DBC Megathread

Max Power

23 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

What I think is its about trying to balance the books as they would seem to be top heavy with management etc like all public funded outfits over here. 

I don't, I think it really is just willy-waving from Falk and Frank. The savings are so little as to be hardly worthwhile.

I had fortnightly bin collections and fortnightly recycling in the UK. It was mostly fine, except at Christmas, but we had proper recycling wheelie bins and not these stupid little boxes thar blow away in a slight breeze. And as for Frank's public assertion that there's no issue with vermin, I can assure him that in summer there was. You can imagine how the baby's nappies fermented nicely in hot weather. And there's no recycling those.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I don't, I think it really is just willy-waving from Falk and Frank. The savings are so little as to be hardly worthwhile.

I had fortnightly bin collections and fortnightly recycling in the UK. It was mostly fine, except at Christmas, but we had proper recycling wheelie bins and not these stupid little boxes thar blow away in a slight breeze. And as for Frank's public assertion that there's no issue with vermin, I can assure him that in summer there was. You can imagine how the baby's nappies fermented nicely in hot weather. And there's no recycling those.

Except that the fermenting nappies would be in a wheelie bin (my son was nappy wearing age when we had the recycling/other wheels bins).  Vermin was not a problem. 

28 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

imagine how the baby's nappies fermented nicely in hot weather

I am far from being qualified to comment on this topic, but is it not recommended that the environmentally  friendly way of handling this problem is to not use disposable nappies at all - the old -fashioned way being the best way. Whatever that was.

18 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

That’s what you get when you’re dealing with a German and an Austrian. They’ll be annexing Onchan next. 

Did you just call me Austrian? No risk to Onchan, we only annex things of value. 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

On 3/15/2022 at 11:10 PM, Manx17 said:

Still a lot of bending up and down. Once your backs gone it’s gone and will always have problems with it.

On another Douglas corporation matter I see there have been pay and card machines installed in the public toilets at Shaws brow  car park , many people use them prior to going shopping , does the present council  not feel they have a  civic duty to provide free toilet  facilities  in the town , and I as a rate payer are happy for my money to be spent on decent community facilities like public toilets  and baby changing facilities , does anyone else feel the same way as I do about this issue  ,Just what is happening to our services in Douglas 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Omobono said:

On another Douglas corporation matter I see there have been pay and card machines installed in the public toilets at Shaws brow  car park , many people use them prior to going shopping , does the present council  not feel they have a  civic duty to provide free toilet  facilities  in the town , and I as a rate payer are happy for my money to be spent on decent community facilities like public toilets  and baby changing facilities , does anyone else feel the same way as I do about this issue  ,Just what is happening to our services in Douglas 

Just to clarify, you mean they have changed the toilets into something else or the card machines are actually in the toilets?

I was thinking you could go in the toilets and spend more than one penny

6 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Amadeus I do not think as a member of Douglas Town Council you can afford to make snide remarks about any other area.   Your failures just get bigger and better with time.

That's a bit harsh. He is not actually representing the council on here and his comment was clearly a joke.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Just to clarify, you mean they have changed the toilets into something else or the card machines are actually in the toilets?

I was thinking you could go in the toilets and spend more than one penny

The toilets  are still in the same place but there has been an apple pay cashcard reader pay machine  type lock placed on both ladies and Gents toilet doors ,  I guess they are looking to charge 20p   they were not operational when I was in yesterday . my concern is what are we paying our rates for if the corporation or not providing basic facilities like free toilets and baby changing facilities  this  along with the 2 week bin collection is a disgrace , in my opinion and it will have repercussions for the future environmental health of the town 

7 minutes ago, Omobono said:

The toilets  are still in the same place but there has been an apple pay cashcard reader pay machine  type lock placed on both ladies and Gents toilet doors ,  I guess they are looking to charge 20p   they were not operational when I was in yesterday . my concern is what are we paying our rates for if the corporation or not providing basic facilities like free toilets and baby changing facilities  this  along with the 2 week bin collection is a disgrace , in my opinion and it will have repercussions for the future environmental health of the town 

They've become just like all other areas of government the just want your money to pay for lots of inflated salary's without the hassle of actually providing any services in return!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Omobono said:

It seems a bit off, especially considering that most 'customers' for the loos will have already paid to park there.  Even apart from the public health and service aspects, you wonder whether the actual takings justify the expense of fitting and maintaining these things, but no doubt that's from a 'different budget', so some functionary will be able to claim how 'commercially-minded' they are being.

To be fair to the current councillors, this was probably approved and started under the old council.  It has the same 'energy' as the elaborate pay and display scheme at Nobles which was sidelined.  Though presumable it also originated from the same over-paid officers.

• Thanks 1

We have a huge public sector to maintain, public sector money is getting short and squeezing the public (while the public's squeezing its head in this instance) is, as usual the only recourse they know. Making any sort of meaningful cuts or economies is an alien concept.

It's remarkable. 13-odd years ago IoM Govt lost 1/3rd of its income with the VAT cutback. Yet Allan Bell refused to countenance any public sector cuts despite having expressed his concern about PS growth only a couple of years previously.

Fast forward to today and the finances have reached such a state that we've had to raise a £400M loan. The PS must have grown by a good couple of thousand more at least since Bell's concerns. Yet once again Alf Cannan declares that there's no need for an examination of PS numbers.

It's not difficult to see where this could be headed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3