DBC Megathread

Max Power

Re the Pulrose changing rooms, this is the old planning application showing the proposed new facility. Price came to close to 500k back then but prices for building material have gone up since, so probably north of that now. There's a chance the FA will pay some and there has been local fundraising, but a good amount will still need to be paid by others and you know what that means. Personally I think a less grand solution should be looked at. One where the costs can be justified and are more reasonable. What didn't help was that this has been ping ponged through the chamber and other channels for years. They need a new facility, everyone knows that. We just need to find a suitable solution that doesn't break the bank. 

1800732B_Amended_Proposed_Site_and_Floor_Plans_31st_Aug_18.pdf

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Re the Pulrose changing rooms, this is the old planning application showing the proposed new facility. Price came to close to 500k back then but prices for building material have gone up since, so probably north of that now. There's a chance the FA will pay some and there has been local fundraising, but a good amount will still need to be paid by others and you know what that means. Personally I think a less grand solution should be looked at. One where the costs can be justified and are more reasonable. What didn't help was that this has been ping ponged through the chamber and other channels for years. They need a new facility, everyone knows that. We just need to find a suitable solution that doesn't break the bank. 

1800732B_Amended_Proposed_Site_and_Floor_Plans_31st_Aug_18.pdf 1.11 MB · 0 downloads

What's wrong with a portacabin  type welfare unit as found on modern building sites?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

1800732B_Amended_Proposed_Site_and_Floor_Plans_31st_Aug_18.pdf 1.11 MB · 1 download

I thought they received a lottery grant to assist with the new changing rooms?

11 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Bet they find the money to put pride carnival on again though...

Privately funded and sponsored.

Want a Douglas Carneval, fund it yourself instead of making snide homophobic comments.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Heard on the NS that Douglas Carnival is possibly off, again, cannot make their minds up atm.

Funny that I haven’t heard that and I’m on the committee discussing it. We have meeting this week. If it comes up I’ll update after. 

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

that says more about you than me so I'll leave you with it

Perhaps you could explain your comment to the forum. On the surface it is insinuating that one thing is being treated differently to another for a reason that is not good. If it was read literally you might argue you did not mean to insinuate that. You have an opportunity to explain it better as I read it the same way that John did. Your case is not helped in that you were actually completely wrong as well.

It could be last weeks new regurgitated if it was a quiet news day but it was on today and they were interviewing people and asking their opinions on the matter.   Years ago the Carnival was a special night with the big bands playing, the majorettes, and a late night licence which was a big draw now the pubs can open until late anyway so no novelty.   People travelled from Ramsey, Peel etc it was a big night as was Laxey Fair for the same reason late night drinking was an event.

I often wonder why more advertising wasn’t a thing for the horse trams. Sponsor a tram for a season, lots of publicity, more so than a digital sign above everyone’s eyeline in the street.

I don’t understand the purpose of a modern carnival, there are bits through the year with parades showing off dancers, motorbikes, tractors. 

I understand pride to be fair, a celebration and big turn out to get out there as a community.

3 minutes ago, immortalpuppet said:

I often wonder why more advertising wasn’t a thing for the horse trams. Sponsor a tram for a season, lots of publicity, more so than a digital sign above everyone’s eyeline in the street.

Because the world has moved on since the 19th Century. 

Would you really want your business name splattered all over a tram being dragged by a horse through busy traffic?  Then the horse collapses/falls over/dies in front of everyone?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1