DBC Megathread

Max Power

Just what is happening to the public toilets that the corporation operate , they are now charging people to use the facilities at Nobles park  , when did the council make this decision  ?and why was there no consultation with the ratepayers , I was at a funeral yesterday   and several other people expressed their dissatisfaction  at the councils policy and failure to provide a service which people expect in a municipal park especially where many  parents with young children frequent , 

I can wait to see the shambles that will develop at TT time when thousands  of people regularly use the toilets while enjoying the beer tent and other corporate hospitality outlets , 

Another very poorly thought out decision and one which does the credibility of the councillors who must have supported this action  no good     , and which is not in the best interests of the general public    who are paying via their rates for public toilets  and wish the status Quo to continue 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Just what is happening to the public toilets that the corporation operate , they are now charging people to use the facilities at Nobles park  , when did the council make this decision  ?and why was there no consultation with the ratepayers , I was at a funeral yesterday   and several other people expressed their dissatisfaction  at the councils policy and failure to provide a service which people expect in a municipal park especially where many  parents with young children frequent , 

I can wait to see the shambles that will develop at TT time when thousands  of people regularly use the toilets while enjoying the beer tent and other corporate hospitality outlets , 

Another very poorly thought out decision and one which does the credibility of the councillors who must have supported this action  no good     , and which is not in the best interests of the general public    who are paying via their rates for public toilets  and wish the status Quo to continue 

Someone was on Mannin line today complaining about this, cruise ship tourists had to pay yesterday & apparently they were a disgrace inside as well!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Someone was on Mannin line today complaining about this, cruise ship tourists had to pay yesterday & apparently they were a disgrace inside as well!

Is their a reason they shouldn't pay like the rest of us? 

I'm against the concept of charging but it would be weird to have a cruise ship exemption when the GMP have to pay.

Public toilets should be free.   The children’s playground on the promenade is a disgrace, rusty and dirty, there is no reason why the playground cannot be sorted with a fence erected for the next few years or longer waiting for the DOI to sort the wall out.   The weeds that are covering the side track along the promenade do nothing to enhance the place.    Douglas Town Councillors should hang their heads in shame they are useless.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Public toilets should be free.   The children’s playground on the promenade is a disgrace, rusty and dirty, there is no reason why the playground cannot be sorted with a fence erected for the next few years or longer waiting for the DOI to sort the wall out.   The weeds that are covering the side track along the promenade do nothing to enhance the place.    Douglas Town Councillors should hang their heads in shame they are useless.

Again someone on Mannin line saying they’ve sent several emails to councilor Wells about sunken gardens but not had courtesy of response 

7 hours ago, Omobono said:

I've checked and as mentioned before, the pay mechanism was implemented to deter vandals. During busy times such as TT or in the summer by the splashpark, the mechanism can be disabled so the toilets are free. The funeral case you mentioned concerns me a bit and I will make enquiries if we can tweak the system so it maybe is free during certain times to accommodate this better. 

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Again someone on Mannin line saying they’ve sent several emails to councilor Wells about sunken gardens but not had courtesy of response 

Sunken Garden walls are being addressed but it's with the lawyers and insurance basically. That's the latest I've been told two days ago. 

• Thanks 1

CCTV on the entrances should be enough to deter vandals.  As previous comments have said, this is a terrible decision that should be reversed.  It's difficult enough to find a public toilet in Douglas without putting up a paywall.

Do the toilets at Lipton's...erm I mean the vaccination centre suffer the same vandalism?

Not helped by the fact the chairwoman seems to be on radio silence.

So if  a loved one dies as well as dealing with everything else you will have to ring Douglas Corporation and arrange for the toilets to be opened for a couple of hours…now that is absolutely unbelievable.    And never mind opening it for the T.T. these visitors do not pay rates.     This current lot that are running Douglas are unfit for purpose and need to get removed.   Shameless.

• Like 1

.......but who do you mean? The Old Guard or the newly elected?

We, Douglas voters put these new people in place , has Onchan done similarly?

It indicates a desire for a new Dcorp management. Why don't you do that in Onchan???