DBC Megathread

Max Power

8 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

And some people just leave them lining the streets untaxed as a public nuisance. There are a lot of car abusers out there.

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/courts/taxi-driver-fined-in-row-over-untaxed-vehicles-514980

Is this the first time he's been up in court for this?

If you abuse animals you get banned from  keeping them. Should be the same for vehicles 

13 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It does rather give rise to the question as to what happened between the purchase of the vehicles in (presumably) late 2020 and being told that they couldn't be approved, and then only approaching the Minister to get things changed in January 2022.  That looks like a year when nothing was done.

Also, if you've managed without the use of the vehicles for a good year, why do you need them or their diesel replacements anyway?  Or does the Corpy have to have enough vehicles so as to justify the existence of a 'fleet manager'.

I believe commercial operators of vehicles above a certain number are mandated by the regulations to have a Fleet Manager. It's not a choice. 

The really helpful email/text service that tells you when the recycling is about to be collected - does it have some sort of shelf life built in to the program? A few times now I’ve had to re register as it’s not sent me a reminder after a few months. Sometimes I don’t have time to check the local binfluencer, and I don’t want to miss the collection. 

Just now, Whiskey said:

The really helpful email/text service that tells you when the recycling is about to be collected - does it have some sort of shelf life built in to the program? A few times now I’ve had to re register as it’s not sent me a reminder after a few months. Sometimes I don’t have time to check the local binfluencer, and I don’t want to miss the collection. 

Yes, it missed me once do I rang and was told to re-register.  Now I get two notifications!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

I can’t even put into words how stupid an idea this is.

Just why?  I really don’t see any positive reason to turn a road that people use into a place for kids to play.  Who decides when it’s a road and when it’s a playground?  Is it still closed even if it’s throwing it down?  Can Mabel still have her parcels and medicines delivered?

Seriously the town is an absolute dump and an embarrassment to bring visitors to and they are wasting time on this rubbish.

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/play-street-scheme-coming-to-douglas-515270?fbclid=IwAR2SDm04sHXYATGH09BzA7RXKRwYmIpOm2HgEKp3zbaVqliQnO0vCxm08os

Seems to feed into DBCs and the green party anticar agenda.  We have plenty of places for children to play, encouraging them to play in the road seems counter productive. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

I can’t even put into words how stupid an idea this is.

Just why?  I really don’t see any positive reason to turn a road that people use into a place for kids to play.  Who decides when it’s a road and when it’s a playground?  Is it still closed even if it’s throwing it down?  Can Mabel still have her parcels and medicines delivered?

Seriously the town is an absolute dump and an embarrassment to bring visitors to and they are wasting time on this rubbish.

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/play-street-scheme-coming-to-douglas-515270?fbclid=IwAR2SDm04sHXYATGH09BzA7RXKRwYmIpOm2HgEKp3zbaVqliQnO0vCxm08os

So, who is responsible when your car is full of dents from kids playing football, or worse?

90675200-5ee4f84226ca4dc415f33b42df608aa6.jpg?width=669&height=445&crop=669:445,smart&quality=75

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

If you think about old central Douglas most of it is quite graceful built around original Victorian Squares that don’t exist anywhere else any more. It always reminds me of the streets around Grosvenor or Berkeley Square in London. You’re only really a street or two away from a green space of some sort as you say.

Lets close the town hall and sack them all , leave Braddan or Onchan to empty the dustbins , I don't think we would notice any difference 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, hissingsid said:

Cricket

When I was a lad the street lamposts were concrete and about the same width as a cricket wicket. I don't know how the children of today are going to manage with these narrow metal lamposts.

Of course in those days there were no cars parked in the street - were all too poor.

Possibly the retort will be - Concrete lamposts? You were lucky.

MR.  ''     Police believe sexual exploitation of children exists 'more significantly' on the Isle of Man than originally thought.    ''.

Not all kids are old enough to go to the nearest Park. Presumably the Parents woll be in the street to watch the younger Kids???

.......but not in my street!!!