DBC Megathread

Max Power

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

@Amadeuscan you please throw us a clue as to what this postion even is in the real world?

FB_IMG_1656183291656.jpg

Sounds like a posh title for a run of the mill job , doing what god knows, but is it necessary ?. Probably not but its likely the person above this position wants a even easier life. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Sounds like a posh title for a run of the mill job , doing what god knows, but is it necessary ?. Probably not but its likely the person above this position wants a even easier life. 

Somebody employed there must have a child/niece/nephew etc coming back from uni shortly.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, 0bserver said:

@Amadeuscan you please throw us a clue as to what this postion even is in the real world?

FB_IMG_1656183291656.jpg

Perhaps should be prioritizing spending more on desks over additional salaries.

How on earth are you going to fit the successful applicant onto that desk? It’s overcrowded as it is.

Maybe invest in some chairs as well.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Last para
  • Haha 3

On 6/24/2022 at 11:32 PM, slinkydevil said:

Went into Douglas for the first time in about 2 months for a meeting. I try to avoid the place now. Have to say the prom looked really shabby already. Trying to find a parking spot was a challenge and when I finally found one opposite the Jubilee clock, you walk to one end to pay and theres a big sign over the machine saying pay at the other machine right over the other side. Get there and then it says 'You have 4 mins to leave the carpark.' Alright calm down machine! Overall just a shitty experience using stuff that looked eastern bloc. Place looks tired and devoid of any soul. Shame really.

Apparently the old bus station car park is still open with no payment as all payment machines back in one by steam packet so use that or sea terminal for quick visits 

25 minutes ago, Banker said:

Apparently the old bus station car park is still open with no payment as all payment machines back in one by steam packet so use that or sea terminal for quick visits 

But that's privately-owned (now), and so will have reverted to contract parking or however they are using it.  So anyone leaving their car there, no matter for how short a time, is at risk of action from the owners.

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But that's privately-owned (now), and so will have reverted to contract parking or however they are using it.  So anyone leaving their car there, no matter for how short a time, is at risk of action from the owners.

Correct but as far as I know no warning signs up & I don’t think they’re allowed to operate as paid parking under agreement with IOMG 

I don't know if they ever got permission to operate non-contract parking, though it wouldn't surprise me if it had been part of a deal.  But the lack of warning signs doesn't mean that people are entitled to park there for free (or at all) - any more than would be to park on your lawn if you hadn't put a  No Parking sign up.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Posted on wrong megathread, so reused.

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I don't know if they ever got permission to operate non-contract parking, though it wouldn't surprise me if it had been part of a deal.  But the lack of warning signs doesn't mean that people are entitled to park there for free (or at all) - any more than would be to park on your lawn if you hadn't put a  No Parking sign up.

Probably not but not sure what you'd be guilty off and would it stand up legally if they tried to ticket you etc with no warning signs up or payment infomation. 

15 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Probably not but not sure what you'd be guilty off and would it stand up legally if they tried to ticket you etc with no warning signs up or payment infomation. 

You wouldn't be 'guilty' of anything, but the owners would be entitled to issue you with an invoice for a charge which they could then sue you for if you didn't pay.  I'm not sure there even a need for there to be a notice, though it would help their case if there was.

50 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

You wouldn't be 'guilty' of anything, but the owners would be entitled to issue you with an invoice for a charge which they could then sue you for if you didn't pay.  I'm not sure there even a need for there to be a notice, though it would help their case if there was.

But theres absolutely no indication thats its a private park , or your not allowed to park . Its also not cordoned off and signs up to warn parkers that they could be fined. I'm pretty sure without the above notices its wide open for a successful challenge . 

52 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

But theres absolutely no indication thats its a private park , or your not allowed to park . Its also not cordoned off and signs up to warn parkers that they could be fined. I'm pretty sure without the above notices its wide open for a successful challenge . 

Not really, though there might be challenge over the amount that was charged.  But even assuming there are no notices (and they're notorious for being less obvious on private sites), you can't just park anywhere you want on private land if there's nothing there to forbid you.  Even apart from the fact that it's been a paid car park till earlier this month. 

The current lack of enforcement is mainly suggestive of the lack of dynamism of the present owners (which is why it should probably come back into public ownership) but there's no guarantee that such tolerance will continue.

32 minutes ago, Kopek said:

If you abuse the opportunity to park there for your own convenience and then they fence it off so that no one can park there. Is that a win win or win lose?

They won’t do that. It’s all moved to contract parking as Bradley seems to have done some sort of deal with the DOI that looks slightly less like he is absolutely taking the piss out of them by paying nothing for a developer lease and then re-selling public car parking on the exact same plot. So he’s still re selling parking but only to corporates for private parking. Whoever signed that deal at the DOI must be either mentally retarded or totally corrupt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Kopek said:

If you abuse the opportunity to park there for your own convenience and then they fence it off so that no one can park there. Is that a win win or win lose?

I’m assuming they are leaving it open to piss off government by reducing parking income at their sites for some reason connected to their refusal to allow paid parking on the site until development starts