DBC Megathread

Max Power

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Oh come on. We even let you continue your game of musical chairs in the exec office. Seems to be your national sport now. That, and thinking you're better than Douglas. :flowers:

Most authorities are better than Douglas Corpy.  The only thing Corpy are good at is wasting money and recharging their waste as rate increases to their residents. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Manx17 said:

I didn’t ask you to comment in the first place. I found it rather disgusting and just posted it . When  Douglas corporation seem more focused on camper vans or motor homes and are evicting vulnerable people. We are not in North Korea. 

Maybe my reply wasn’t as clear as I had hoped, so let me rephrase this: regardless of what you heard and from who, there are two sides to every story. I cannot comment in more detail but most people would understand what I mean. 

On 2/22/2022 at 1:14 PM, Roger Mexico said:

I mentioned before that I'd put Douglas BC's 22 employees on over £50,000 a year (in their 20-21 accounts, so presumably as at April last year) in some sort of context.  So I though I'd look at the smallest English District Councils to see what the equivalent figures for them.  These have similar powers to Douglas, though sometimes more extensive - they have quite a lot of control over planning for example, so they would need to employ more professional planners.

Now even the smallest DCs in terms of population in England are about twice the size of Douglas (pop 26,677).  According to Wiki, the smallest is currently Melton in Leicestershire with a population of 51,209[1].  But it's the best comparison we'll get.  Their websites are suppose to give the same sort of salary breakdown as Douglas's Accounts do, though it's not always easy to track the info down.  But here are some examples I could find:

Melton (pop 51,209):  Officers on over £50,000  -  13

Eden    (53,253):   Officers on over £50,000  -  9

West Devon[2]   (55,796):   Officers on over £50,000  -  6

Copeland    (68,183):  Officers on over £50,000  -  11

I've included the larger Copeland as it's geographically the nearest to us (it's most of the Cumbrian coast).

Now even some of these may be a bit padded (I'm not sure why Melton needs an HR and Communications Manager and a 'People Manager') but Douglas has about twice as many highly paid staff for about half the population.  It's also noticeable that the information supplied is much more detailed.

[1]  I've excluded Rutland from this list as it's a Unitary Authority with greater responsibilities (eg Social Services) and also the two sui generis ones (City of London and Isles of Scilly), as by definition they are different from everything else.

[2]  Info downloaded from here - see page 8 - note that these are actually shared with South Hams Council 

You have too much time on your hands

Like I said, most people would have understood what I meant. We are aware of this case and the stories making the rounds. Unlike Manx17, I cannot comment in detail, but I will make town hall aware and they can decide if they wish to take further action to clarify things. 

4 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

He was talking to his advocate, looked like they had just left the court. So I don’t think there is anything more to it. He looked very distressed 

The court won’t make a possession order unless it’s as a last resort, after full enquiry into the facts. 

If it can be remedied the court will give the tenant every chance.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The real problem you have with DTC is the sort of things you mention. It’s about who you know and nothing else. If you have a mate in there who is able to treat someone like a complete twat that’s what will happen as there seem to be very little effective oversight. The actual councillors appear to have little control over the day to day operations. So if someone’s mate inside the corporation decides to bully a tenant because they’re being egged on by a mate then that’s what happens. 

A wonderful example of how someone posts something and someone else then compounds it to keep the rumor and hearsay mill rolling at high speed. Our contact details are public. You think someone in town hall wronged you? Email me and I will look into it. 

21 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The court won’t make a possession order unless it’s as a last resort, after full enquiry into the facts. 

If it can be remedied the court will give the tenant every chance.

I have a bit of a problem in believing that a court made a possession order because a tenant owed a weeks rent as “Manx 17”appears to be claiming.

1 minute ago, hissingsid said:

As I remember he was in prison and was under the impression his rent was being paid by Social Security.   He committed suicide I think.   Stand to be corrected.

That's the one when he was released he found all his belongings in a skip.

• Like 1