DBC Megathread

Max Power

42 minutes ago, Omobono said:

that must have been before 1971  there weren't any Pennies after that ,  but its the principal I object to , Most people  would rather have decent public services such as free toilets and a weekly refuse collection    than  some of the rubbish and nonsense  the corporation waste ratepayers money on ,

Free toilets is a good thing in theory. In practice, who is going to maintain them?

52 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The council staff. As part of their commitment to serving the public.

They are committed to serving the public right?

The moment we employ someone to do that we get criticised for employing someone to do that. If we outsource it we get criticised for outsourcing it. People think cleaning the bogs is something Doris can do between making tea and answering emails. Also, the main issue is vandalism, and not the type that occurs after you had a curry and visit one of the splendid council facilities. Truth is whatever we do with it people will complain. 

4 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

The moment we employ someone to do that we get criticised for employing someone to do that. If we outsource it we get criticised for outsourcing it. People think cleaning the bogs is something Doris can do between making tea and answering emails. Also, the main issue is vandalism, and not the type that occurs after you had a curry and visit one of the splendid council facilities. Truth is whatever we do with it people will complain. 

It was the decision to make the ones next to the kids park and occasional cafe on the prom 'pay to pee' toilets that made me realise that the people who make up Douglas Corporation were sociopaths. You weren't there then, but can I ask, do you think forcing parents of young children to pay to use the toilets that are sited right next to a park is justified? Little kids pee, a lot, often without much notice. 

37 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

It also depends how much time Doris spends making the tea 😉

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

I think that's a fair point and I have had the same dilemma many times. I think though that DB Ratepayers think that they pay for Toilet maintenance through their rates and quite rightly begrudge paying again to have a pee when they are in town. The other issue is what if you need to loo and you have no money. Is there an emergency option like with your mobile phone or are you expected to &^%$ on the floor?

27 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I think that's a fair point and I have had the same dilemma many times. I think though that DB Ratepayers think that they pay for Toilet maintenance through their rates and quite rightly begrudge paying again to have a pee when they are in town. The other issue is what if you need to loo and you have no money. Is there an emergency option like with your mobile phone or are you expected to &^%$ on the floor?

Didn’t your mum always ensure you had three old pennies in your pocket when you went out, 1d for the loo, 2d for the phone box?

Why can’t you do that for yourself now you’re all grown up?

Don't forget the mittens on string threaded through your sleeves.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Didn’t your mum always ensure you had three old pennies in your pocket when you went out, 1d for the loo, 2d for the phone box?

And L&R on your wellies! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That's the problem these days John, some people just aren't capable of thinking for themselves...

3 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

OK I am ready to be shot down in flames but Onchan do not charge for using the public toilets which are serviced by a cleaning firm if they can do it why can’t Douglas ?

Because they don't think they're running a massive metropolis and just provide public services? 

Although it's not like vandalism is a problem unique to Douglas:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/vandals-target-newly-refurbished-onchan-park-toilets/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-46842125

Edited by 0bserver

I think there is a question of 'Trust' around these charges. DCorp introduce a charge and say ''Ah, but we didn't increase the Rates by 0.002p. for this''! Can we be sure of this?

The  biggest of these type of extra charge would be an EFW charge which could be many pounds on top of the rates.

Are there any plans for that? Has it been discussed in the Council?

Cynic me?