DBC Megathread

Max Power

4 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Insurance is never that simple, what’s to say the insurance won’t want it rebuilt differently? If you rebuild a wall and you can’t get insurance it’s just an even bigger liability headache. That said I’m surprised it was able to be insured anyway, it’s been flooded and therefore possibly weakened quite a few times over the years.

Given the frequency that the tide now over-tops the first line of defence, ie. the promenade wall, I would think that the garden walls would be virtually uninsurable.

Sounds like a Mexican standoff between DBC and DOI as to who will buckle first under political pressure to get it restored.

• Thanks 2

The repairs are, and always have been, the financial and actual responsibility of DBC.

Insurance is to provide an indemnity. i.e. you pay for the repairs and the insurer indemnifies you subject to cover, adjusting,  averaging and excess.

Its become blurred because in auto policies, to avoid rip offs, by the auto repair industry and insureds, insurers have become much more involved in things like approved or nominated repairers.

Doesn't apply to sunken gardens municipal walls. DBC get it done. It has to be done whether there’s an insurance pay out or not. @Amadeus, don’t let the Chief Executive/Finance pull the wool over your eyes.

6 hours ago, Amadeus said:

As I mentioned before, it's with the insurance right now. We also had a meeting between Councillors and MHKs the other day, including the DOI minister, where we discussed this among other things. It's being worked on. 

5 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

But it has to be fixed so why not just do it? If the insurance pay up, good. If they don't then the job has still got to be done so sooner or later ins. or not just get on with it.

4 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Insurance is never that simple, what’s to say the insurance won’t want it rebuilt differently? If you rebuild a wall and you can’t get insurance it’s just an even bigger liability headache. That said I’m surprised it was able to be insured anyway, it’s been flooded and therefore possibly weakened quite a few times over the years.

46 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Given the frequency that the tide now over-tops the first line of defence, ie. the promenade wall, I would think that the garden walls would be virtually uninsurable.

Sounds like a Mexican standoff between DBC and DOI as to who will buckle first under political pressure to get it restored.

14 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Doesn't need a magic wand to escalate it to the insurance directors, or to summon up some stonemasons. One would have thought a couple of phone calls would be enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The repairs are, and always have been, the financial and actual responsibility of DBC.

Insurance is to provide an indemnity. i.e. you pay for the repairs and the insurer indemnifies you subject to cover, adjusting,  averaging and excess.

Its become blurred because in auto policies, to avoid rip offs, by the auto repair industry and insureds, insurers have become much more involved in things like approved or nominated repairers.

Doesn't apply to sunken gardens municipal walls. DBC get it done. It has to be done whether there’s an insurance pay out or not. @Amadeus, don’t let the Chief Executive/Finance pull the wool over your eyes.

Except you can imagine the kick-off if the work is done and the insurer declines part or all of the claim.  The insurer will adjust payment of the claim to what they think is a reasonable indemnity ie to put you back in the position you were before the loss.  Even for property damage, insurers will at least want a couple of quotes. If you proceed without their clearance you do run the risk of not having your claim met in full. 

It is a different matter if either side has been dragging their feet in progressing the claim.

To add, a good broker will help you with the claim. 

Edited by Gladys

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It is a different matter if either side has been dragging their feet in progressing the claim. 

My guess is theres some mileage in this . DBC reluctant to do anything till DOI sort out the new sea wall. No love lost it seems between the two is there !!   

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Weather has been great basically for a month, only properly rained twice. Loads of stone masons on the island. Could have been back up and done by now easy. Everyone involved is a useless pathetic gimp.

It’s Herr Gimp to you. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

You've got to agree its pathetic. Just put it back up.

The wall at Malew Church gets knocked down 3 or 4 times a year, its always back up and painted within a week.

Even the DOI manage to resurrect the wall at the Gooseneck on a regular basis.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

I couldn't agree more.  It's six months now since the damage was done and even a month later there were complaints about the site, so they can't say that people haven't been bringing it to their attention.  (It also suggests how quickly damage must have been repaired in the past).  But even three weeks ago they were trying to fob off their inactivity, claiming "the authority should avoid 'doing the same job twice'", something that would leave the mess for many years.  Doing the same job twice is basically the definition of maintenance, something they seem keen to avoid..

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add link
  • Like 4