DBC Megathread

Max Power

Just now, Manx17 said:

Don’t mortgaged home owners get help just like if a person was in rented accommodation. I know people could at one time get the interest paid on their property so they didn’t loose their home.

In the UK there was that kind of assistance for a short time, a kind of housing benefit  I seem to remember.  But pretty sure it was withdrawn during the late 80s. 

2 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

That’s a shame if that has happened on the island too. As one never knows if they may become sick or redundant. 
hopefully there will be safety nets, for individuals what ever their needs are.

I know I’ve been on the phone most of the day trying to get a person somewhere to live and there is nothing available.  

Have you been in touch with Graih?  Really, this sort of issue needs to be dealt with by people who know how the system works and have a bit of weight behind them.

3 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

I’ve contacted everyone,  social services included. There is nothing. This person had to leave all their worldly possessions behind, they have a change off clothing. They also have medication and their doctors have lost their medical notes. Why that is I don’t know. This person has disappeared from the planet. I’m very worried for them. I wouldn’t believe it myself only that I’m trying to help them.

And Graih couldn't or wouldn't help?  

2 hours ago, Gladys said:
2 hours ago, Manx17 said:

Don’t mortgaged home owners get help just like if a person was in rented accommodation. I know people could at one time get the interest paid on their property so they didn’t loose their home.

In the UK there was that kind of assistance for a short time, a kind of housing benefit  I seem to remember.  But pretty sure it was withdrawn during the late 80s. 

It still applies to mortgage holders in the Island, though it's only interest payments that are covered, not capital.  Usually mortgage-holders are happy to switch to an interest-only plan for a while and I presume the Courts would be unsympathetic if they didn't.  The housing costs that are covered may even include insurance and repairs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Manx17 said:

I’ve contacted everyone,  social services included. There is nothing. This person had to leave all their worldly possessions behind, they have a change off clothing. They also have medication and their doctors have lost their medical notes. Why that is I don’t know. This person has disappeared from the planet. I’m very worried for them. I wouldn’t believe it myself only that I’m trying to help them.

Have you contacted Housing Matters?  I believe they're usually quite good at finding people new accommodation in an emergency, though there does seem to be shortage at the moment.  They could presumably also advise over the eviction.

Leader of DBC Claire Wells getting in on the act with the mantra ‘there is no magic wand’, according to the NPM this morning. She says it’s unlikely the damaged sunken gardens/promenade gardens will be repaired before TT. Judging by Douglas Corporation level of action it won’t be done this year either. A magic wand doesn’t come into it but Douglas Corporation will mess around on needless frivolity and waste, but will allow an area on Douglas Promenade which in effect is the shop window to the island, which is visible to visitors. First impressions, what a shitty dump, and a can’t be arsed attitude, blame everything and everyone.

On 5/1/2022 at 6:04 PM, Manx17 said:

There is a person in one off there housing estates that deals drugs from their property  and attacked a police officer. Douglas corporation cut her hedge and grass cleaned up the house for when she got out of prison. So they do help some people , it probably depends who you are like most things on the island. 

Or who you know?

Edited by 2112

37 minutes ago, 2112 said:

She says it’s unlikely the damaged sunken gardens/promenade gardens will be repaired before TT. Judging by Douglas Corporation level of action it won’t be done this year either. A magic wand doesn’t come into it but Douglas Corporation will mess around on needless frivolity and waste, but will allow an area on Douglas Promenade which in effect is the shop window to the island, which is visible to visitors. First impressions, what a shitty dump, and a can’t be arsed attitude, blame everything and everyone.

More people who were paid to do nothing over lockdown who now seem to find working for a living again just so difficult. The private sector funding this all have just been taken for mugs. 

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Leader of DBC Claire Wells getting in on the act with the mantra ‘there is no magic wand’, according to the NPM this morning. She says it’s unlikely the damaged sunken gardens/promenade gardens will be repaired before TT. Judging by Douglas Corporation level of action it won’t be done this year either. A magic wand doesn’t come into it but Douglas Corporation will mess around on needless frivolity and waste, but will allow an area on Douglas Promenade which in effect is the shop window to the island, which is visible to visitors. First impressions, what a shitty dump, and a can’t be arsed attitude, blame everything and everyone.

As I mentioned before, it's with the insurance right now. We also had a meeting between Councillors and MHKs the other day, including the DOI minister, where we discussed this among other things. It's being worked on. 

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

As I mentioned before, it's with the insurance right now. We also had a meeting between Councillors and MHKs the other day, including the DOI minister, where we discussed this among other things. It's being worked on. 

But it has to be fixed so why not just do it? If the insurance pay up, good. If they don't then the job has still got to be done so sooner or later ins. or not just get on with it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

But it has to be fixed so why not just do it? If the insurance pay up, good. If they don't then the job has still got to be done so sooner or later ins. or not just get on with it.

Insurance is never that simple, what’s to say the insurance won’t want it rebuilt differently? If you rebuild a wall and you can’t get insurance it’s just an even bigger liability headache. That said I’m surprised it was able to be insured anyway, it’s been flooded and therefore possibly weakened quite a few times over the years.

Edited by Annoymouse
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

So basically, you are saying if insurance don't stump up then sod it, it can stay a mess? Bet the people who voted you in are happy to hear that kind of attitude

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Insurance is never that simple, what’s to say the insurance won’t want it rebuilt differently? If you rebuild a wall and you can’t get insurance it’s just an even bigger liability headache. That said I’m surprised it was able to be insured anyway, it’s been flooded and therefore possibly weakened quite a few times over the years.

This could be true, but it could be a case of the insurance company having a backlog, the need for a loss adjuster to inspect the damage. It may be a case that DBC aren’t being proactive and chasing the claim to the point that the insurance company are sick and tired, and they approved payment. Either way, the excuses are wearing thin, and really DBC need to bite the bullet, start the works and get IOMG to stump up. The insurance company will mess around as they don’t want to pay. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

So basically, you are saying if insurance don't stump up then sod it, it can stay a mess? Bet the people who voted you in are happy to hear that kind of attitude

That’s not what I said.