DBC Megathread

Max Power

On 3/18/2022 at 4:53 PM, Roger Mexico said:

Thank you the information.  I find it fairly astonishing that they were unaware of a criminal record for fraud that was actually in the Isle of Man and you would assume that standard HR procedures would have required all previous convictions (or their lack) to be declared in writing.

The bit above puzzled me however.  Are you saying that the CNG vehicles were even more efficient than Walker claimed?  That would be an even better reason for purchase I would think.  Or did he overestimate the cost of consumption of the conventional vehicles he was comparing them to?

Edited by losgigantes
Personal

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

True but then the biggest witch hunts I’ve seen have all been public sector and the people concerned get very motivated by making someone’s life absolute hell just because they can. Whereas in the private sector it’s mainly just to get people to shut up and disappear. 

Another local authority behaving an a shady manner.  We don't need local authority reform, at this stage abolishment seems to be the only way to get rid of the rot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, finlo said:

Because whistle blowers get hung out to dry!

The whole point of the whistleblowing legislation is that they don't get hung out to dry.  

If that really is what is happening it needs looking at.

But, a whistle-blower needs to do it the right way. 

7 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Another local authority behaving an a shady manner.  We don't need local authority reform, at this stage abolishment seems to be the only way to get rid of the rot.

[Looks at recent cases such as Drs Ranson and Tinwell and  Employment Tribunal Schedule

Yes you'd never get the Isle of Man Government acting against whistleblowers.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

On the subject of charging for the bog, please don't forget that Douglas Corporation put a charge on for the toilets next to the kids park on the prom.

This is fucking shit behaviour.

As I have an IBD the locking of public toilets is a fkn nuisance. I carry a “caught short” card which has helped me enter buildings previously, however the last time I used it for a govt building they refused me point blank as I didn’t have a mask, I asked if they had a spare they said they couldn’t do that. I will go back and shit on there grass verge sometime in the future. 
I have a ‘master’ toilet key which they issue in the UK, so @Amadeus do you know if that key is useable here? I keep meaning to try the ones on York rd but forget!!!

48 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

They’re generally all the same Douglas, Onchan, Port St Mary etc. With individual exceptions it’s generally what happens when a load of unemployable dysfunctional blowhards find a way of gaining some sort of residual credibility they haven’t achieved elsewhere in life just because 5 people voted for them.

It's not the elected in these bodies that's the problem. Most of these people stand out of a desire to implement change and try and improve matters (my opinion anyway).

The problem lies in the unelected tin demi-gods in authorities whose sole purpose becomes to further themselves (and occasionally their mates) and who will stop at nothing to preserve their status and lots, regardless of whether it's right or wrong. The interests of the ratepayers come way down the list of priorities.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, losgigantes said:

Are the police investigating illegal vehicles trialled on Manx roads. If not why not? 

this whole issue should be investigated by governments internal audit  division , it appears there have been obvious breaches of the local government codes of conduct that apply to local authorities at the end of the day this body is there to scrutinise the rules under which the council operate under the local government act 

Sorry there are already accusations that there  is a stench of brown envelopes here and must be investigated 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gizo said:

As I have an IBD the locking of public toilets is a fkn nuisance. I carry a “caught short” card which has helped me enter buildings previously, however the last time I used it for a govt building they refused me point blank as I didn’t have a mask, I asked if they had a spare they said they couldn’t do that. I will go back and shit on there grass verge sometime in the future. 
I have a ‘master’ toilet key which they issue in the UK, so @Amadeus do you know if that key is useable here? I keep meaning to try the ones on York rd but forget!!!

I have no idea but I will find out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gizo said:

If you mean the RADAR scheme there's a list here (not necessarily up to date).

12 hours ago, Omobono said:

On another Douglas corporation matter I see there have been pay and card machines installed in the public toilets at Shaws brow  car park , many people use them prior to going shopping , does the present council  not feel they have a  civic duty to provide free toilet  facilities  in the town , and I as a rate payer are happy for my money to be spent on decent community facilities like public toilets  and baby changing facilities , does anyone else feel the same way as I do about this issue  ,Just what is happening to our services in Douglas 

I believe it was coin operated before and the charge is in place to prevent vandalism, but I will raise this internally.