DBC Megathread

Max Power

There are 3 options

Kane and IoMG just let things drift.

Kane returns the land after May 2023 because it hasn’t even started work.

Kane & IoMG accept the contracts have been frustrated by Covid and negotiate new deadlines.

Drifting isn’t acceptable from a taxpayer view point.

The other two options are going to depend on Kane finding new anchor tenants/franchisees for the hotel and cinema, and the bottom not dropping out of the economy ( for the restaurant and shop units ) or the housing market for the sale of the residential units.

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

You say that as if you believe that all pandemic related problems are over? They’ll be lucky if they get any takers in the next 5 years. 

If a reset is required then the sensible thing to do is to put it back out on the market to see what other interest there is in developing it. Otherwise, as JW says, it will just drift along and then nowt will happen for the next 5 years anyway with no guarantee that Kane will do anything either within the 5 years or even after.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Steady Eddie said:

Post covid I would imagine that the hospitality, cinema and retail groups they had lined up to take units simply won’t be risking developing or taking on heavy leases in the IOM for quite some time. You can’t blame them for things slowing up. The economy is totally screwed it’s going to take years to get back to normal. 

I'm not entirely convinced Kane really had any hotel or retail groups seriously interested in the first place.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It will be Summerland 2.The only serious interest they’ve had is a bonkers deal from Stephen Bradley. They’re not going to get anyone else to develop it - just like the Summerland site which has been empty for 20 years now. 

I presume this is the same Stephan Bradley who is Chair of Business Isle of Man, one of the DfE's Boards.  Though they do seem to be looking for a replacement:

Are you an outstanding business leader who could head up the Business Agency board? We want you!

The Business Agency covers the Island's main export sectors and supports the infrastructure of the Island. We are looking for a Chair who will mobilise the board and establish a close working relationship with the Agency’s Head, Agency staff and the wider industry sector to develop a successful public/private partnership. 

If you:
✔ are a thought leader
✔ have board experience
✔ are politically astute
✔ have strong business experience

£15,000 a year.

19 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

So Bradley didn't? If so, that's probably why they offered him the Bus Station project to move him out! 🤣

How can you draw that conclusion. 

It was a fixed 2 year appointment. Come to an end. 

Think he/Kane got the bus station land before he was first appointed.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, John Wright said:

How can you draw that conclusion. 

It was a fixed 2 year appointment. Come to an end. 

Think he/Kane got the bus station land before he was first appointed.

It was a question.... and the second paragraph was tongue in cheek, hence the 🤣 emoji.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Summerland has cliff stability issues and no one in their right mind will go anywhere near that until it's shored-up.

Not sure its that bad tbh . There was reported issues in years after the rebuild etc but this was a lot to do with Dr Hamm complaining and attempts to get more compensation . It was pinned and anchored and netted  , visible back in those days from Pizza level through the back glass paneling . You could even go out through a fire exit and touch the rock face. In all the time I was working there , 15 years plus , I never witnessed or heard of any rock fall. I think it definitely suited peoples agendas . 

Edited by Numbnuts

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Summerland has cliff stability issues and no one in their right mind will go anywhere near that until it's shored-up.

It'll take some serious shoring up!

It looks like pretty stable rock from a distance, but yes, that can change at anytime. 

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Lots of the issues with the cliff were made up by Dan Tynan whose ex wife owned one of the houses of Strathallan Road who was allegedly going to sue government for millions if anything happened.

See my finished post above 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Not sure its that bad tbh . There was reported issues in years after the rebuild etc but this was a lot to do with Dr Hamm complaining and attempts to get more compensation . It was pinned and anchored and netted  , visible back in those days from Pizza level through the back glass paneling . You could even go out through a fire exit and touch the rock face. In all the time I was working there , 15 years plus , I never witnessed or heard of any rock fall. I think it definitely suited peoples agendas . 

The cliff is owned by property owners sitting above it. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, buncha wankas said:

The cliff is owned by property owners sitting above it. 

Are you sure?

the cliff is angled, not vertical. The boundary will be a vertical slice. It’s perfectly possible for a cliff to have different owner top and bottom.

However, the top owner is entitled to support from the lower owner, and the lower owner is entitled to protection from falling debris/rockfall from above.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Are you sure?

the cliff is angled, not vertical. The boundary will be a vertical slice. It’s perfectly possible for a cliff to have different owner top and bottom.

However, the top owner is entitled to support from the lower owner, and the lower owner is entitled to protection from falling debris/rockfall from above.

Yes I'm not sure about that either. Seems if that was the case they wouldn't have been able to build in the first place.