Who elected this clown ?

Shake me up Judy

He has a very good point. We pay the UK millions for defence each year despite the fact they have not once in their history defended us against anything.

Indeed their history of "defence" crown dependencies isn't something for us value. They decided not to bother defending Jersey who remained occupied throughout most of WW2 before "liberating" them after the war was safely over, that's it.

The fact is that we are not a war faring nation and no government or terrorist organisation in the world has any reason to want to attack us (with the possible exception of our contribution and deference to the UK armed forces).

In the extremely inconceivable situation that some entity wanted to damage us so enthusiastically and irrationally that all diplomacy failed, the UK would undoubtedly defend us anyway do to our proximity to their shores and motivated by their own interest. The fact is we'll never know as it will never happen.

Paul Craine was recently on the record criticising our shamefully low contribution to overseas aid being fixed for yet another year at around £2.5 million. We currently pay in excess of £3 million in "defence" against enemies that simply don't exist.

In the words of Tony Benn " If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people". The casualties of UK "defence" have been many for most of its history and far from limited to service men and women. It's time we stopped dressing up our contribution to this slaughter as something it's not and used the money to help people who continue to be in genuine need the world over.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Shake me up Judy said:

Manx villages have always had more than one idiot

I guess it takes one to know one. What do you seriously think we need defending against? As Amadeus has rightly pointed out, impartiality is our best defence if any were needed.

It strikes me people in favour of this sort of thing are on some kind of ego trip in the same way some people following bullies at school makes them feel important.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Silly bugger.

Well there you go. That's about as rational as the argument for the IoM to contribute to and support UK armed forces gets. 

It's a nonsense and well done to John for calling it out instead of blindling accepting it as constitutional and therefore incapable of change regardless of its ideocracy like Alfie seems to have done. 

15 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I guess it takes one to know one. What do you seriously think we need defending against? As Amadeus has rightly pointed out, impartiality is our best defence if any were needed.

It strikes me people in favour of this sort of thing are on some kind of ego trip in the same way some people following bullies at school makes them feel important.

So you think that if the western world had no defences then maniacs like Putin would just leave us be? History would suggest otherwise. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

If we got occupied and Putin took Jurby for the strategic airstrip the locals wouid see the Russian mercenaries off in a few weeks. Even if they trained in the outer reaches of Siberia they won’t have found a more inhospitable place on earth than Jurby and Andreas and their residents. 

Oh I don't know, there's plenty of accomodating wenches in Jurby!

• Like 2