. This may well be a tad disingenuous with the latest fiasco yet to become public knowledge.

In March of 2020, the R&CC of DBC announced, in conjunction with Manx Gas, it was to trial a compressed natural gas (CNG) powered vehicle.  Other local authorities and interested parties were given access to the 3-month trial. Only DBC deemed the trial successful, which subsequently led to four vehicles being purchased. Estimated costs were said to exceed £100,000.  An additional cost (approx. £10,000) had been incurred to provide plant facilities to enable the natural gas to be compressed on-site.  Further costs would be incurred for the training of vehicle technicians in the vehicles’ high pressure gas systems – a legal requirement.

The vehicles were delivered in mid-2021, since when they have been left to decay in a Douglas field, overlooking a public footpath, ironically mocking the passing rate payers who have paid for them. 

Simply put, it’s said that the vehicles aren’t authorised for use on Manx roads on account of them not being Type Approved.  For Type Approval, a change in Manx vehicle legislation will be required and such changes will have to go before Tynwald for discussion.

It is believed a request to the manufacturer to accept return of all 4 vehicles has been refused on account of them being supplied ‘in good faith'.  It is now alleged the vehicles are being considered for transfer back across to the UK and put straight to auction.

So I respectfully present the following questions for your consideration.

1)      Who of the R&CC authorised the purchase?

2)      What 'due diligence' was employed to ensure they were suitable for DBC use?

3)      What costs have been incurred retaining the vehicles that the CNG vehicles were due to replace e.g. ongoing maintenance, depreciation etc.?

4)      How much has been invested on this project at the current time?

I await your response with interest.

Kind regards Sophie_C (Douglas ratepayer).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Sophie_C said:

Hi Amadeus:-

I begin with a sincere thank you for taking the time to respond to the Forum. The long overdue transparency into the workings of Douglas Borough Council (DBC) is very much appreciated.

Councillor Pitts recently announced his resignation as Chairman of the Regeneration and Community Committee (R&CC) due, in part, to there being a ‘lack of camaraderie’. This may well be a tad disingenuous with the latest fiasco yet to become public knowledge.

In March of 2020, the R&CC of DBC announced, in conjunction with Manx Gas, it was to trial a compressed natural gas (CNG) powered vehicle.  Other local authorities and interested parties were given access to the 3-month trial. Only DBC deemed the trial successful, which subsequently led to four vehicles being purchased. Estimated costs were said to exceed £100,000.  An additional cost (approx. £10,000) had been incurred to provide plant facilities to enable the natural gas to be compressed on-site.  Further costs would be incurred for the training of vehicle technicians in the vehicles’ high pressure gas systems – a legal requirement.

The vehicles were delivered in mid-2021, since when they have been left to decay in a Douglas field, overlooking a public footpath, ironically mocking the passing rate payers who have paid for them. 

Simply put, it’s said that the vehicles aren’t authorised for use on Manx roads on account of them not being Type Approved.  For Type Approval, a change in Manx vehicle legislation will be required and such changes will have to go before Tynwald for discussion.

It is believed a request to the manufacturer to accept return of all 4 vehicles has been refused on account of them being supplied ‘in good faith'.  It is now alleged the vehicles are being considered for transfer back across to the UK and put straight to auction.

So I respectfully present the following questions for your consideration.

1)      Who of the R&CC authorised the purchase?

2)      What 'due diligence' was employed to ensure they were suitable for DBC use?

3)      What costs have been incurred retaining the vehicles that the CNG vehicles were due to replace e.g. ongoing maintenance, depreciation etc.?

4)      How much has been invested on this project at the current time?

I await your response with interest.

Kind regards Sophie_C (Douglas ratepayer).

Hello Sophie. What a nicely detailed and precise post. To answer your questions, I can't answer your questions, as this has nothing to do with the committee I am on and was also well before my time. I have forwarded your post to someone in town hall who I hope will know more & will revert once I hear back. 

This is fairly typical of the system though. The slate is wiped clean at election time and no responsibility can be apportioned to either the departed or the incoming newly elected, it's nobody's responsibility any more.

It's teflon-shouldery of the highest order but some have made very successful careers out of it.

But look on the bright side; the vehicles can eventually be auctioned off in the same fashion as the chewing gum removal machine - at a huge loss to the Douglas ratepayer.

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

This is fairly typical of the system though. The slate is wiped clean at election time and no responsibility can be apportioned to either the departed or the incoming newly elected, it's nobody's responsibility any more.

It's teflon-shouldery of the highest order but some have made very successful careers out of it.

what about the execs who probably pushed for this?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gizo said:

I’d like to know which field they’re rotting in. 
I never got a chance to see the chewing gum machine, but I’d like to see this latest corpy white elephant.

Must be a revenue oportunity there for a walk through viewing . Say 50p a gander. I'd willingly pay that to see what my rate rise has been wasted on. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Manx17 said:

I don’t know the person at all

I don't know him from Adam. You do:

On 2/23/2022 at 8:48 PM, Manx17 said:

He was talking to his advocate, looked like they had just left the court. So I don’t think there is anything more to it. He looked very distressed 

(Approximately 50% of people leaving court look distressed)