DBC Megathread

Max Power

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

I cannot speak for the council here, just for myself, and speaking as myself, I am wondering that too and will ask about it - as I have already seen another councillor saying he will. Maybe as email, maybe as question in council next week. I will only know the figures myself shortly once they are being circulated as part of the paperwork ahead of next week's meeting. That will then be the time to question why they are being classed as confidential and depending on the answer, decide how to act. 

End of the day someone or some people need to be losing their jobs because of this. It's massive incompetence and massive waste of ratepayers money.

• Like 2

My anecdotal understanding is that these vehicles proved perfect for the job and were in use until they were a year old and needed to be tested, and the Test Centre refused to do it because they didn't have the right test equipment. Which is a bucket of soapy water to test for gas leaks allegedly...

Of course, this might be completely bogus and there's actually a good reason, but I asked and couldn't find one.

• Like 1

“Commercially sensitive.”

it basically boils down to the fact that if the public knew how good a deal the government was getting, they would question why they were paying so much if buying privately.

companies have all manner of reasons for supplying stuff at a lower price to govt. I’m the case of vehicles, for the likes of the police they are extreme test beds, and a degree of philanthropy. Everyone wins. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

My anecdotal understanding is that these vehicles proved perfect for the job and were in use until they were a year old and needed to be tested, and the Test Centre refused to do it because they didn't have the right test equipment. Which is a bucket of soapy water to test for gas leaks allegedly...

Of course, this might be completely bogus and there's actually a good reason, but I asked and couldn't find one.

It sounds a reasonable assumption. It could alternately be that they worked out that, although LPG is cleaner in terms of particulates and things like NO2 its actually much more polluting in terms of CO2. That is because Diesel contains much more energy per litre and that's why its widely used. LPG is rubbish in terms of energy per litre.

56 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It sounds a reasonable assumption. It could alternately be that they worked out that, although LPG is cleaner in terms of particulates and things like NO2 its actually much more polluting in terms of CO2. That is because Diesel contains much more energy per litre and that's why its widely used. LPG is rubbish in terms of energy per litre.

Don't know how much difference it makes but these were compressed natural gas rather than LPG. I was told they were less powerful than using traditional fuels, but more than grunty enough for intended use.

12 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Don't know how much difference it makes but these were compressed natural gas rather than LPG. I was told they were less powerful than using traditional fuels, but more than grunty enough for intended use.

Sorry. Yes I meant compressed natural gas. My error.

Same reasoning. Its terribly inefficient

• Its low energy density results in low engine performance.
  • It has Low engine volumetric efficiency because of gaseous fuel.
  • It Needs Large storage tanks, which is a safety concern.
  • It has Inconsistent fuel properties.
  • Its refueling is a slow process.
  • It's highly combustible.

15 hours ago, Kopek said:

😘

Yes, they can check the top speed on closed roads, can't they!!!

23 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

More a case of them running 24 hours a day.  Stuff wears out 3x as fast for some reason?

Might be true for some forces. Not the Island. 

More likely to be wrecked by destructive  driving techniques taught and practiced by police “advanced” driving.

• Like 2

Some people can wreck a car in a very short time, how they do it I don't know. Everything from engine mounts, low oil and water to sloppy gearbox, worn dampers and a wrecked interior!

Is it staying in low gears too long? Heaving it around corners?

18 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

The reason given to me when I queried this was that the rules say only LPG cars are allowed, see Section K, clause 54 (page 74) of the attached. Seems to me this would be very easy to change.

2012-sd-0323.pdf

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Might be true for some forces. Not the Island. 

More likely to be wrecked by destructive  driving techniques taught and practiced by police “advanced” driving.

The vans are out 24/7.

we have had some very good deals for the taxpayers 

23 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I cannot speak for the council here, just for myself, and speaking as myself, I am wondering that too and will ask about it - as I have already seen another councillor saying he will. Maybe as email, maybe as question in council next week. I will only know the figures myself shortly once they are being circulated as part of the paperwork ahead of next week's meeting. That will then be the time to question why they are being classed as confidential and depending on the answer, decide how to act. 

anyone walking the plank for this one, or is it another case of lessons will be learned?

• Haha 5