Isle of Man Post Office Investment - will it improve deliveries?

AOR

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Both the parcel options look like they are held up transiting through the UK.  Weather can't help, especially if there are boat cancellations, but eight days seems a bit long.  For what it's worth I received a parcel[1] posted on Monday, yesterday on Friday[2].

[1]  Technically I suppose a package as it was delivered with the rest of the post rather than separately by parcel van.  But it sounds like AOR's were also packages.

[2]  They only suspended services for part of the day (10 - 3 nominally, though I suspect for less)

I've had this delivery problem for some time now, well over a year. I will always allow for weather and accept that there will be additional handling stages to get across Irish Sea but even so, it's a poor service. It does look like it is UK side because it is Royal Mail that recives the parcel and allocates the delivery time. 8/9 days is ridiculous, and it can be more.

It's hampering my business as I can't confidently know if I can receive supplies in time. It is worrying for me because my customers in UK are stunned how quickly they receive items from me, eg order item 4pm from Isle of Man and it is delivered next day am. 

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Not sure what IOM post office can do about Royal Mail delays? Probably about as much as you can do about Hermès delays ie Nothing!

Someone needs to be checking up on this. It's not rocket science or some sort of mystery black art at work.

Chairman of Post Office should be asking what is going on. Isle of Man is being treated as some sort o half-arsed sleepy backwater or a remote Island in the Outer Hebrides or a rock off Shetland or something, when in fact our supply line is pretty damned good, bar a handful of days in the year due to the boat not sailing (ie when we all stock up on bog paper and bread)

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

It would be nice if someone could explain what happened to the previous topic - I can't remember an entire thread disappearing before, rather than being locked or purged of offending comments.

Both the parcel options look like they are held up transiting through the UK.  Weather can't help, especially if there are boat cancellations, but eight days seems a bit long.  For what it's worth I received a parcel[1] posted on Monday, yesterday on Friday[2].

[1]  Technically I suppose a package as it was delivered with the rest of the post rather than separately by parcel van.  But it sounds like AOR's were also packages.

[2]  They only suspended services for part of the day (10 - 3 nominally, though I suspect for less)

Some glitch or error. I’ve liberated it. No idea what happened

29 minutes ago, AOR said:

I've had this delivery problem for some time now, well over a year. I will always allow for weather and accept that there will be additional handling stages to get across Irish Sea but even so, it's a poor service. It does look like it is UK side because it is Royal Mail that recives the parcel and allocates the delivery time. 8/9 days is ridiculous, and it can be more.

It's hampering my business as I can't confidently know if I can receive supplies in time. It is worrying for me because my customers in UK are stunned how quickly they receive items from me, eg order item 4pm from Isle of Man and it is delivered next day am. 

Someone needs to be checking up on this. It's not rocket science or some sort of mystery black art at work.

Chairman of Post Office should be asking what is going on. Isle of Man is being treated as some sort o half-arsed sleepy backwater or a remote Island in the Outer Hebrides or a rock off Shetland or something, when in fact our supply line is pretty damned good, bar a handful of days in the year due to the boat not sailing (ie when we all stock up on bog paper and bread)

To be fair Royal Mail did have a massive amount of staff off with Covid last 18 months & weather has not been great recently but I don’t think Iom post have much leverage with Royal Mail, in same boat as Channel Islands, Orkney etc

So an update. Both parcels as detailed in the first post arrived today. So that is "a day early". Should I be thankful (yes of course I am), but they were sent on 13th and 14th February when Dudley, Eunice and Franklin were twinkles in their mother's eye. I suppose under promising is better than over promising. Fortunately I was in, but I was thinking about having to stay in tomorrow, the original delivery date.

I shall let 'Gladys' blow over before resuming my watch on all this.

There is something not right with parcel post to Isle of Man from UK, and as we are effectively a customer to Royal Mail we have a right to query the service provided. Chris Thomas MHK is chair of Post Office and maybe he needs to make enquiries to make improvements.

Edited by AOR

31 minutes ago, AOR said:

So an update. Both parcels as detailed in the first post arrived today. So that is "a day early". Should I be thankful (yes of course I am), but they were sent on 13th and 14th February when Dudley, Eunice and Franklin were twinkles in their mother's eye. I suppose under promising is better than over promising. Fortunately I was in, but I was thinking about having to stay in tomorrow, the original delivery date.

I shall let 'Gladys' blow over before resuming my watch on all this.

There is something not right with parcel post to Isle of Man from UK, and as we are effectively a customer to Royal Mail we have a right to query the service provided. Chris Thomas MHK is chair of Post Office and maybe he needs to make enquiries to make improvements.

Where would parcels be posted on Sunday 13th February seems unlikely,so say 14th which then goes through various hubs depending on where posted, boats were cancelled Wednesday, Friday & Sunday & considerable disruption on roads last week in UK . If delivered today it probably arrived on island on Saturday, you would probably have got it much earlier without the storms & I don’t think you’ve hit much to complain about 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 5:16 PM, Banker said:

To be fair Royal Mail did have a massive amount of staff off with Covid last 18 months & weather has not been great recently but I don’t think Iom post have much leverage with Royal Mail, in same boat as Channel Islands, Orkney etc

Does the parcel post to here come over on the same boat as parcels to the CI and Orkney. Some trip.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Does the parcel post to here come over on the same boat as parcels to the CI and Orkney. Some trip.

Probably be quicker sometimes 😂 Seriously though none of the offshore islands have any leverage over Royal Mail, they are a private company & we are a very small part of delivery business, if Amazon weren’t happy then they would be all over trying to sort out any issues 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve recently had to buy a small piece of home medical kit to replace one I bought 10 years ago that had failed.

Not in stock from any UK or EU suppliers. Listed in stock with a US on line retailer.

Ordered, paid, then told it was on back order.

It was despatched a week ago. The tracking has been amazing, update every time it’s swiped through at a depot. It’s now in London. But what a convoluted route.

picked up Stafford Texas

scanned through North Houston Texas

scanned through Chicago International distribution centre

scanned through Chicago O’Hare Airport 

Scanned through Houston Johnson Airport

scanned through Heathrow

( scanned through is my shorthand for two entries, arrived and departed )

It can’t be cost effective to send the thing from Houston to Chicago and back to Houston before putting on the transatlantic cargo plane.

On 3/2/2022 at 1:29 PM, John Wright said:

I’ve recently had to buy a small piece of home medical kit to replace one I bought 10 years ago that had failed.

Not in stock from any UK or EU suppliers. Listed in stock with a US on line retailer.

It was despatched a week ago. The tracking has been amazing, update every time it’s swiped through at a depot. It’s now in London. But what a convoluted route.

picked up Stafford Texas

scanned through Heathrow

It can’t be cost effective to send the thing from Houston to Chicago and back to Houston before putting on the transatlantic cargo plane.

However, having departed  in London on 3/3, gone to East Midlands and arrived at IoM Post HQ at 6am Thursday, it’s not yet made the final mile.

On 3/2/2022 at 1:29 PM, John Wright said:

picked up Stafford Texas

scanned through Heathrow

That happens quite a lot in USA, it's not necessarily the same carrier/courier company that moves it.