DBC Megathread

Max Power

4 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

What do you think about sending a truck full of cardboard to West Yorkshire rather than just running it to Richmond Hill? 

What's the cost difference and environmental impact between the two?  We seem to ship recycling everywhere and claim it's somehow eco friendly, I'd like to see a comparison between incineration versus shipping it around the world

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

What do you think about sending a truck full of cardboard to West Yorkshire rather than just running it to Richmond Hill? 

I would love to see the price comparisons ,especially given the huge rise in transport and freight costs ,  I bet its much cheaper to obtain  energy from the combustibles  by incinerating them on island , agree the metals and polly plastic  can be exported for recycling but  its time some honesty and common sense was brought into this argument ,and the true costs were revealed 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cissolt said:

I'd like to see a comparison between incineration versus shipping it around the world

And then leaving our used plastic lying in areas of SE Asia allegedly for "recycling" until they get pissed off with it and ship it back to us. Highly environmentally-friendly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

I would love to see the price comparisons ,especially given the huge rise in transport and freight costs ,  I bet its much cheaper to obtain  energy from the combustibles  by incinerating them on island , agree the metals and polly plastic  can be exported for recycling but  its time some honesty and common sense was brought into this argument ,and the true costs were revealed 

A lot of people don’t realise that the EFW plant only see skips as waste never as fuel, you could have a skip full of plastic and cardboard and it will still be charged at the same rate as household waste. So yes it’s probably still cheaper to ship the cardboard to Yorkshire.

15 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Gate fees at the EFW plant are only going up. Sending fewer truck loads there saves money, now and in the long run.

Does it shite.

There are minimum weight contracts with Suez. Also if the weight delivered goes down, the price per ton goes up, so we pay the same anyway. Plus the cost of shipping all our cardboard to West Yorkshire and our plastic to Wales. 

And if Suez don't get enough burnable waste up there they have to keep the place going with oil. With oil prices the way they are, guess who picks up the tab.

The whole rationale for your bin collection cut is, quite frankly, bollocks. You know it is, Falk knows it is, we know it is. Still, you get to wave your willy about how green you are, and I get to have shitty nappies festering in my bin for a fortnight.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

Have we had a thread on the mobile CCTV dog poo warden yet?  Additional CCTV on the prom too .  Have DBC got a massive pile of money they need to burn through? 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/cctv-to-try-to-stop-owners-leaving-dog-dirt-543825

At least they have saved some money on those pesky bin collections.

Extra CCTV on the prom might help them spot the broken walls they're neglecting to repair. 

The story started with DOI/DBC fighting each other over who would repair it... now I'm heating DBC can't get their insurers to pay out for it.

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

Have we had a thread on the mobile CCTV dog poo warden yet?  Additional CCTV on the prom too .  Have DBC got a massive pile of money they need to burn through? 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/cctv-to-try-to-stop-owners-leaving-dog-dirt-543825

At least they have saved some money on those pesky bin collections.

Perhaps they should Ashies advice on how to be impressed by a salesman selling a chewing gum removal machine. Maybe DBC can find a dog shit removal machine? 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bandits said:

It looks like Mr Watson is retiring from Twitter temporarily having been found out. 

Shame he can’t retire from the council. I’m surprised the Manx Labour Party aren’t looking into his allegations, or do they agree with them? 

9 hours ago, Youaintseenme said:

"

The council already operates a fixed CCTV network throughout the town centre and along the promenade, as well as some mobile CCTV units.

"

Any chance of seeing the quality of the footage from these?  Especially the ones in strand street at Christmas when all the xmas lights are between them and the street.

I have been in the room where the feeds all come back to.  It would be an embarrassment to a bloke running his one CCTV in his garden.  For what it cost it is an absolute disgrace and like most things DBC, it is not fir for purpose

The quality is apparently good enough to read the print of a newspaper!  I read they have a black fibre thing running through town to power them, is that the right term?

45 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Shame he can’t retire from the council. I’m surprised the Manx Labour Party aren’t looking into his allegations, or do they agree with them? 

I would have thought making serious allegations like this  and failing to substantiate  the claim  would have been enough to have him suspended from the labour party , it does not do the credibility of any of the MHK's or other members  any good 

the guy is out of control and I am afraid not living in the real world !