DBC Megathread

Max Power

10 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Braddan Commissioners new development in Snugborough is all singing and all dancing, and supposedly eco friendly. Do the DBC and Commissioners not meet to swap ideas or best practice, or even still aren’t some of the MLC Douglas Corporation Councillors are somewhat eco loons and very much into green matters, so no doubt will be friends with other like minded commissioners. 

There’s a thing called the Municipal Association where representatives of all LAs meet once a month, at the Braddan commissioners office. I’m one of two Douglas representatives attending these meetings regularly. We do exchange ideas and try to work together on issues. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Currently ego-powered, some say...?

Absolutely astonishing to me that the person initiating this grotesque & unnecessary piece of architecture was actually a green party candidate

Think I saw him casting around after construction had begun for people to suggest uses for it

25 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

There’s a thing called the Municipal Association where representatives of all LAs meet once a month, at the Braddan commissioners office. I’m one of two Douglas representatives attending these meetings regularly. We do exchange ideas and try to work together on issues. 

Again this is just another reason to bin the current system and go with an all-island local authority and all-island rate. Way too many expensive little empires for a population of 86,000.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Again this is just another reason to bin the current system and go with an all-island local authority and all-island rate. Way too many expensive little empires for a population of 86,000.

Difficult to disagree with you but you should have seen the reaction in the room at a recent MA meeting when this topic came up and the DOI minister said something similar. Like I said before, I am all for LGR but you’ll face stiff opposition. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Difficult to disagree with you but you should have seen the reaction in the room at a recent MA meeting when this topic came up and the DOI minister said something similar. Like I said before, I am all for LGR but you’ll face stiff opposition. 

It's not something that can be left to current LAs to solve. It just needs to be done. As they say Turkeys won't vote for Christmas. 

A robust plan needs to be drawn up by Cabinet Office and Comin and just impose it when the current LA election cycle roles around. 

DOI should be kept well clear of the process. There is no logical reason to involve that chaotic organisation. 

It needs to be Local Authority Replacement rather than 'reform'.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

It's not something that can be left to current LAs to solve. It just needs to be done. As they say Turkeys won't vote for Christmas. 

A robust plan needs to be drawn up by Cabinet Office and Comin and just impose it when the current LA election cycle roles around. 

DOI should be kept well clear of the process. There is no logical reason to involve that chaotic organisation. 

It needs to be Local Authority Replacement rather than 'reform'.

DOI are the umbrella under which the LAs operate, they would have to be involved in any changes.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

DOI are the umbrella under which the LAs operate, they would have to be involved in any changes.

Not in the set up of the new body. They would just need to be involved in the transfer of assets. 

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

It would probably require a new Govt Dept for local gov?

It would need to be some kind of independent body so it's not hamstrung by the inefficiency and waste of central government. Possibly a Parks & Recreation organisation?

When considering a change in methods, procedures, or organisation, in addition to considering how things can be improved you should also consider the ways in which things can go wrong.

And look at the success stories of any people likely to be involved in any rearrangement of local authorities.

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

You go ahead and merge with Braddan and Onchan and show us sceptics how brilliant it all will be.

On 4/2/2022 at 12:53 AM, Kopek said:

You may mean that, others may see him as breath of fresh air into local politics.

It doesn't matter whether your politics are left or right, that fresh air should be welcomed, it really is time for a change in political attitude in local and national politics?

Unless you want DC back?????

DC for a number of years put a stop to this newly proposed 2 week waste disposal scheme. That’s one thing I can give him credit for. 

You may mean that, others may see him as breath of fresh air into local politics.

It doesn't matter whether your politics are left or right, that fresh air should be welcomed, it really is time for a change in political attitude in local and national politics?

DC for a number of years put a stop to this newly proposed 2 week waste disposal scheme. That’s one thing I can give him credit for.