DBC Megathread

Max Power

14 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Another 20pages of moaning ratepayers. Just deal with it. It’s happening. Stop buying shit from china, and Amazon. Buy local, go to the shops before they become extinct, stop buying food online and recycle. 
and guess what you’ll be pleasantly surprised. 

It does help if you try to reduce the amount of waste you create. If you live in a rural area the one bin every fortnight is not news. It’s always been so. Cans and bottles go to the recycle bins. It does help to have the ability to be able to burn all paper and cardboard. Can’t see that being popular in a residential estate. 

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

So not only have they halved bin collections, they're halving your bins too*

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/douglas-council-further-reduce-waste-collection-service/

*(Well, that's if you have two bins, in Colby where collections are fortnightly you get two bins)

How will they know who's bin is whose?

Is there any news on the £50k(?) a year to push seaweed around on the Douglas beaches?

All that diesel being pointlessly burned so the seaweed can wash up again on the next tide, have we nobody concerned about emissions on DBC 😉 ? And no doubt the contract price will have to be renegotiated up in April when the "contractor" is obliged to start using white diesel?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gizo said:

Another 20pages of moaning ratepayers. Just deal with it. It’s happening. Stop buying shit from china, and Amazon. Buy local, go to the shops before they become extinct, stop buying food online and recycle. 
and guess what you’ll be pleasantly surprised. 

Well some houses have 6/7 people residing & no matter how careful you are there’s still going to be a lot of rubbish over 2 weeks in 1 bin!

Were in Braddan where we get weekly bincollection & recycling every 2 weeks so not an issue & cheaper rates 😀

Edited by Banker

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

Yes when the fly tipping starts (as it will) it will all become clear. Also even when you don’t fly tip I’m struggling to work out how it’s more beneficial for the environment for me, my neighbour, and everyone else in the street, to drive our own green waste and other stuff to the recycling centre every week in our own cars than it is to have one fuel burning bin wagon pick up everyone’s green waste every week and take it to the tip? 

As we all know it's nothing to do with the environment it all about saving money (helps keep the free bar going!):ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As we all know, it's about 'responsibility'!

Stop gardening, the Bees and Butterflies will appreciate that. Flowers only last a week? Wild flowers go on all summer.

Pack your bin tightly and you'll get twice as much in it. Don't seal half a bag of air in it, crush the air out, lay it flat in the bin.

Done!

6 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m actually not sure what it’s about. Cynically I think it’s probably about certain people building up credentials as concerned citizens in order to stand for Keys next time round. The green wave seems to be the one to position yourself to ride for next time around. 

What I think is its about trying to balance the books as they would seem to be top heavy with management etc like all public funded outfits over here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1