DBC Megathread

Max Power

31 minutes ago, Kopek said:

All the services provided by the LAs would still need to be paid for. I think the Admin dept for an all Island 'council' would be more than the total of the current LAs admin. Especially as some LAs already combine their services with some of the smaller ones around them.

Not sure it would. What is the combined wage bill for the 21 Clerks?

17 hours ago, 0bserver said:

The only way to improve the current situation at DBC and all other local authorities is to have one clean sweep and disband them all. Replace them with an all-island Parks and Recreation body taking over swimming pools, parks, street cleaning - all the other basic functions that should be getting done without all the mini-empires that exist across the current c.21 organisations, followed by one all-island rate based on the cost of actual service provision. 

It needs a bold and clear vision from Tynwald to make it happen. 

There seem to be two main models floating around for LGR: central government runs it all and 4+1. I'm all for reform but what model is best? Unless you design the centrally run model very carefully and well, you'll end up with the DOI running the whole island, employing dozens of new staff to cover roles currently held by largely unpaid commissioners and councillors.

I'm happy to try and throw this more into the spotlight and get a proper public debate going (as are some of my council colleagues) but I think first of all we need to decide on a few options to debate. Then pick one and work on it before putting public pressure on Tynwald to do it. Like the DOI minister said at our meeting not too long ago: this can has been kicked down the road for 25+ years. How can we actually make it happen? 

One thing is clear to me: you will face fierce resistance from LA when you try to change anything. At the same time, people don't care about local politics, as seen in the low turnout and many unfilled seats. The only time anyone cares is when the rate bill arrives or the bins weren't emptied. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Amadeus said:

There seem to be two main models floating around for LGR: central government runs it all and 4+1. I'm all for reform but what model is best? Unless you design the centrally run model very carefully and well, you'll end up with the DOI running the whole island, employing dozens of new staff to cover roles currently held by largely unpaid commissioners and councillors.

I'm happy to try and throw this more into the spotlight and get a proper public debate going (as are some of my council colleagues) but I think first of all we need to decide on a few options to debate. Then pick one and work on it before putting public pressure on Tynwald to do it. Like the DOI minister said at our meeting not too long ago: this can has been kicked down the road for 25+ years. How can we actually make it happen? 

One thing is clear to me: you will face fierce resistance from LA when you try to change anything. At the same time, people don't care about local politics, as seen in the low turnout and many unfilled seats. The only time anyone cares is when the rate bill arrives or the bins weren't emptied. 

4+1 suits best probably. Laxey and lonan, and arbory and rushen took things into their own hands a bit and joined up kind of, I'm sure more could. There is certainly no need for 6 in the south for example, you could maybe argue for two along the lines of the Tynwald constituencies.

Of course what that reform would really mean is massive rate hikes for those who don't live in the most expensive areas. And you are right to suggest massive resistance, it would be tough. But we don't travel by horse and cart anymore, everything else is much more connected.

And Douglas can still be out there on it's own doing horrible shit for the detriment of its residents like charging for a piss at a kids park,  getting rid of the benches at the Rovers or not emptying the bins in a timely manner.

9 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Said it before.

Let us see Douglas,Onchan and Braddan combine and prove to everyone that a big authority is more efficient/well run/lowers charges and not full of bloat.

Until then I will stick with my low cost, well run rural authority with weekly bin collection.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Keep your hands off Onchan thank you very much we want nothingto do with Douglas with its miserable ways, charging for toilets, charging to park in their park, two weekly rubbish collections, high rates they can get stuffed.

Rural authorities may have a similar perception of Onchan as you have of Douglas. 

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Department of Infrastructure are responsible for the pay and display car park at Chester Street.

(Presumably they're now going to charge between 6 pm and 8 am and bank holidays).

It's a real shame if they are ditching the 2hr disc zone. It was a win win for shoppers and shops alike. A very short sighted decision. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Department of Infrastructure are responsible for the pay and display car park at Chester Street.

(Presumably they're now going to charge between 6 pm and 8 am and bank holidays).

They're ending the free parking on Levels 2 and 3...wasn't this instigated to alleviate the lack of parking on the Prom during the works?

Having finished fucking up the Prom to the regal degree that they have done, it's obviously time to start squeezing the Douglas shoppers again. Every penny counts these days, doncha know... 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

They're ending the free parking on Levels 2 and 3...wasn't this instigated to alleviate the lack of parking on the Prom during the works?

Having finished fucking up the Prom to the regal degree that they have done, it's obviously time to start squeezing the Douglas shoppers again. Every penny counts these days, doncha know... 

Unless its the car parks at the Airport !!! 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 7:54 PM, offshoremanxman said:

That’s the ironic thing though isn’t it? They can afford to lose £50K a month at the airport where most people expect to pay to park. But when local businesses desperately need the trade after covid they put up the town centre fees to make coming into town to spend money more difficult. It literally makes zero sense.

It's indicative though of the ingrained silo mentality that was identified during the Bell era and which was supposed to be addressed as a priority. DOI are interested only in their own revenue; any bigger picture is passed by.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

DOI are interested only in their own revenue; any bigger picture is passed by.

Yep, you see that with their traffic wardens too. Five minutes late on your disc and you get a ticket. Block the entire pavement with your stupid pickup when reverse-parking on Hope St and nothing. Priorities.

• Like 1