Isle of Man Post Office Investment - will it improve deliveries?

AOR

The Post Office is getting its first ever automatic parcel machine.

There was a thread on here, but it appears to have gone (although it shows up in a Google search), about a new machine the Isle of Man Post Office is investing in. I think it is super as I am hoping it will improve our incoming parcel service.

When I send parcels from Isle of Man, I can just about guarantee it will be delivered in mainland UK the following day.

However, I find parcels can often take a week or more to arrive here from UK and I find this frustrating. I do allow at least 24 hours due to extra transport and maybe another day to allow for weather and other eventualities.

@Roger Mexico said he found deliveries ok from UK. I said that next time I will follow the tracking. This is one from today. It's a small parcel (>15cmx15cmx15cm, 500g) and I have sent many similar to UK and they are usually received the following day - normal common or garden post.

164707998_ParcelUK-IoM.jpg.ba5ffc0c03ec8c5004b2ed5faa21bbaa.jpg

Sorry to labour the point, but here is another I am waiting for, tracked just now. This will fit into an A5 Jiffy and very light.

Is it the Isle of Man PO at fault, and if not, what are the Royal Mail doing?

1712609845_ParcelUK-IoM2.jpg.7cc844b2b480b7d3ddf7c6996eb47611.jpg

Edited by AOR

22 minutes ago, AOR said:

The Post Office is getting its first ever automatic parcel machine.

There was a thread on here, but it appears to have gone (although it shows up in a Google search), about a new machine the Isle of Man Post Office is investing in. I think it is super as I am hoping it will improve our incoming parcel service.

A parcel sorting machine here won't speed things up in the UK.

Apart from when the weather is stupid and boats delayed etc, everything that arrives on island overnight goes out that day.

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Apart from when the weather is stupid and boats delayed etc, everything that arrives on island overnight goes out that day.

Except yesterday when everyone was told to hide in a bomb shelter for a total non event!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

Thank you. So in that case, the UK Royal Mail are royally 'taking the piss' as the vernacular goes.

Was it yourself who contributed to the disappeared thread? You knew folk who worked there.

The Isle of Man Post Office management need to get a grip of this. 

4 minutes ago, AOR said:

Thank you. So in that case, the UK Royal Mail are royally 'taking the piss' as the vernacular goes.

Was it yourself who contributed to the disappeared thread? You knew folk who worked there.

I did contribute to that thread, weird that it has disappeared.

I know one person who works up there sometimes, as a casual parcel sorter. He said the impact of the machine will be to mean he won't be sorting parcels for extra cash next christmas. It won't actually speed things up that much, because it'll make the rounds longer. It will reduce headcount theoretically, but getting rid of 3 hours a day staff at less than £10 per hour is hardly likely to be the solution to all their problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Ah, that old chestnut.

I have give up after BBC excluded us from the storm warning maps.

Well, it seems the Royal Mail have given up on us. Seriosuly though, why should they be bothered, we're  separate country, tax jurisdiction. We only find people who love us when it's TT and that.

Back in the day I was told all the dodgy or not quite perfect goods (kettles, TVs, even food) went from UK to Isle of Man. It's one better than throwing them in the bin and it's only the Isle of Man after all.

"Ah, a parcel for the Isle of Man. Chuck it in that corner, we'll wait until we get a full load to make it worth our while going on the boat" sort of thing.

(See OP for details)

Edited by AOR

It would be nice if someone could explain what happened to the previous topic - I can't remember an entire thread disappearing before, rather than being locked or purged of offending comments.

Both the parcel options look like they are held up transiting through the UK.  Weather can't help, especially if there are boat cancellations, but eight days seems a bit long.  For what it's worth I received a parcel[1] posted on Monday, yesterday on Friday[2].

[1]  Technically I suppose a package as it was delivered with the rest of the post rather than separately by parcel van.  But it sounds like AOR's were also packages.

[2]  They only suspended services for part of the day (10 - 3 nominally, though I suspect for less)

1 hour ago, AOR said:

Not sure what IOM post office can do about Royal Mail delays? Probably about as much as you can do about Hermès delays ie Nothing!