DBC Megathread

Max Power

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

Just been on my way for my annual trip to Noel's emporium and noticed that DBC have a new CCTV system being installed on hillside avenue.  

Who is actively monitoring the cameras?  Is this legal?

Screenshot_2022-07-22-10-12-11-31_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

I’m sure the appropriate processes were followed. In all fairness I have no issues with CCTV on Douglas/Island Streets, and hopefully the scumbags causing the trouble and antisocial behaviour will think twice.

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

Just been on my way for my annual trip to Noel's emporium and noticed that DBC have a new CCTV system being installed on hillside avenue.  

Who is actively monitoring the cameras?  Is this legal?

Screenshot_2022-07-22-10-12-11-31_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

22 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

And whats it for. Is someone thinking there cat it being fed gin, or are they looking for unicorns 

12 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Would this be a police request, if so I think there grasp of covert needs to be revisited. Or is just a lazy way of saying, we no its you me laddo. Put a foot wrong and your in for a serious chinese burn(not sure of the woke status of the statement. ie whom  I'm offending)

Yes, it's legal. No it's not monitored. It can't be covert, there have to be warning signs, just like with speed cameras. 

It's there so the recorded images can be looked at when needed. 

It also has an effect on crime - even if the cameras are dummies

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes, it's legal. No it's not monitored. It can't be covert, there have to be warning signs, just like with speed cameras. 

It's there so the recorded images can be looked at when needed. 

It also has an effect on crime - even if the cameras are dummies

I didn't realise that warnings were required for speed cameras on the Isle of Man.  I don't think the UK govt ever got round to requiring them.

9 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

I didn't realise that warnings were required for speed cameras on the Isle of Man.  I don't think the UK govt ever got round to requiring them.

Signs, or visible, which is why they’re painted yellow or there are signs. There’s a Human Rights decision. Each force has its own best practice guide, and of course they put up dummy signs.

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Would this be a police request, if so I think there grasp of covert needs to be revisited. Or is just a lazy way of saying, we no its you me laddo. Put a foot wrong and your in for a serious chinese burn(not sure of the woke status of the statement. ie whom  I'm offending)

If you are not doing anything wrong then why worry?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Signs, or visible, which is why they’re painted yellow or there are signs. There’s a Human Rights decision. Each force has its own best practice guide, and of course they put up dummy signs.

Sorry - are you including the UK or just the IoM?

As someone who had a business in central Douglas a few years ago that was subject to vandalism, asking the Corpy for help with CCTV is a joke.

They don't want to know, start quoting GDPR regs and cant help unless instructed by the Police to look and the Police are much the same.

If I was a crim' I would not be that worried about the DBC CCTV - Crack on boys,  girls and non binarys?  🙂

3 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

As someone who had a business in central Douglas a few years ago that was subject to vandalism, asking the Corpy for help with CCTV is a joke.

They don't want to know, start quoting GDPR regs and cant help unless instructed by the Police to look and the Police are much the same.

If I was a crim' I would not be that worried about the DBC CCTV - Crack on boys,  girls and non binarys?  🙂

It would also appear that they use the cheapest equipment going judging by some of the shots when asking for help

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Speed cameras is what we need we would be afloat with money then, millions for the health service etc.  The petrol heads need sorting out big time.

I’ve always been set against speed cameras but I’d be all for them now, I don’t know what happened after the ‘pandemic’ but  it seems people just do whatever speed they want, there were the odd few idiots that didn’t stick to 30mph previously but there is a now a whole gaggle of dickheads that don’t stick to any of the 20mph limits, even existing limits like when it’s school time and there is a big sign with flashing lights, to make matters worse some of those turning out of the schools are some of the worst offenders.

• Like 1