DBC Megathread

Max Power

14 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Because the world has moved on since the 19th Century. 

Would you really want your business name splattered all over a tram being dragged by a horse through busy traffic?  Then the horse collapses/falls over/dies in front of everyone?

Does that happen?

• Like 1

Just now, finlo said:

Didn't one cark it quite recently?

Not within the past couple of years, they haven't been running.  I don't remember that.  Horses have the musculature to heave heavy loads and isn't it the first pull that takes the effort?  A man can pull a horse tram, I seem to recall. 

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Not within the past couple of years, they haven't been running.  I don't remember that.  Horses have the musculature to heave heavy loads and isn't it the first pull that takes the effort?  A man can pull a horse tram, I seem to recall. 

It was Albert in 2014 where did that time go!

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Because the world has moved on since the 19th Century. 

Would you really want your business name splattered all over a tram being dragged by a horse through busy traffic?  Then the horse collapses/falls over/dies in front of everyone?

Wasn't that Black Beauties best mate Ginger? 

4 hours ago, Gladys said:

Does that happen?

Yes. 

3 hours ago, finlo said:

Didn't one cark it quite recently?

Most recent one was probably the one that decked it outside the Palace didn't die but had to be lifted back and a vet called. 

It was during one of those train spotter weekends if I remember right. 

8 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Yes. 

Most recent one was probably the one that decked it outside the Palace didn't die but had to be lifted back and a vet called. 

It was during one of those train spotter weekends if I remember right. 

You don't know if it's anything to do with pulling the tram though.

• Like 2

They should have put them at the side of the road, out of the way of cars, noise and pollution which aren't good for horses or passengers. The fact they didn't grasp this obvious best way to do things is staggering. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Was it because of  pulling a tram?

25 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Had the horse been mooching about a filed I would guess the strain on its heart would be less and the likelihood of cardiac arrest at that precise time would have been less.  But I guess we we will never know for certain.  Maybe rather than it being down to pulling the tram, it was scared by a motorbike or a lorry?

We do know for certain that the horse trams were a huge waste of money even before we engineered a major road around them.  We also know that the road is obviously too narrow and that when the stupid trams start running again they will hold all the traffic up.  That is assuming the tracks actually work.  I wouldn’t be surprised if some engineering oversight stops them running.

Of course we don't know unless there was a postmortem. However like humans horses don't just drop dead with heart attacks unless they have an existing  heart defect of heart disease.  IMO the trams are well within the capability of one of these horses and they seem to be quite willing to plod up and down. Granted, if someone was flogging them up hills then that would be cruel.

• Like 1